The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Are your clutches (ground driven) slipping, or your radar/gps calibration messed up (hyd. drive)?
Lids closed tight?
Pressurization lost?

Does it read that you're under applying on the monitor, or are you covering the acres with approximately 30% left when you should be empty?

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
30% error is too much for some factor or combination of factors to be correct. Several calibration factors can be slightly off and multiply the problem.

One of the first things to do is set the implement width to match the guidance tracking or the average coverage if you are hand steering the unit, not the actual machine width.

The factor entered for the tire size can also have a huge effect. It's easiest to set it so the cart speed matches a GPS speed or another known accurate speed source. It's best to do this with firm tire pressures and the cart half full.

Make sure your scale is zeroed with the weight of the empty collection unit attached when beginning a calibration.

Often the first product put into a hopper is contaminated from other products present in the handling system, don't try to get an accurate calibration until you have done a few acres.

After settling on the above factors, you need to manually fine tune the meter displacemt factor to match the result that you have proven to yourself on a field scale scenario, not a few pounds in a sack. To do this, go into the meter setup and change the meter displacement. If your meter is applying 30% light you can simply change that factor that is presently displayed to a value that is 30% less, if you have the variable rate option, this will instruct the computer to make that meter turn 30% faster because the value you entered is only 70% of what it was before. If it does not have variable rate servos on the transmissions, set the transmisson to the new transmisson speed shown on the meter setup page. This is all assuming this is a mechanical drive 1910.

Clear as mud !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Haystack, you ever had to compensate for metering system that over applies by 13%? Consistent over applying can't figure out what is going on. Did the wheel calibration, did the gps figuring, checked scale and yet consistently over applying ? JD service guy is stumped ...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Try a new sensor on the wheel speed. The same sensor is used for the meter speed so swap one out and see. Only takes 5 mins. Check to make sure when calibrating the revs are being counted correct. One of those sensors could be wrong also.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Haystack, you ever had to compensate for metering system that over applies by 13%? Consistent over applying can't figure out what is going on. Did the wheel calibration, did the gps figuring, checked scale and yet consistently over applying ? JD service guy is stumped ...
Yes, yes, yes. This is a given on a 1910 when a yellow roller is selected. When I took a Deere "know it all" to task on this he admitted that the software is skewed so that roller will not plant a light rate. The reasoning? With a big machine on a small field, they never ever want to hear that you had to plant the same field twice with some expensive seed because the rate was too low.

If I had to do a small field of canola based on the calibration I would probably have reduced the rate by 8 or 9%. For the ham fisted you could easily do this by adding 9% to your scaled sample weight as you key it in during the calibration. This will make the meter turn 9% slower so the rate displayed and applied will be close.

The proper way to do this for large scale jobs of hundreds or thousands of acres with the same seed lot is to go back in and adjust the meter displacement as you prove to yourself that it is planting heavy or light.

If its planting 5% too heavy, change the meter displacement to 105% of its present value. The larger displacement in that field makes the computer slow the meter by 5% to solve your problem.

Planting light / make displacement smaller / meter goes faster

Planting heavy / make displacement larger / meter goes slower

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the responses.
We did check with differebt sensors, same result.

Haystack, would a bag check not tell me exactly how far out I am? Driving preset length to get predetermined weight with fan off bag under meter?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only thing that matters is what's coming out the bottom of the tank. The display numbers only tell you the math from the meter displacement and rotations. So when you displacement is off its all crap. Just crank it out or if you don't want to crank and don't have the hydraulic option drive like you said with the fan off.

Wet farmer is right about doing a couple rounds and checking your rate. My rate is only right after the headlands 20% of the time.

On one of our carts we had trouble with the wheel circumference measurement. We loaded it half full at a known tire pressure and did the measurements and found we were more accurate. But put a couple inches of mud on your tires and those numbers will make you light.

I generally do a 1/10th rate check every other time we fill and adjust by percentages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.