The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The yellow meter roller only shows to be able to seed a minimum of 2# per acre and I’ve been told they are not very accurate at the extreme low or high end of their specifications. Is it possible to change the main drive sprocket to slow down the transmission enough so that it doesn’t have to be set all the way to zero? I’m wanting to seed a particular brand of sesame and the company recommends a 1-1.5 pound per acre seeding rate. At $900/bag I don’t want to be overseeding even a half pound per acre! Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I suspect your accuracy will get even worse as you turn the roller slower. You will probably be able to notice cogging as the roll drops the seeds. Is there something you could blend to serve as an inert filler?

·
Registered
890 Posts
jrk3332, There is a company in north dakota called " air seeder parts", that makes a yellow twist roller. Actually they make all the colours up to orange. I got all my meter rollers made up with these new rollers. The twist in the rollers helps keep the seed constantly flowing. The advantage is you dont have any stop in material flow at slow rates. I went with these rollers to prevent oat dust from bridging. I also like the fact when seeding low pound crops like canola, the seed will move continuouly instead of stopping when the meter hits the flat partition on the roller. Hope that makes sense. Call your local john deere dealer about these rollers. Air seeder parts or even the company Needham seeder parts may have ideas on that low of a seeding rate.
If you are seeding that low pounds make sure your spring clutches on each meter are not slipping. You may not see slipping show up on the monitor at that low pounds. I would for sure replace the middle spring clutch. Once your two rubber seals are gone on the spring clutch it a sign you will have problems.
I think john deere sells pails of inert material for planters and seeders.
I also think it is worthwhile to read the John deere 1910 thread on the combine forum. Lots of good info on making sure your cart is working A1!

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
At $900/bag I don’t want to be overseeding even a half pound per acre!
I’m just impressed you can buy something more expensive than canola seed.
The seed weight is probably 1/2 of even the smallest canola seed though.

Which reminds me, can you be assured such a small, flat and slippery seed will not be “vacuumed“ out from under a meter?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I’m really wanting to get down to 1#
Sorry I was unclear with my description. By adding tuning rings to the roller you have to speed up the transmission to get same output. If you add extra extra tuning rings you should be able to get under the 2lbs. The closer you get the transmission to 50 the more accurate the roller will be. You might have trouble with flow tho if you restrict it too much.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If you’re going to make or convert a roller to a specialty item for low output I would suggest filling the outsides of the flute with tuning rings and leaving the active flute portion in the centre. My experiences in the past make me think this works better than two short flute sections on the outer edges of the roller for low rates. But I would also worry about syphoning, everything would have to be just right, with the tank pressurization for that meter coming from an inch or two down stream from the meter discharge. Personally I’d still want to bulk up the intended product somehow.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just got my continuous twist rollers made up. One important note on these rollers is to increase the tuning rings because they add strength to the rollers so they dont bend or tear apart. I also increase the tuning rings on the yellow roller so the transmission can run at a higher number on the gauge. I will give a review this summer how they work but for now i think it is a good improvement.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have seeded timothy and alfalfa down to 1 pound per acre with a yellow meter with a lot of tuning rings installed. But Valmar make a nice little tank to add on to an air seeder and inject seed into the air stream. For 900 bucks a bag I'd call Valmar/Salford and ask about an add on tank. I had to shut off my air when I turned or it sucked it out. Valmar is great with small seed and low rates

·
Registered
890 Posts
Continu-Rate twisted rollers
I wished the engineers at moline illionis would of thought of the stainless steel meter housings and the continual twist rollers.
Good on Airseeder parts for bringing new innovation to our Deere tanks. I personally rebuilt my 1910 tank with stainless and now I really enjoy the ease of operation of all components. It was a big job but well worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wished the engineers at moline illionis would of thought of the stainless steel meter housings and the continual twist rollers.
Good on Airseeder parts for bringing new innovation to our Deere tanks. I personally rebuilt my 1910 tank with stainless and now I really enjoy the ease of operation of all components. It was a big job but well worth it.
Hi, how did the continual twist rollers go?

·
Registered
890 Posts
how did the continual twist rollers go?
I was happy with the results.
1. Calibrating was more accurate.
2. Feeding product out was consisted with less seed skips
3. No skips from oat dust caking up in the bottom hopper.

I know Deere recommends taking the rollers a part at the end of season and this is a good time to try the continu-rate rollers out. check the brushes also.
Main advantage is roller is always accepting product as opposed to the oem roller which has a momentary product stop when the roller turns. Its the lighter weighted seed which can bridge if roller is allowed to stop.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I was happy with the results.
1. Calibrating was more accurate.
2. Feeding product out was consisted with less seed skips
3. No skips from oat dust caking up in the bottom hopper.

I know Deere recommends taking the rollers a part at the end of season and this is a good time to try the continu-rate rollers out. check the brushes also.
Main advantage is roller is always accepting product as opposed to the oem roller which has a momentary product stop when the roller turns. Its the lighter weighted seed which can bridge if roller is allowed to stop.
Probably still not as good as Morris meter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts