The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1978 f2 yesterday and went to drive home today and could not get the combine to go into road gear. I can shift all thru the 3 forward gears, but when I push the ground speed adjustment lever forward there is no increase in speed. The hydraulic level was low so I added 303 hydraulic oil which is what I was told that is supposed to be in it. Can anyone help me with what I might need to check I think it is a linkage problem, but not sure how to be sure. The combine has been sitting since January waiting on a buyer. The reason I think linkage is an issue is it looks like the lever has been being pushed into the guard kinda hard and pushing it up for more range of motion.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
do you have an operator's manual? IIRC there is a section on linkage adjustment. If he has been hammering the lever into the end of the slot for years, it sounds like an adjustment is in order.

you are putting the 1st and reverse lever in neutral when you try to work the 2nd/ 3rd lever, correct?

Trans/hydraulic oil will work, especially in the summer, but these are actually supposed to be running Dexron. Dexron III is the modern equivalent. It may not lube as well, but has high heat resistance, which IMO is a big thing.

as far as the variable not working, I would lube everything up, and with it idling in neutral, work the variable lever forward and back, holding it in each position for a minute or so. Usually they just get some air in them, and you have to work it out.

if you need a manual, which you will to find all the grease zerks and learn the adjustments, hit ebay and look for one. make sure you get the right book for the year.

if you strike out on ebay, we have a few for sale.

Good luck, and congrats on buying one of Gleaners best machines!

·
Registered
107 Posts
STOP! Drain Hydro oil. JD 303 and dexron III does not mix well. Oil will look like pudding. Have some one check to see if hydro cable is moving the actual valve that adjust speed while you move the lever. Valve is located behind the driver side front tire on top of hydro. Do this with engine off, so as to not run over someone.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
tanner81, do you have the variable speed belt drive, or the hydrostatic? big difference. I think Okiefarmer thinks you have a hydro and I think you have the variable belt. Please tell us which one you have.

and okiefarmer is definitely correct about mixing oils. if you "topped off" with transmission/hydraulic, better change the oil. if you drained the system and re-filled with it, you may be OK.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
hey there we just purshed a f that seems to be doinf the same thing as any one found out whats going on there please help
todd, answer questions in your own thread, that is the best way to get answers quickly. good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.