The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys know about reliability on this unit. Personally, I haven't really seen very many around. Looking to get a 4WD to pull a 41' air seeder. What are they worth? Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: 1981 IH 4386

the only thing i would be concerned with on that model is if you would have enough hyd. flow and cooling capacity. alot of them units use alot of hyds. some of the older tractors did not have that kind of flow. we ran into that on a 9130 with case ih 1200 planter with bulk fill. pulled it fine just not enough oil flow to run it right even with pto pump. that would be my only concern. i would do some checking around other than that they are a alright tractor.

·
Registered
3 Posts

ya i run a 1981 IH 4386 on my 35 foot air seeder and it walks away with it, i have no trouble with pulling power or hydraulic output, it runs the fan steady, even in the hills. As for reliability its been good, i did have to to replace an engine sleave this spring, because the sleave orings gave out, but parts are vary affordable. That is one nice thing about the IH. They also used common parts for example, the diffs are interchangable. All in all its been a good tractor for us, i cant complain

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

my dad had one he used it to pull 2 big diskers and 32ft cultivator he bought it beat up and wore out and rebuilt the whole thing and sold it. it was his first 4wd he bought when he started farming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts