The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1985 Chevy C70 that has always had trouble with the passanger side front brake . We are about to put on the 3rd set of calipers . Usually the brakes won't release after being applied . This time brake fluid is blowing out where the brake line goes into the caliper . The brake line if ok . Help !!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Like Scott mentioned, if you have not replaced the rubber brake line, that would be the next step now as replacing the caliper over and over won't solve the problem. I know, I had the same issue on an older half ton chevy and it was pulling to the right as it happened and I went through everything, doing the back end as well with new wheel cylinders and then replaced front calipers that were not very old either and nothing helped, this was after talking to mechanics and them giving thoughts on what the culprit should be. Since the master cylinder was almost new as well I thought the only thing that could be left is a possible swelling issue inside the brake hose. Sure enough, I took it off and with almost 200 PSI of air pressure I could NOT blow through the hose. So I cut the hose open, behind each crimped on end and then at a metal clip that is wrapped around the hose mid way along and there it was .... a combination of the steel band having rusted on its inside surface acting like a hose clamp crushing the hose and also the hose was swelled internally. I replaced both front hoses as I took the other hose off and cut it open by that clip and sure enough it was bad too but just had a little more passage way left.

So that's what I would say, take off that hose and test it with compressed air and by blowing in one end with your mouth ( after cleaning it of course ) as you should be able to blow through it. If its bad, do both sides as no doubt the other one isn't the best either.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Sounds like you getting junk in there. Do you have all the shields and covers in place? Right front wheels get allot more water and dirt sprayed on them when spending time on gravel roads, that's why the right front pads wear faster and calipers seize up and give more trouble. Is there some sort of air scoop on the shield that is bringing in dust and water and such? Maybe block it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.