The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2090 hours. I have owned it for 35 hours. 30 on corn, switched to beans and ran about 5 hours and find it throwing embers out the back. Something is getting real hot, smoldering the chaff and coming out from the rotor through the chopper and out the back. I have no experience with rotaries and any suggestions on where to start would be great.

Thanks

David [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you find no bearings or metal on metal somewhere making sparks there are 2 places on red combines that can do this. The driveshaft that runs on the right hand side. It is inside and can have straw build up so tight around it and causes friction and then fire. Take shield on right side up front and look in and to the rear with flashlite. Also where driveshaft goes thru 2 rubber guards at rear of machine you can pry them open and look with flashlite and tell if packed full. Powerwash for however long it takes. The other hot spot is under rotor gearbox. There is a round dome shaped cover at back of rotor that will build up with dust and material. Stick the powerwasher wand under the rotor gearbox and boil the heck out of that area. If this round dome piece has pulled away from where it is mounted it lets extra material get into where the rotor gearbox shaft turns and will start a fire. I have caulked where this dome piece mounts if there is gaps. You have to take the cover off that is up above the rotor gearbox to see the domed piece. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If your front rotor bearing mount is worn it can allow straw to wind and get hot like this.Usually happen when conditions are tough.There are shim washers that adjust rotor to housing clearance but likely the small antiwind ears are worn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey RedMechanic, We have a 1688 that has about 1600 hrs on it. It started throwing sparks underneath the rotor gearbox. Is there anything specific I need to look for or just start to pressure wash the heck out of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only thing I have found is this domed piece that surrounds the back of rotor and the gearbox. Take cover off above the gearbox and make sure domed piece hasnt pulled away from where it mounts. If there is a gap there more material can get in uner the gearbox and compress in around splined shaft. I have seen them start burning even if the domed piece is fine.I think it can depend on weather. Just spend some time and really boil out under the gearbox. There is a oval bottom under the gearbox that holds the material so its hard to get it out. If you have been into this area with the rotor out you would see how all of this is put together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts