The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1992 9400 2wd with a hole in its engine block that I might be able to get for $15,000. It has 3100 seperator hours and is in otherwise good shape.

Would this be a good deal? If so, how much would an engine from a burned combine or something like that cost me?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I know you say it is a 1992, but which engine does it have, the 359 or 414?

Can you do the work yourself, or will you have to hire it done?

Unless you steal an engine (i.e. get it really cheap, don't actually steal one, and I put this in here because someone on this site will really think I am telling you to steal it) and do the work yourself, listen to markat425.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't see where that is a deal. It's not uncommon to see 3000 hr 9600's at auction for $20 range. I would think you would have to pay in the neighborhood of $5k for engine plus your work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The swap wouldn't be hard to perform, just a few bolts and nuts. Just need a crane, fork lift, etc. to move the engines around. But that's way too much for that machine IMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well 3000 hrs are pretty low hr's for that year,My opinion if you can get an engine for that 5000.mark you would have a pretty cheap combine,I have run 9400's for years and they are very relyable,I guess if I needed a combine I would grab this one,I heard on RFD TV a couple weeks ago that good 9400's in nice shape and low hr's bring as much a 80.000 for a 97,model.with most bringing50+
also the engine is very easy to change.
The combiner

·
Registered
590 Posts
I will change my tune.
I was thinking $25-30,000 for early 90s 9400s, but thecombiner is right. I did a quick check on Tractorhouse and you would be lucky to get 92 9400 in good shape/3100 hours for under $35,000.
If it is a 92, it should have the 414 engine. If you can switch it all out for less than $15,000, it should be an ok deal. Finding the engine may be the tough part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep in mind they don't build small conventional combines anymore,go to machinefinder.com
and check prices,I went in and the cheapest 9400 was a 89 with 3400 sep hrs for 36,000

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See, now you guys are putting ideas back in my head. I was checking on tractorhouse too and thought it would be worth it but decided against it. Now I'm changing my thinking again.

If I could somehow find an engine for under $10,000, maybe it might go. The big farmer I work for has a huge shop and I know he would let me use it and my more mechanically inclined coworkers would probably help me for a few cases of beer.

But like you guys said, where do I find an engine? Are there any tractors or other combines that run that bigger engine? Would it be very hard to put an engine from say a 9500 or 9600 or something like that if I found one?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'd think you could find a reman engine somewhere and still be money ahead with a good combine. Price of machine surely seems to put you on the right track to that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
First, verify it is a 414, it should be.

That is a popular engine in the 7000 series tractors and used in the 94x0 walker combines and then the 9550 walker and 9560 and 9570 STS in multi valve versions. There should be some around.
I suggest calling Abilene Machine:
1 800 255 0337 Solomon, KS location
1 800 866 1504 Belmond, IA location

Their website is www.abilenemachine.com/

Since you have access to a shop and help, it certainly is worth looking into.
Also, just check with your local dealer, you never know what they might have laying around, or may be able to source one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called both Abilene Machine locations. Kansas had a short block for $3,800 with a $1,200 core. Iowa has one for $3,180 with a $1,200 core. Hmm

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Dude, IMHO, there's no hmmmm about it. I know it's easy to spend other people's money, so be very careful about the rest of the machine, but sure seems you'll end up with a very nice machine for less than 20k. And, I'll say, I've never changed an engine on a combine, but I wouldn't be scared to try, I can visualize it as being fairly straight forward.

Good luck to you, you have an interesting decision on your hands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good luck,I will check back to see how you came out,If I wasn't so darn busy andup here in central ND I would come help you put it in,I know 9400's pretty well
the combiner

·
Registered
530 Posts
You would be better off getting a take out engine that has never been overhauled, Abilene can sell these to you too. Stay away from anything they have thats been overhauled, short blocks long doesnt matter. Ive even had problems with bare blocks they said maged good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I chickened out on the combine, I'm just not comfortable buying something needing a new engine.

I've hemmed and hawed around on this board lately asking about several pieces of equipment I had interest in buying but never had the guts to buy anything. I finally pulled the trigger on a 2000 JD 7510 from Mississippi on ebay. I don't need the tractor really but considering the deal I got on it I can bring it up here and trade it for something I do need and get a road trip out of the deal as well.

Thanks for your attention anyway. If things go good for me this year I might be looking at buying more stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts