The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a very nice 1992 1680 combine. I was just wondering what all you CIH gurus have learned about this machine over the years. What can I do to modify this machine so it will perform as well as a 1688 or 2188?

·
Registered
594 Posts
If it still has a specialty rotor on it install one of the AFX style impellers on the front of the rotor. I believe this is the single best mod you can do. Kile Mfg, Loewen, and Stewert Steel make them. If any augers are worn out, install Lundell Plastics wearshoes on the flighting. Generally cheaper than replacing auger and they last forever. Is your maching a long sieve machine? If it isn't, there's a company that sells a kit to update the spreaders to the newer curve bat design and drops them down to spread more of the chaff coming off the sieve

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If you can, please look thru your control panel for this site and list your location.

What headers do you have, and what crops will you harvest with it? That will help target some of the mods people have done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can, please look thru your control panel for this site and list your location.

What headers do you have, and what crops will you harvest with it? That will help target some of the mods people have done.
I have a 30' 1020 flex for beans and a 1010 head for wheat and barley

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Replace the steel feeder chain to double strand plastic. We put an air cleaner off of an 1688 on ours. Precision beater works great from what I hear. Concave levelling kit. Put in newer style straw chopper knives. I've probably missed a few things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replace the steel feeder chain to double strand plastic. We put an air cleaner off of an 1688 on ours. Precision beater works great from what I hear. Concave levelling kit. Put in newer style straw chopper knives. I've probably missed a few things.
Does it help to turn up the fuel a bit to crank out a few more horsepower or does this lead to bigger issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
1680 updates

If you have a lot of residue to spread the new chaff spreaders work real well. C & D Enterprises has them for $435.00 316-706-307

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm not sure about turning up the fuel but what I've done as made sure the fuel pump has enough fuel pressure by putting on new electric lift pump, new piston pump and new overflow valve on injection pump from tork teknology. Governor in pump works much better at 35psi. We also extended the air intake higher to not suck in as much dirt. With 1688 cleaner and 30" of pipe it's quite high but the air cleaner never needs to be blown out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure about turning up the fuel but what I've done as made sure the fuel pump has enough fuel pressure by putting on new electric lift pump, new piston pump and new overflow valve on injection pump from tork teknology. Governor in pump works much better at 35psi. We also extended the air intake higher to not suck in as much dirt. With 1688 cleaner and 30" of pipe it's quite high but the air cleaner never needs to be blown out.
Thanks. It's amazing how much the farmers see thàt the engineers didn't

·
Registered
913 Posts
We ran gordon bars in our 1680, worked better especially in wheat. We were able to thrash out the heads better especially in the hard threshing wheat. Didn't have a chopper but we ran a Vittetoe chaff spreader on the back of it as well. Ran it for years with a 30ft 1010, JD 853 all crop head, and a pickup head. Also added the reel up and down switch onto the main handle with the header lift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts