The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are looking at a 97' TR98 with 2200eng. and 1800 sep hours. has had the bubble up auger updated and the oil pan gasket changed. what else should i be looking at on this machine. and what model of corn heads will fit on this machine and what are good heads. i think they said it has the Genesis motor. we are new to the tr's. have had axial flows for a long time, but ours burnt this fall and now we are shopping. any other thoughts and info are greatly appreciated.

chadh

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What are they asking for it? Watch the H frame that holds the concaves to the rotors, if its bent you get whites in the wheat samples. To fix that problem it is about 8k.

·
Registered
664 Posts
well, we have a 98 and i feel that its an awesome machine. i also think that the chopper steals way too much horse power. we have run an a 8 row and a 6 row corn head on ours. the biggest problem is there is not enough clean grain handling. these combines were not made for a 12 row.

ours also has the bubble update and a new pan gasket. we also put a new auger in and replaced some of the exauhst. it was cracked and making a ticking sound.

Matt

·
Registered
37 Posts
No, the clean grain elevator is NOT big enough. It can handle only about 2200 bu, per hr. It will get overwhelmed easily in corn. Watch the yield monitor very closely. If it fills up under the cleaning sieve it will soon get in the cleaning fan and thats a disaster. Just drive slower. The TR-99 has a 3/4 inch wider elevator and that helps, but the combine will still easily overload the clean grain system.
The Genesis engine the best ever. It is a Mizar on fuel and plenty of power. The 98's have most of the bugs out of them so it is a very good machine.
Look to see that the varible feederhouse has a grease zerk on the inside bearing of the large variable pulley. this very important to make sure this bearing gets grease daily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the clean grain big enough for a 8 row head in 200+ bu. corn at 4mph. the machine has a 8 row corn head and a 30 ft. flex head. we are corn, soybeans and milo. and alittle wheat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Genesis engine the best ever. It is a Mizar on fuel and plenty of power.

Not in my experiance its no mizer. 12 gph isnt that good and we had a nieghbor with 2 TR99's and they did 14gph. the new Iveco engines are doing around 9 with higher HP. but I will give them 5 stars for reliabilaty. Our dealer has sold tons of those engine and I asked him if he ever overhauled one. He said something like 4 of them. and one of them never got an oil change for 5000hr if I know the guy that had it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we went and looked at the machine and i am looking for a nicer and better maintained machine. they haven't changed filters since 04' and there was 300hrs on the engine oil filter. main reason we were interested in it was the price. $45000 for the machine and both heads. but not knowing much about these machines i'm affraid it might cost me in what i don't know i'm looking at.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i wouldnt touch that machine with a 20ft stick. any machine that has been poorly maintained will be junk, dont care what brand. you can rest assured that machine did not get greased on a daily schedule either than

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts