The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started "farming" again this year. Last time actually farmed anything was in the mid 80's. Playing with strip cropping to see what we can do with it. Planted beans April 18th and corn May 23rd.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I've often wondered if it would have less weed and disease pressure because it's not so much of a monoculture. Maybe some of the benefits of intercropping. But everything else is more difficult logistically. Spraying, etc. And in my case irrigation.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I read up on this in the past a bit. I believe the corn is supposed to get a pretty decent yield bump with more sun, like 20-50 bushels. Think there are some articles and newagtalk posts with more details if you google.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I read up on this in the past a bit. I believe the corn is supposed to get a pretty decent yield bump with more sun, like 20-50 bushels. Think there are some articles and newagtalk posts with more details if you google.
A close friend of a cousin of mine was doing this back in the 1980's: you are correct, Bob, the extra sunlight hitting the outside rows of each corn strip is where the benefit comes from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts