The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share my thoughts on our first year with the 6088. We harvested wheat at 80-100 bushels, soys at 45-60 bushels and corn at 140-180 dry bushels. The corn was 25-35% so some was well over 200 wet bushel/ac. The corn got frosted early so test weights were mostly around 50lbs and some fields the cobs were punky in the middle. This made some varieties harder to thresh and so sometimes rotor loss was a challenge. In wheat and soys we run a 36' 2062 and in corn a 3408. As a point of reference we also have a 2588 with 30' 2062 and 1083 although we did not use it in corn.

Performance wise it is so close to the 2588 that they are nearly one in the same. In wheat the 2588 speed was faster than 6088 but it had a smaller head and when you do the math it came out to the same thing. The 6088 did gain an advantage in soys because of the larger head with both machines running about the same speed before the cut job started to suffer. Generally speaking this machine performs quite well but it is certainly not overpowered. We don't have accurate fuel records to be able comment on usage, maybe next year.

We love the in cab seive adjustment. I didn't care for the bucket seat but my son liked it. Go figure. A few things I like better on the 6088 - location of pro 600 monitor, grain loss monitor display, it has tracker level indicator, single latch side panels, larger platform to stand on (both sides), faster unloading (discharge spout is another issue I'll deal with later), self tensioning feeder chain is great, hydraulic and electric hookups for head are easy, header latch is easy, larger fuel tank is great, especially if you can talk the fuel truck driver into going down the road to the field and fill it up for you! Only four daily grease fittings is nice.

Dissapointments - The climate control in the cab would start flashing 02, I think that's a fault code. The spout on the auger is a real problem. Firstly, it dribbles corn constantly. Why can't Case get this figured out? Also it hangs lower when in the cradle than on previous models. Once after unloading into cart and we reached the headland I hit the return auger button and turned right while the cart driver turned left. The spout on the auger came in low enough to fold back the mirror on the tractor. Another time the cart driver turned behind me while I was backing up (I have no idea why) and the spout hit the side of the cart, knocking off the camera and wrecking the spout. We put on a new spout which is suppose to be an improved version. Let's just call it Dribble Spout II. This auger situation is a constant pain and you always have to be on your toes to prevent doing damage. It's a hugely bigger issue than on the 2588.

We have the electric folding bin extensions which are a real bonus for us due to our storage situation. However there seriously needs to be an alarm come on when you start the seperator if the extensions are not up. Also an alarm when you put the combine in 3rd gear would be a good safety idea. I think I only went on the road once with them up. Luckily no trees or hydro wires that time. Some kind of a sensor to warn if the extensions are getting close to something, eg. tree limbs (I didn't do this) or top of shed door (I did do this) would be a good idea also. I just fear some day we are going to do some serious damage here.

I was cleaning the combine the other day and must have accidently bumped a switch for the under panel service lites. Today the battery was completely dead. That switch needs to be a push button type, not a toggle switch.

I'm sure there's a few more things, both good and bad, I can't think of right now and I'll edit them in later. If you have question, fire away. How was your coffee?

Another thing I also like is the % power readout.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on your crops and conditions. If you get into mud very much then the extra HP would be nice for sure. If you harvest mostly irrigated crops and the ground is nearly always dry then I don't think it's necessary.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Looking at a 7088 recently, I noticed they made the access panel for the grates maybe a third smaller than it used to be. Can you get grates in and out easily, or did they just make an already unpleasant job harder?

Are you satisfied with the 36' header in wheat? Ours is great in dryland, but in good irrigated I sometimes wish we had a 30' just so I can go a little faster. We're definitely not breaking any speed records with the 2388.

Oh, the coffee was okay, I'm about to get a second cup.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think the access panel for the grates was any different.

The 36' in wheat was fine. I didn't care for it so much in soys because it's offset and sometimes it was getting off the ground a bit out at the end on the right side. I think I would rather have a 35' 2162 which is centred.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I just looked at a 7088 at the dealer's lot today and CaseIH did cover up part of the opening for grate access. You can tell the opening is the same size as it used to be, but they bolted in a plate that extends about an inch above the shaker arm and the access panel is smaller to compensate. Looks like a pain to slide grates in and out. Maybe it's a 7088 thing and not on a 6088...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I believe it's a 2010, it hadn't been on the lot for long. I should have taken a picture, but the only reason I was at the dealer was to retrieve my phone which fell out of my overalls pocket in the parking lot yesterday. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing to look at the combine.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I agree with everything u said. It was a really good time with that machine. Then again 185-200 bushel corn helped. Seemed with it and a 3408 head I could really eat corn. 6mph at times. Had to slow to 5.5 or so when unloading on the go. I agree I like the changes on the a post and that new style grain loss monitor. In cab sieves were nice but I tried the function where u hit corn and it is supposed to set everything where it was last time and that doesn't work lol. So I guess set things the old fashion way and do minor adjustments in cab haha

Also it does suck that the auger hangs lower and the hydro handle sucks. I got used to it. But it still sucks. I like the extra funcuality and the button on back. I adjusted the fd70's pitch a lot more than I ever did on the olD style. Overall very happy

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
casefarmer, I wondered when you were going to show up. Do you have two speed feeder? We don't and I don't think the corn head is fast enough to go 6mph and make a decent job of it. I want to check into speeding up the head. Also I had trouble with the 2062 pushing dirt. The saddle is tipped all the way back and I have a wedge on the bottom of the adapter but the knife still seems too close to the ground. Was this a problem for you? What tire size do you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could use an explanation on how the auger height is different. Does it hang lower just as it swings or also when its extended. I just traded my 2377 for a 6088 and hope there won't be to many unpleasant surprises. Does the electric bin extension cause problems in high wind. Heard that could be an issue. How high is it when extended? Didn't think about having to fold to avoid power lines. Casefarmer tell me again why the hydro handle sucks? I will be going from a 25 1020 to a 30 ft 2020. Any opinions on the 2020 would be interesting. The drapers seem to have issues in our area with all the terraces and rough terrain not to mention the cost

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have the 24' auger. When it is extended it is way out there and very high. It's only a problem when folded in. The boot on it is much bigger than the old style and hangs about a foot lower. We have not had a problem with the bin extensions in wind but I don't recall that situation ever presenting itself. Personally I had no problem with the hydro handle. You will like the hp increase over the 2377.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I haven't run one yet but from sitting in them i actually like the hydro handle a little better. The angle is no where near as good as the older style but the buttom of the grip can be adjusted further down, which is alot more comfortable with my big hands. It doesn't squish my pinky into my ring finger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 24' auger also. Sounds like you never want to fold when the cart is close by. Did you ever plug the clean grain elevator. That was an issue on the 2377 but sounds like they addressed that. Regarding the flashing 02 on the climate control. My 2377 always did that. It seemed to always keep the right temperature and I could never remember to ask my serviceman about it. I went and looked up wether my machine has the 2 speed feeder and it does with the stone trap which I have never had. I will be running a 3408 also. Should be able to run high ground speeds if we have a short crop.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are you talking about Automatic Crop Settings? What didn't work? It doesn't automatically change your machine settings just because you select a different crop type.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What does that function do?

My understanding is that you can "save" your crop settings or is it monitor settings when you are switching to a different crop and then if you return to the same harvest conditions and crop you can push a button and the combine changes back to the saved settings.....am I close?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yeah I'm late. Been driving to florida last day and a half. U set rotor/fan/top-lower sieves and save that under a name. Then do the same for when u get into beans. But when I went back to corn. And applyed the settings rotor went but sieves didn't. I would just use for temporary adjustments only. Also yeah the auger in saddle seems lower....

2 speed is on this machine. I put her in 2nd and heck yeah that worked great!!! Back to 1st for beans.

On the feeder angle I did notice that it really needed adjusted up. But I didn't have the time I want to rock that sucker back where I can leave 2 inches almost in really rocky-tree limb areas...

Never had that issue on that draper model. We always had a issue with the feederhouse falling and rideing on the ground and that caused massive wear issues. So this year there like yeah sit it on the ground 5 seconds and raise. Then it calibrates it. Where was this info 4 years ago!!!! Guess u guys probably knew..... Should have asked. So since we learned that to be sadly honest we ran them right for the first time in 4 years.

The hydro handle is just akward and I don't like the unloader in/out. U'll see. When u hit it to kick on the unloading auger!! Haha. I did get used to it finally

1 - 18 of 18 Posts