The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster- I had the bolts that bolt an axle entension to the flange on the end of the right axle break. The combine came down on the tire, screwed up the flip up shield on the side, even bent the subframe along the side of the combine where the auger bed pan is located, and the jack shaft that runs the cleaning fan etc is at. the dealer assured me before even coming out to the field that they could get right on it. now that it's there they are telling me its going to be 2 or 3 weeks before its done, and i probably should just rent a combine. Now i didn't know, and have told them this, that there was a project on a combine that could take more than 7 days to fix. anyone agree with me? any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

The way I'm reading this the dealer told you they can get right on it. To me, that's not guarantee of when they will be finished. There is some major work to be done, probably some special parts to be ordered, and the mechanics have other equipment to work on, as well. If it's going to take two weeks, it's going to take two weeks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just can't believe it would take that long. and as far as having other machines to work on, they should work on things in the order they come in. if more come in later, and they can't get to them, they should just tell the customer that before they bring them in. Maybe they will get it done sooner, maybe not, but the latter will probably make me never want to do business with the same shop again.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You have an old machine and you are wasting money have the dealer rebuild it with new parts. If you can't fix it yourself move to late model machines where parts are in stock.

You are not very far from Mikes Equipment in Buhler. Get on the phone and you can have all the necessary pieces ready for pickup tomorrow. You will be back running by Thursday at the latest.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Sounds like there will be some oddball sheetmetal, etc... to order for the machine. These aren't commonly stocked parts. I suggest if you want it done faster, help them out or do it yourself. Go to a junkyard and get the parts needed.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you have ever worked in a shop you do the quick jobs first if they need it right away, yea it is too bad it is this way but you have probably have brought in an alternator, something that needed a bearing, u-joint, air conditioning, you get the point, and you don't expect to wait for that until someones engine is overhauled,
I would let them know that if it is usable and you need it today that you want it even if sheet metal is still screwed up or off, however this sounds like quit extensive damage that it may take a welder, fabricator, ect. lined up for repair.
Turn it in for insurance and rent different combine and let them fix it.

By the way offer to go get parts but don't offer help, it really makes mechanics mad if you try to help or just watch, and most of the time it will take more time to finish, (mechanic looking for something that you had or just plain bullshucking).
I used to go work on something else if customer came in to help out, I fiquired if you could not do it yourself no use of being in my way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts