The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are running a 2388 and a 1688 and would like to go to 1 machine. We dont dump on the go as we dump in semi at end of field. Have 30' and 36' headers and only combine dryland crops in Alberta 4500 acres/year. Would a bigger machine 8010 case or similar replace the two if we went to a grain cart and kept machine running more? Its hard to get help and keep 2 older machines running. Was lookin at machinery link any comments on them?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm pretty sure the newer 8010's could satisfy your needs. with a 36' head on an 8010 in say a 50 bushel wheat crop you could b running 5 to 6 mph if its set up right, I've got a ton of experience in a 2388 and I can remember running 3 to 4 mph in a 150 bushel irrigated wheat crop. I was impressed to say the least and it was as clean as seed wheat and I wasn' t leaving hardly two berries in a one square foot area directly behing the cleaning system. However most people who run an 8010 say it is a way different beast than a 2388 a lot more capacity so I can only imagine. I'll bet you could stuff 12 rows of 200 bushel corn with one at 6 mph. an 8010 would probably use as much fuel a day as your two bines or maybe even more if you chip it up I think on the new ones you can go in the touch screen monitor and turn the hp up high all day long if you can keep fuel in it. Anyways, choices choices....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
you might want a 40 ft draper...

ive seen how the 2388 push's a 36 and wow...

Im the biggest person against 1 doing the work of 2.

Just won't happen

But you can do alot with just that one combine....i mean its got the HP and the cleaning capacity

good luck and im sure you would be happy

theres positives and negatives to anything

what size of corn head do you run?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Im the biggest person against 1 doing the work of 2.

Just won't happen

If you can save machinery and labor costs, while still doing the same job as 1 vs 2, please elborate, why.

·
Registered
101 Posts
An 8010 will do what your two combines will do easily. We are actually looking to add a second combine to this falls harvest, but two combines can create a nightmare if your not prepared to handle the aftermath. We put 680 hours on our 8010 last year. One combine works great as long as you don't get a huge early snow storm.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote:Yes, please explain, it's been working for me for years. Oh, and leave out such things as risk and distance between farms/fields, it no longer applies with today's size of machinery.

In other words you want a conditional answer to condone your viewpoint. No other answer will be accepted...?

Perhaps an example of your number crunching to show us what it is that you know would help?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Just remember, when you go to one machine and it breaks down everything stops. With two at least one is running hopefully at all times.

The only one machine that will get close to cutting as much as two is the Lexion 590R.

·
Registered
316 Posts
He is also adding a grain cart. That means he is taking a 2388 and adding half again the machine plus a grain cart, thats another 1/2 machine IF he unloads on the go. The thing is you need to have a cart that will hold 2+ times what the combine will hold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup lookin at a 750 bus. grain cart. I know with 2 theres usually 1 running but its still a problem to keep both goin. We would also run the 1 machine longer days as we could switch off some. Just dryland crops wheat barley peas and canola. Would look at the 8010 or lexion or maybe the big massey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote: I think on the new ones you can go in the touch screen monitor and turn the hp up high all day long if you can keep fuel in it.
i don't belive that you can "turn up" the hp. i just returned from 7010/8010 school and what you may be thinking of is the "power boost" function. what that is, is a function where you tell your combine to adjust it's power curve to be able to boos your hp when you unload on the go. this way you don't need to slow when ynloading.
another function is to tell your combine to not reserve hp for unload on the go which may let you combine faster but you need to slow your ground speed to unload on the go.
as for 2 to 1... that 8010 with a cart means your other operator runs the cart and you become more productive!! go with 1 big one!!!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lets say your like us...

2 2388's...With 36ft draper heads.. and u trade those in for an 8010 with a 36ft draper head.

Which would get done first?

Also mind you we have cut really good beans going 5mph or 5.5 ect...

How's one big combine going to get done faster?

Then same thing with corn... 2 12 row corn heads....grain carts vs 1 12 row corn head

I mean yeah its got more capacity and all this horsepower but still not sure how its going to do the work of 2.

Also the other guys right...with one machine..you break down

guess when its going to happen (late friday night or saturday)

Then you can't shell or cut beans sunday and you lose a day.

Also financially i know our local dealer won't roll these 8010's cause it just doesn't pencil out (maybe a seperate subject)

But it would be interesting to see how it would all pencil out

Have a good day guys...also no reason to get pissed..

Chill out and relax

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was just curious as to your reasoning to the 2 to 1 issue. Nothing wrong with your views at all. In fact thats where I want to be myself much like your set up. In my case, we run 3 machines (9650sts, 2188 and 1680 all with 30ft flex) where I'd like to downside to 2 while at the same time go 6 ft bigger heads. We also run a cart too. Our biggest problem is having enough guys to run everything. Going down to 2 instead of 3 would enable us to run efficiently. So we're currently looking into finding the best route to downside to 2 while still being able to do the job of 3 machines without having to go up to 8010's which I feel is not econimically feasible for our farm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can you gain other efficiencies in your harvest? Are there any other bottlenecks that slow the harvesting? Can you squeeze an extra hour out of every day? Would switching to one combine help accomplish this?

There are two larger operations that I know of. Both run newer equipment and the same color of combine. Similar acres. Operation #1 runs one combine, usually one grain cart, but sometimes two and 2-3 trucks. Operation #2 runs 2 and sometimes 3 combines, two carts, and several trucks. Operation #1 usually finishes harvest before #2. Obviously #1 has found a lot of operational efficiencies that have escaped #2. Also, #1 simply starts earlier in the day and works later at night. They also do a better job of planning their cropping program so that they can start harvest earlier. This year they are adding a lot of storage and a grain leg, but dryer capacity is still a bottleneck early in the season.

I don't buy the if one is broke down, the other is still running argument, as your capacity will be cut in half. Over the course of the season, the downtime of two combines will probably be twice that of one combine, so there is probably little difference in how much gets harvested.

To summarize, I am in the camp that believes that operating one bigger combine more efficiently is better than running two smaller ones less efficiently. There are some operations, though, that need to run two or more combines at full efficiency and can do that. One operation I know of runs 3 2377's over 10,000 acres of corn and beans in 30 days. Lots of hill ground and terraces and high yields.

It is my belief, though that most operations find it difficult to run multiple combines at the same efficiency as one.

Brandon

·
Registered
144 Posts
I see that you were not currently running a cart, so I think that would definitely help, especially in high yield crops. Given that scenario, you may be able to go to one machine. Generally, a cart operator does not need to be as skilled as a combine operator.

Brandon

·
Registered
341 Posts
i believe that this will work for you cujo03. the bigest key here is getting a graincart, thus allowing the combine to be cutting crop as much as possible and not driving to the truck and setting there dumping. Yes an 8010 might not cut quite as much but keeping the machine in the crop will more than make up for this.

i also agree with brandon on the break down arguement. if one machine is broke down xx% of the time it is likely they all will be at some point during season.

we are going to be harvesting 4200 acres of corn(2900ac.) and soybeans(1300ac.) with a 7010, 36'flex draper, and a 12row CH. and as far as rolling the combine the dealer is going to be doing it for the same cost per acre as the 2388.

·
Registered
380 Posts
somebody on here in another thread said in comparision to the deere which has a time limiter on the power curve of like 3-5 min and they went on to say you could run the case with the unload power on all day long with no limit on time. or at least that is what I read... Basically no comparision.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts