The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a subframe to bolt a 2 post hoist onto so that is moveable around or out of the shop? How did it work out?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I've wondered about embedding some female bolt thread anchors in the floor so one could wheel out the posts, bolt them down, and then remove when not in use.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I had seen a two post setup in someones shop a few months ago that appeared to be set up for that very purpose, to I assume lift and carry it to a different spot within a shop or to remove it from the shop and haul it to some other location. Having said that due to circumstances around it being a for sale property ( which is typical real estate rules of operation ) there was no person to talk to, to inquire as to how it was engineered, if proper stress engineering went into it etc but I suspect it was more then likely built well due to who actually owned the property as I found out after. I have no photos of it unfortunately but the theme was or so it appeared is that they had very thick steel plating across to join the two posts that way and then steel plating as feet extending fore and aft to support the offset weight of a vehicle being lifted so that all steel used as a base had a low profile and yet was strong. I could not tell if they had threaded the plates that the two post hoist feet stood on and then put bolts down through into the plates as that was only a guess on my part. I've never seen anything like that setup before and certainly looked interesting but the steel plates were there and presented an object vs a clear floor everywhere and standing under a vehicle would have that width of steel to stand on in the center of the lift or dealing with a catch pan or any object one would want to roll under the vehicle. The top of the posts did have a cross bar though, that is common to most two post hoists isn't it ? , that presented a height restriction to how high one could lift a vehicle before it would smash in the roof.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've wondered about embedding some female bolt thread anchors in the floor so one could wheel out the posts, bolt them down, and then remove when not in use.
I suppose the drawback to that is you're basically taking the hoist apart each time to move it and you can only use it in the one location. I was hoping to have a setup where I could move it around and still use it. An idea I have is to build a box platform out of tubing. A couple long pces 20 ft maybe on the perimeter where hoist posts would mount , a couple lighter longitudinal tubes to match axle width where one would drive up on the platform for support and a bunch of cross braces to box it in. Could cover it with checker plate or 3/4 plywood. Could weld in a couple pipes at on end of platform to fit in a couple axle stubs with wheels. At the other end weld in a receiver tube to mount a hitch. would make moving easy. With the platform idea a person would have a level surface to work on instead of stumbling over framing or not being able to roll around a lift or drain tank.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torriem I found this video showing a hoist like you described. The portable versions I've found seem to all be the smaller auto versions in the 5-6k lb range. Also a few makes Bendpak that are totally portable with no floor anchors but also in small sizes. The idea of using these with no way of having the posts anchored to the floor or some solid base scares the crap out of me

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
As with most things there are some good and less so for each need . That looks like a great idea for a large shop where it could be used in multiple location . For me with limited space being able to move it would be to get it out of the way and free up the space .

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you had a high enough ceiling you could lift it straight up when your not using it if you had some way of bolting and unbolting it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
We're saving up our money to buy a set of column lifts. The fancy ones can be used in pairs to lift a car or light truck with attachable body arms.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about a 4 post hoist that you can move. When you what to move it you put the 4 caster arms on the hoist and let the hoist down, as the hoist lowers the posts lift off the floor so you can move the hoist.

This is a picture of my 12,000 lb hoist.

View attachment 164439
Thanks for the pic skfarmboy. What make is that hoist. I've heard of the portable 4 post models but couldn't find any good pics or info online. How do find the 4 post to work on vehicles? I've never worked using a hoist so have no experience. Have read numerous comments where people say working on wheel / suspension stuff is more awkward even with a cross jack. Also with the full length rails some jobs are more difficult or impossible to do. I guess pros and cons to both 2 or 4 post units.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
What would a 10K lift be worth?
The one's I'm referring to can lift heavy trucks. More like 64k lbs. I think the cost I've seen for a new four column system is north of $40k. Chinese company keeps trying to sell us what looks like a decent system for less than half that cost, but the issues with arranging shipping from the port to my farm don't make that too appealing to me.

I know some systems can lift cars with body arms... not sure how safe that would be, though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for the pic skfarmboy. What make is that hoist. I've heard of the portable 4 post models but couldn't find any good pics or info online. How do find the 4 post to work on vehicles? I've never worked using a hoist so have no experience. Have read numerous comments where people say working on wheel / suspension stuff is more awkward even with a cross jack. Also with the full length rails some jobs are more difficult or impossible to do. I guess pros and cons to both 2 or 4 post units.
My hoist is made by Liftking.

I wanted something that could be easily moved anywhere in the shop to get it out of the way of other projects, so that dictated a 4 post hoist. It also lifts high enough that it can be fully raised and a vehicle parked under it.
The other consideration for me was that a with 4 post hoist you just drive the vehicle on, no messing with arms, height extensions and getting the vehicle positioned so that it is balanced on the lift arms ( which usually means the drivers door hits the lift post when you open it).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking about building something like this but using an old trailer deck as a skid.

That's an interesting setup. That's kind of the system I thought of building except the hitch and tires would be removable by simply using a pipe or receiver tube to make it easily removable. This way would be less clutter when using it. Also I thought of having a larger platform so that when working under the vehicle one isn't always stepping on / off the platform edge. Gutting an old trailer deck of the right size could make a base but would have to do some mods to it to beef up the sides where the posts mount , would probably want to scrap the plank deck and use checker plate or plywood if braced up enough and would have to remove base frame to reduce the height.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts