The Combine Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
12.6 ozatrazine. 3oz mesiotrione. 26oz roundup. Try to do first ten days June. Works like a charm. Any corn herbicide does better with atrazine. Much much better

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mesiotrione is 100 a gallon. Atrazine is 15$ a gallon. It’s dang near free. Whatever you do don’t keep spraying roundup on it 3 times a year. That kochia will only get worse.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Mesiotrione is 100 a gallon. Atrazine is 15$ a gallon. It’s dang near free. Whatever you do don’t keep spraying roundup on it 3 times a year. That kochia will only get worse.
I'll echo that roundup statement, its all but ineffective down here due to what you just pointed out, spray round up.... spray it again.... bump the rate and spray again. Its only used for burn down now and as a low rate tank mix if you have some grass escapes. Learn from our mistakes.

Are you guys limited in atrazine application too? Here we're only allowed 2#/acre/year. Its highly effective and cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,975 Posts
Whatever you do don’t keep spraying roundup on it 3 times a year. That kochia will only get worse.
Yeah I only did that once and when I saw we have resistant kochia around I added the armezon and bumped the rate on the kochia patches. Looks like I need some different actives, I will look into your mixture.

In Canada we don't have the variety of generics that you do in the States, things can get a bit spendy. Weeds gotta die though.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
So not a guy with much knowledge in corn. Interested reading guys. I’m up in the Alberta peace Country. We have a mom and pop dealership called
Peace Country Equipment.
Been selling SeedMaster for 11 years. Elmer’s for 3 and just added Lemken. Farmed large acres for 20 years. Got out in 2015 and decided to grow the dealership.

No corn really this north but some guys are starting to look at it for silage. The row spacing debate on all crops is never ending. Lots to consider.

SeedMaster Mfg builds a single rank no till drill now with all on-board metering. Same on-board system and opener they’ve used forever. Very accurate row to row metering. This new machine is on 15” centres. Guys are liking the idea that a corn roller could be built to feed every other opener and do corn on 30”. Just skip every other Venturi on corn meter design. One machine for all crops. No concerns in canola and beans but some guys concerned on cereals. I’ve had 11 years experience in cereals on 14” and it’s performed excellent. Not seeing a yield drag worth mentioning and it has lots of upside compared to narrow spacing in cereals. I respect guys feelings on wide spacing in cereals though. Different strokes for different folks. The Peace Country is mainly on 12” across most farms with great results. I remember 15 years ago when guys started going to 12”...people thought guys were crazy. Lol. I will post pics of the SeedMaster Ultra SR. Maybe a video link also to my YouTube channel. Let me know what you guys think as a corn unit. Could be a good fit for corn/beans/canola...and maybe cereals if a guy is comfortable with it. Key on wide spacing in cereals is you gotta pump the seeding rate. Always love talking Ag and learning!
https://youtu.be/onsOX9cU63k

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Are they going to use a paired row opener.
They’ve discussed building a knock on paired row boot. Would be in their best interest as customers would be more inclined if they could know they could narrow up spacing if they want.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
What are those piked wheels in the back? and that 3’ roller in the front?
The spiked wheels are there to clear the straw. Only way to have a no till unit on a single rank and still go through straw is to have something to clear the straw. Works amazingly. Did fall demo’s in heavy matted pea stubble behind combines. Perfect field finish. Impressive. Simple and works. They’re ground driven. The 60ft machine has 5 separate independent sections of them.

Many people ask why the drum on the wing. It’s a smart design actually. When you turn really sharp with drills the outer tire rips up seed furrows. A castor wheel could solve it but then there’s more cost and hinders how it folds tight.

The drum is simple and works. When you turn it slides over the top of the rows and doesn’t rip it all up. Performs exceptional in mud. It does have a scraper on it so no it won’t build up or sink like a tire. I’ll
Post a vid of it. Along with close up vids of trash clearing wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,975 Posts
Some good innovation on that unit for sure! You know my thoughts on wide rows for cereals but in regards to your corn question it is critical to get good singulation. Without specific experience I would suggest singulation would be less critical in narrow rows than say on 30". I would be aiming to market that as a 15" corn unit that can apply some(probably not all) fertility in same pass. Just depends on the singulation. But if it works it could be a very good corn/beans/canola unit.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Some good innovation on that unit for sure! You know my thoughts on wide rows for cereals but in regards to your corn question it is critical to get good singulation. Without specific experience I would suggest singulation would be less critical in narrow rows than say on 30". I would be aiming to market that as a 15" corn unit that can apply some(probably not all) fertility in same pass. Just depends on the singulation. But if it works it could be a very good corn/beans/canola unit.
Ya I hear you 100%. I’m
Not a big fan of paired row openers but I think it would serve them well to offer it to narrow things up in cereals. Some guys are surely asking for it. If guys want it give it to them. The current UPII offers pretty close to singulation on small seed crops. I know they’ve worked on a meter for corn that performs really well. Have to see where they’re at but they have said if a guys wants one they’ll build it. I have a guy up in the Peace who says it would work good for silage corn for him and he’s be able to seed basic crops too. He also mentioned seeding twice in a field. Do interow and use it for strip feeding his cattle.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have an SR setup in my shop for the winter. Fun to hang with customers and let them operate it and try things out. Metering is all electric which I like a lot. It’s performed perfect for two seasons. I was leery but proven wrong. All a guy needs is a 200 amp alternator. Lots of wiggle room with that. 16 motors with a max draw of 9 amps per which a guy would never hit. Never gonna have all meters at max output.
Deep cycle battery with charger and we are winter shop seeding. Lol! Guys like that they can see that canola meter up close. This is at 2.5lbs/acre. Can run it right down to 1lb and it still meters even. Pretty slick. On average my guys seed at 3lbs per acre in canola. Some guys source very small seed and are at 2lbs. Easy to attain 7-8 plants with this meter at low rates. Lower mortality rates and pretty evenly spaced distribution within the row. 3% row to row variability from the PAMI report.

PS....don’t mind my brown bag canola....with some chaff in it still. Lol.

https://youtu.be/q09oGhpDsbo

41 - 53 of 53 Posts