The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much more capacity is there with the 9750? Thinking about adding either an sts or another walker rig to the operation.

jd

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Depends on the crop, in barley 80% in canola 30% in wheat 50% this is from my own experience. You won't do the work of 2 combines but you will usually do 1.5.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Depends on your conditions, Ive seen the biggest STS machines with 40 ft heads do no more than a 9600 with a 30 ft head in rough irregated ground and heavy yield. I think the only difference youll notice is in heavy corn, but it would have to be heavy enough that it would normally pull down the engine of the walker machines, then STS horsepower would help out. My 9650 walker has plenty of power though.
Have a friend who cuts dryland, fair yeilds, 9770 STS and 9650 Walker both with 36 drapers and they run side by side. More important the walker was half the price with the same hours.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I feel stupid for trading the cts off on a 9770 sts,because if a 9610 can run side by side with a 9770 a cts would walk away from it.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
In small grains I have seen a 9860 walk all over a 9610. And the 9860 is almost the same combine as a 9770 (10 more hp) I wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
In milo, a bullet rotor 9660 is only 80% the combine a 9650W is. Even less if it hasn't frosted yet. I suspect the same is true in weedy wheat and early beans with ropy green stems.

In good corn the sts is supposed to have the advantage.

It all depends on the crop and the conditions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A freind had 2 9600 and traded one off on a cts,and he said a 9600 would keep up to cts if you don't mind the grain loss.Then he traded the other 9600 off on a cts2, and then traded the cts off on a 9650sts and then a9660sts and say it has at least 30% more capacity.Two other guys said the same thing, crops wheat,barley,oats,peas,canola.Yes they know how to set a combine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have to remember that the CTS uses the 9500 frame thus you have the narrower seperator, smaller cleaning area, etc. If deere had a CTS with the 9600 width that would be the way to go, Or did they? CTS 2? I dont recall

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cts and cts2 are more or less same,like a 9600 and 9610 more horsepower ,digital concave readout about the same changes 00 to 10. Cts has more capacity than 9600 except for canola.Wheat,barley,oats,canary seed and flax you must be careful.

·
Registered
530 Posts
CTS cannot have more capacity than a 9600, the CTS seperator is 11" narrower than 9600 with less horsepower. Does a 7720 have more capacity than an 8820????

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is how it works, not the numbers that matter. In good dry corn, below 20% a STS and Walker will both do a good job, unless it is food grade(pinch on walker concave that can't be avoid leads to cracks). Soybeans is where the STS shines and runs away. That accelarator roll is the key to the STS. It not only helps with transtion speed of the beans it also puts it into a nice mat that feeds good and elimates the romping. So what do you grow? We still run a walker because our beans acres are way down and we can still get them done in a week. We can't keep all the corn away from the 9600.
Also another key point is the repair cost. We can keep our 9600 running for peanuts. In season repair are usually due to the age of the machine and metal fatigue. We have a good welder and plenty of duct tape. That and our whopper topper is to big and we lose a tire once a year lately. Every tire has a tube in it now.

The only way we will buy a STS is if we go back to a 50/50 rotation, the axle finally breaks, or the engine blows up. We got over 4000 / 3000 hours on the engine and sep.

The CTS was a great machine for super tough conditions i.e. rice and the STS won't touch it there in overall wear and quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts