The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st season with this combine. Rad is plugging very easily, having to blow it out 1 or 2 times a day, sometimes 3. Worse when doing barley or canola. Is this normal?

Combine has the silver rotating screen on it (if that makes any difference). Rad inspection door seal in good shape, screen doesn't have little openings/ cuts in it. Any help or suggestions.

Besides that combine has unreal capacity!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
check your small rubber seal that runs around the outside(looks like half of a bicycle innertube). I had one of those go bad and had the same problem

·
Registered
65 Posts
no there is a little rubber seal that the screen rubs on. It is a big circle. It attaches to the door, I think with a big hose clamp, and the other side rubs on the screen as it rotates

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sound odd but I put a chain on the back off the combine for " ground " can t tell if it works but cheap to try. also sillyconed every seem on airbox.

Snorton.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well adjusted the rotating screen brushes & rubber seal that rubs against the screen today. It helped with the rad plugging less. Just blew it out at the start of the day, and that's it!

Also could never run the engine load to 80-90%, could only push it to 60-70% then engine temp. would overheat easily (even with a fresh cleaned rad). Well when the dealer brought the machine out, the engine oil was way above the full mark on the dip stick (never thought much about it because that's the way it's suppose to be. Dealer knows best). Lowered the level to the FULL mark. Now can run at 80-90% and the coolant temp. stays at 185-192 F.

Never would of thought too much oil would make that much of a difference on cooling!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
Just want to throw something out here, do Case International and
New Holland run the same Air intake/ rad screen setup?
I rented a CR 9070 in 07, material on rad zero, air filter almost clean after 121 threshing hours. Far and away the best setup I've ever seen or been around.
If the 8010 shares this maybe it has more to do with what CIH does with straw discharge.
The dust is distributed out the sides right in the air intake area.
A CR has a normal chopper blowing it back and to the sides.
I ask this as I have run beside an 8010 for the last couple of days and observed this.

Don

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
One thing that i would question is what are you using to blow out the rad ? If you are using a 1/4" hose and a hand blow gun you probably aren't getting 1/2 of the dust out of the rad . Years ago i had bought a 75cfm gas drive air compressor and we have been blowing off the combines every morning with it and have never had any heating problems since . We use 1/2" air line with high flow airline couplers and several different blow guns ( my favorite is the 8 foot air lance with a 15deg bend at the tip) to blowthe combine and chains off , it's long enough to get close to the chains but not get yourself in the dust . The other one that i had made is a 3foot long 1/2"steel hydraulic pipe with a very short 90deg bend at the end ( maybe 1" ) that i use between the rads on our 2388's . We blow the rads out with the engine running which really helps with the dust , the engine fan really sucks it up and bloes it out the downwind side of the combine . We will back blow the intercooler, A/C and oil rads but just straight blow through the engine rad it's amazing how big a chunk will go through that rad with enough air pressure . That's my rant ...........
Marshall

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don this year I run 04 8010 beside 07 9070 and the set-up is quit diff. case has several rad's compare to nh ,this will restrict airflow/speed result clogging up. Chopper side discharge is no benefit either.The engine platform on the older model's keep more chaff/staw around airbox.
Got 110 hrs on so far and indeed rad on nh stay's clean. More air capacity would help for cleaning but for the nh you don't need it just blow out airfilter and your good to go for a long day.

Snorton

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We use a 3/8" hose and 4' long by 3/8" blow gun w/ a 45 degree bend at the end. We either use our tandem grain truck's air supply (has a HUGE air tank on it) or a genset powering a 1.5hp/ 20 gal. air compressor as our air supply.

We blow out the rad at the beginning of the day and it's good for the rest of the day. We can sometimes go a day and a half without blowing the rad, but depends on how dusty it is & what we're combining.

Ever since we dropped the extra gallon of engine oil out of the oil pan it's been good for overheating. Can run 80-90% all day (as long as we cleaned the rad @ the start of the day!)

Our neighbour has a '06 8010 that got the new update on the rad/ rotating screen this winter ($18,000 work order). He said they haven't blown the rad or air filter in over 2000 acres harvested this year. Coolant temp never goes above 186 F.

But still little disappointed w/ the 8010's rad on how it gets dirty so easy. Our 2188 can go 2-5 days without cleaning the rad.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
teflon strip on rotary screen needs to be good as well. their is smaller and larger sections for the older screens on 8010's and the 2388's of same vintage. newer ones have single layer radiator. works better FT

·
Registered
224 Posts
we have owned several 8010's and had rad and air filter problems with each one, I don't know if the engineers who designed this spreader and air screen combo have ever had to run it in the field or not!!! just what Don said about the chaff and dust being blown up into the air screen, it just whirls around up there. Somedays we need a shovel to clean off the platform it's just ridiculus!!! We also have a deere sts and can go all day with no problems, the chopper actually blows the debris back away from the combine. The fact that we have to swap out air filters 2x a day or stop to blow out rads is completely unacceptable on a $300,000 + machine. I am considering getting a mav chopper on our next one because the CNH guys can't get it right, they have had 6 years to fix this and still the same. Why not put a chopper on it like the NH? It is extremely frustrating to have these stupid problems all the time, the combine is awesome but they need to refine these things!!!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think Case engineers would be hard to change there design b/c one of axial flows trademark is having an internal chopper, as compared to JD or NH. But if that would help w/ the rad plugging problem, would Case owners be willing for the change?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had an 03 2388 never touched the rads for 3 yrs. It has the same type of discharge chopper as the 8010. Yes the spreaders are a little different but I would say pretty comparable. I got an 06 8010 in 07 and had to blow the rad out three times a day. Talked to one of the CIH vice-presidents after 07 and he gave me the new style screen and door that the 08 had on them. Well ran that in 08 and still had to blow the rad out three times a day. Crawled up and looked at the 08 8010 rad system. They seem to have less rads and the main engine rad has a wider honeycomb that allows the material to get sucked through instead of getting hung up on the rad. I am just curious if anybody has trouble with their 07 or newer 8010. I am pretty sure the 07 was the year they started with the wider honeycomb.

·
Registered
102 Posts
amisdonkey- I see that your neighbor got a new rad along with the door screen. I am willing to bet that the rad is wider honeycomb. I wish the VP would have given me the rad also. looks like I will be checking into a new rad.

·
Registered
224 Posts
we have an 08 8010 and yes the rad is no longer a problem we have not had to blow it out at all(although we do every morning anyway) The problem now lies in the air filter plugging, in canola every 2hrs wheat and other cereals it depends on the day. We are duct taping the door to eliminate that seal and trying to find out where the problem lies. I think it is getting sucked right through the screen. Our tech told us that the doors on these newer ones have been warping because they only have 1 latch in the middle of the door and so it warps the door. I mean that is totally unbelievable imo that is poor testing and design, put a latch on the top and bottom and no problem! We are going to try the rotary screen brushes and see if that helps but otherwise I'm out of ideas and I'm sure not changing air filters avery 2 hrs for the rest of harvest.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Something else to check out would be : is the precleaner for the air filter plugged ? when we got our 2388"s we were told to check the precleaner and shure enough they had lots of crap in them . reverse blew them out and took off the plastic housing ( duct ) that goes to the rad side and put new foam on the metal to plastic seal area and don't have any more problems . Also use a large air comp for blowing things out works great .
Marshall

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
To add to this last post another thing that happened was both the exaust pipe flanges were broken off at the turbo . Upon fizing the pipes i noticed that there were two flanges for precleaner hose hookups and only one being used . Then after looking down the pipe i saw how they had welded a ring in the pipe to restrict the exaust flow to cause a venturi effect to suck larger dust from the precleaner and thought that was bullshit so cut that out and welded in a nice bent piece of 1" tubing pointing towards the outlet . Welded the other hole shut . Marshall

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
We have run an 04 8010 for 4 years and have to clean the rad and air filter about every 100 hours. We also have an 07 8010 that we got this year. It has a rad update on it and in 200 hour I blew the air filter once and the rad is still quite clean. The best piece of equipment we have is a 100 cfm gas powered compressor we got at an auction sale for 300 dollars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts