The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Construction equipment Commercial vehicle

I bought this Lexion last week. I have a few question, because I'm new to farming. The combine is a 05 with 1450 separator hours 2wd. I gave 50k.
Questions.
1. Did i get ripped off?
2.What kind and size heads are a good fit?
3.Inspection show rotary bearing may need to be changed, dealer said $2200 installed, is that a good price?
4.Know any good combine haulers. Combine in Ghent ,MN.
5. What is a good spare parts list. No dealers around me.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Ziegler seems to be very good IMO. I think 50k is a great price for the capacity. I think you can throw another 25k+ at it if it really needs it and be ok, and have a more reliable, capable machine.

hhsparts.com is a good aftermarket site for a few things that you might want.

I would change oil in the gearboxes. Use what Ziegler would recommend or get a very good synthetic like Amsoil. A few belts such as the APS and impeller belt would be good to have. Metric bolts/nuts and wrenches will be needed.

Claas has good heads. I don't know what you are really wanting. The newer 1050 and larger 1200 maxflex seem very good but maybe more than you want to spend. The deere 630/635 heads are good and popular and getting very cheap. Claas has good corn heads also.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,975 Posts
Gee, sounds like the sheriff will be looking for that serial number:D
Good buy!

40' Macdon is the front you want for that machine, (flexxy if your budget allows otherwise a rigid works very well). Max flows look pretty hanging of the feeder house but are just a heap of @&!!"#*. Well they are over here in OZ at least.

I will agree with above statement about JD corn fronts are good. I have only dealt with one Claas/Cat front but I was very impressed with its ability.

Spares........................ Well in brief, like above, APS belt, drum belt, sieve drive belt, cleaning fan belt vari, stage 1&2, maybe the big long rotor drive belt, All engine belts( fan/alt), and a couple of random idler pulleys. Cleaning fan one and sieve drive one. A good industrial supplies shop will have most bearings for it and quite a few a,b section belts. Get some joiner and half links for your feeder chains and grain elevator chains. Get some spare feeder slats incase your picking stones. Get yourself a parts book. And a very good grease gun!:eek:

Fleet guard do filters for it if Cat are to expensive.

Its probably got the correct APS grates already but you want to check on that.

Don't overflow the grain bin as grain on the main drive belts (engine bay) cause some issues rather quickly.

Rambling on here, happy days. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Check engine fan hub and 3 little idler pulleys on the serpentine belt. Blow out alternator often- daily , or at least clean off the screen. When changing fuel filters, change primary first. Then prime the air out of the system with the hand primer before starting the engine. Once the engine is running smooth for 5 minutes, then change the 762 final filter and prime until air is out. I do not like filling this filter especially, with fuel before installing them because that fuel goes right into the injectors. I thought I knew how to change a fuel filter, but I had a few things to learn about these! Also there is a check valve in the final filter housing under a big plug, maybe about 24 mm, that can get a piece of something in it and you will be there for days trying to prime it. The plug with the check valve under it is near the engine block, the same size plug on the outer top of the filter housing is the bleed plug. Maybe get a mechanic to show you sometime when it is handy. Good luck. And a great buy on a great combine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.