The Combine Forum banner

2006 9660

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  agb 
#1 ·
My dad and I are seriously contemplating a used 9660. It has 950 sep hrs on it. Appears to be a beautiful machine. I have tried hard to educate myself on these machines (all new to me, I have an 860 Massey now). What should I look for on this combine? I have read about reverser problems on John Deere machine. Hell, I don't even know what a reverser is! Are there any serious issues with 9660's? Any problems with that year? Anything anybody wants to throw at me would be appreciated.

#3 ·
I have one and have had good luck with it. (*knocks on wood) JD ironed out a few of the minor problems the 50's had with this series. The reverser just reverses the feederhouse should you plug it, I haven't had any issues with it but admittingly it has only been plugged once since I had it. Keep the maintenance up to it and you will be happy.

EDIT after re-reading your post i think you are talking about a conventional. I have an STS but what I wrote above will hold true anyway. Good luck.

#4 ·
Nope, I'm talking about an STS. I already have an outdated machine. I don't want to buy another one. Thanks for the reply. Just trying to find out about the possible bugs. Stones scare me a little with the rotors, but other guys seem to keep going (we don't have a ton of stones but enough).

#6 ·
agb, if you are handy with a welder and you have an 8 row head for the 860 you could convert the head to the 9660 (look for harvs farm supply online formerly bisch head adapters they have kits for such things) seems crude but I did it for 4 years (450 acres per year) with a 1183 and JD 9610. I would think once you ran the 9660 you would find a way to make a MF head work on that beauty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.