The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few of the pictures from this years harvest. They were all taken in SD.

Stay posted to our website for the latest news and pictures. We will be holding off posting all the pictures until the end of the season but we will be adding some as the year progresses.

For larger versions of these pictures go to our homepage and click on the thumbnails.

www.johnsonharvesting.com

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for the amazing pics!

I sure do love those Custom Harvesting pics everyone posts.

+1 for the pics.

Is that new 2388s yous are running this year or have yous just added beacons to them all?

Is that a new Case tractor this year?

- Gordon

·
Registered
104 Posts
The air screens look normal to me. The Beacons are new and standard eq. on all new machines. (From what I was told) They had the stx last year to but it was in ND at the time. Would be a nice upgrade from the MX though. I talked to Lance Johnson last year about it and He said they dont run STX's becuaes they are that much heavier then the 9350. Makes sense. Just wondering what farm lets them use it or what that once a year they get a demo tractor or something. They got to demo a AFX as well in 04 when Lance, (board moderator) was on the crew. Header only looked to be a 30ft but non the less..was a nice machine. Although they all felt the 2388s could stay right with the AFX. who knows. Thanks for posting the pics Lance, or Brent..Hope you guys a better end of the wheat run then you have had. Say Hi to to folks for me if you see them. Mom works at the CO-OP now. (JUDY)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Lance, excellent pics. The lineup looks great.

younggun, good eye. I see what you mean since it looks like the air screen is a different color. However, keep in mind that even if it is some experimental thing, don't expect to find out what it is. Those non-disclosure agreements are there for a reason. It can't be too much of a change since it is still in the same spot.

dustyk, I've heard from several people that they just don't like the look and feel (interior controls) of the STXs compared to the 91xx series. It probably handles that cart a little better than the MX did though. As for that 8010 we had in 2004, that was actually an older test maching from case that MacDon was using to test headers with. It started with that 30' you saw in some pictures, and it pushed at least 2 other headers yet that season. I later found out that the new 8010s have a lot more in them than that machine did. It sure didn't look good to us at the time, but the AFX series is starting to get a really good reputation from the few people I know running them. (With all the 2006 updates of course)

-Lance

·
Registered
349 Posts
Other then color the screen appears to be a totally different design. It has a cone shaped center and the brush style screen cleaner is not there. I know on our 2388 chaff has a tendency to suck itself onto it during operation, possibly this new screen tries to get rid of that problem.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:Good neat clear shots, thank you.

Did Johnstons cut wheat for Diamond Ring farms this year?

http://www.jimstrain.com/Diamond Ring/diamand_ring.htm

Take a peek at the Cat Challengers in the shed.

1st of all thanks to Johnson Harvesting for the great pics.I'm looking forward to seeing my neighbor kid's harvesting pics(a green fleet)They've moved the machines to Minot last weekend.
Cessnaguy thanks for the link to the"D-Ring Ranch" as we called it when we cut there 20 years ago.By the looks of the headquarters pic it's really changed.The only buildings there back then were the house,the cattlebarn just south of the house converted to a shop and the 3 Miracle-Span buildings.None of the bins or the machine shed were there.There were 3 Steigers for the tillage and planting and they would bring in the Big Buds from their Montana operation.Across the road and up a hill was a custom cutters trailer park where we stayed.There were several cutting outfits working there with all colors of combines.There was even a rubber tracked Claas Dominator combine there.This operation was 20000 acres and there was also a 30000 acre operation closer to Pierre and a 200000 acre operation in Montana all owned by a large insurance co. and a wealthy car dealer from Pittsburg Pa.Interesting place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lance- Understand about the AFX. Would love to see one in person. The STX. well Im glad they got it. WHen I was home in 03 I ran a quad on the grain cart. It was a SWEET ride. the power shift was so smooth and right in the throtle handel. Not sure. I would be hard pressed to get into the 9250 or even a combine as much as I like running one to sit in that all day. Although..I did have the red leather seat and it was a nice seat:). I havent talked to the guys at all this year. I heard that Tyler is a manager now. Anyway. TO bad we dont see one of the proto 2588s out there. Who knows..maybe they have had one and cant say..although..why cant they say if the local farmers get to see it:)

Take care.

Dusty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Regarding the black airscreen which is being discussed it looks just like the airscreen which CIH put on our 2388 last year.

Backround information: We have a 12 row Drago Chopping corn head. Ever since we got the head, we have had intermittent problems with the standard air screen plugging with a black, sticky syrup like substance. This syrup would plug the fine mesh screens and cause the engine to overheat. It was even restricting airflow so much that the mesh screens were tearing away from the housing because the cooling system was starving for air. I think we went through 5 airscreens the first year and we had pretty much everyone but the President of CIH out to look at the thing. To finish the year, we finally put on one of the old style, black all metal air screens which were standard on the combines a few years ago. Apparently, the holes on these screens were big enough that they would not plug as easily.

Fast forward to 2005 and CIH sent our dealer a new style of airscreen to put on our combine. This screen looked very similar to the screen shown in the Johnson Harvesting picture. The screen was black, all metal and had much larger holes than the fine mesh the standard air screens have. Also the holes were only on the the narrow section of the screen. There were no holes on the side of the screen. The side of the screen was solid metal which tapered down to the hub where the screen itself attaches to the combine. The wiper assembly was completely removed from the combine and replaced with a hydraulic fan which was used to suck the loose material away from the screen. The fan looked just like the vaccum fans on the 1200 planters, just much smaller.

CIH told us that they were putting this style of airsreen on about 15 combines around the country to see if it would solve this problem.

Anybody can look at this airscreen as the combine is sitting on the dealers lot at Titan Machinery's Graceville, MN location.

You can try this link to see a picture: http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/266740-3.jpg

Did the new screen work better??? It's hard to say actually. We only had plugging problems about 3 times in 2005. I think we have decided that the plugging problems are more related to specific atmospheric conditions and the greenness of the stalks. In 2004 when were having all of the problems, the stalks were very green, (especially early in harvest) and we also experienced alot of drizzly, foggy, high humidity days during harvest. In 2005, the stalks were much drier and the weather was also much drier. Last year, the only times we would see buildup would be early in the morning or late at night as the humidity of the air would be higher. The black syrup is coming from the cornstalks as they are shredded by the chopping head. Thats why the problem was more evident on greener stalks. A sugary mist would come from the head and make its way to the airscreen. On warm days with dry air, it didn't seem to be a problem because the mist would dry before it got to the airscreen.

I noticed on the Johnson Harvesting website that they do have one Gerringhoff corn head. It is very possible that they were have the same issues as we were and CIH had them try one of these screens also.

·
Registered
722 Posts
[quote
http://www.jimstrain.com/Diamond Ring/diamand_ring.htm

Cessnaguy thanks for the link to the"D-Ring Ranch" as we called it when we cut there 20 years ago.By the looks of the headquarters pic it's really changed.The only buildings there back then were the house,the cattlebarn just south of the house converted to a shop and the 3 Miracle-Span buildings.None of the bins or the machine shed were there.There were 3 Steigers for the tillage and planting and they would bring in the Big Buds from their Montana operation.Across the road and up a hill was a custom cutters trailer park where we stayed.There were several cutting outfits working there with all colors of combines.There was even a rubber tracked Claas Dominator combine there.This operation was 20000 acres and there was also a 30000 acre operation closer to Pierre and a 200000 acre operation in Montana all owned by a large insurance co. and a wealthy car dealer from Pittsburg Pa.Interesting place.
[/quote]

You are welcome, cliffcutter.
I'd like to go sometime to SD around Pierre to see those
big wheat spreads. Do you know if that Montana outfit is in the Golden Triangle area?
Thanks man.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure of this header as I have never seen one before and thought it was interesting...but could something like this cause all the mess VVV was talking about earlier. Lance did you stay with them for sunflower harvest? This picture is under the sunflower album so I assume it is a sunflower head..very unique anyway. Would like more info in them too as I would like to build a model for my 2388 on the shelf.

http://johnsonharvesting.com/Mike Raab 05 147.jpg

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Dustyk: I never did sunflowers, nor have I ever seen that header in person. It is pretty interesting though, isn't it. It is really a 1010 (or maybe a 1020) without the standard reel. It has this different reel, different snoots on the ends, and some white pans down there by the sickle. Maybe Lance will chime in and tell us how well that worked for them and who makes the kit.

-Lance

·
Registered
17 Posts
dustyk, that is a "Seadeater" sunflower attachment for 1010. The pans (at slight upward angle in front) hook over the guards allowing sunny heads to slide in the auger trough. The pans have a common beam underneath that allows the system to come off at season end. The original reel is removed, and the larger drum replaces it. This drum has long non-moving fingers to clear tough sunflower stalks off the knife.

We used to have a Luecke sunflower pan set-up. The Luecke is similar, but uses no reel at all. I have gotten great results cutting solid seeded flowers with the Luecke system. Jeff

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll try and answer what questions I can

1 cessnaguy - no we don't work for Diamond Ring, in fact rumor has it they summer fallowed most all of their acres this year.

2 Roundbaler - all the combines in the pictures are '06 machines and they are factory installed beacons. Yes we bought an STX 275 this past winter to replace the MX

3 Casefarmer - we run Maurer hopper extensions on all of our machines and add the 8" extensions to them for corn harvest.

4 Dustyk - Our main reason we didn't switch to the small STX's earlier is weight. Don't quote me but the smaller hp STX 275 weighs around 7000#'s more than the 9250 which has almost 50 more hp. The refinements of the STX are very nice but really irrelevant for a cart tractor. We did enjoy it on the corn planter this spring though. Also yes we have Tyler running one of our crews when we are split up.

The header you were referring to is as JM2388 said, a "Seedeater" pan attachment or previously know as a "Bonco"pan, Midwest Machine in Jamestown http://www.seed-eater.com/ makes them, out in SD we run the Sunmaster row heads http://www.westwardproducts.com/pickups_headers3.htm reason is all the flowers we do out there are in 30" rows, the pan's, as they are refered to, we use in Northern MN for flowers that are either solid seeded or narrow rows. The Sunmaster's are the ultimate flower header as they do a great job at high speeds and tough conditions with minimal loss but are limited to 30"rows which is why we still need the pans. The pan's work great but can give trouble in tough conditions. Pan's are also 1/5 the price of the Sunmaster's.

5 Cliffcutter - Question's for you, what part of WC MN are you from? What crew did you use to work for? and Last who is the neighbor kid working for?

6 Ralf - Hope you are enjoying yourself there in Garden. We do still have some regular Case IH cornheads around yet, one 8/30 and a 12/22. Next time we upgrade them they will be Geringhoff's.

7 JM2388 - Where are you located east of Pierre? Have you got any rain this week?

·
Registered
17 Posts
7 JM2388 - Where are you located east of Pierre? Have you got any rain this week?

jharvest, our main place is just west of where Westlake does the other cutting for Ogans. We also farm 2400 acres down by you when you cut on the old Red Creek farm. We have the land 1/2 mile south of 34, between the Joe Creek Road and the West Bend road. 2 combines, 1 cart, 4 semi's dumping in Pierre (in between Johnson trucks!) and Harrold. Trucks marked: Metzinger Farms.

No, it only rained enuf they other day to settle the dust momentarily...like .004. Its been just plain ugly-hot for the past two weeks. Jeff

ps. I enjoy seeing your equipment every year. That is nice stuff, very impressive. Jeff

·
Registered
632 Posts
Jharvest wrote

Cliffcutter - Question's for you, what part of WC MN are you from? What crew did you use to work for? and Last who is the neighbor kid working for?

Hello JHarvest.1. I farm west of Clarkfield.2.In '86 we ran with Beck Harvesting from Montevideo.We owned one of the trucks that towed one of his 8820 combines.A guy from Texas(Iowa Bob we called him) owned the other truck that towed the other 8820.
We only went south 1 year but Beck continued for a few more years and then the last few years he did only local harvesting before selling out in Feb.? '05.The neighbor is with Olsen from Hendricks Mn..He likes it as long as they can stay busy.We told him he wouldn't get rich doing it but you can't beat the learning experience.
Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts