The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do yall think the 9870 will hang with the cat 480 or 590...I think It can hang with the 480,but would love to see a 9870 run, have HEARD people say that the 9870 is a beast & the upgrades made to it makes a difference. I really don't think the Deere 9870 will hang with the 590, I doubt it.. I Demoed a 2008 Lexion 590 in wheat this past June & got to operate it this season& my reaction was....
i'm a deere man,but the fuel usage on the Big Lexion really did impress me the most, I knew It was going to out do my 9760 combine anyway, that Lexion combine is too much combine for me & the price of it!!!!!;D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not trying to start no colr war.I think all machines have good & bad points. I was just interested in how a 9870sts would perform..I've heard some great things over the 9860,but I havent seen one in action myself. I like Deere the best because they have done right by me most of the time & I like deere equiptment overall, but I will try others out. I think Cat has a heck of a combine,hard to beat/ that class 9 can cut wheat over 6mph, & put nothing on the ground...but if you buy one you better make sureyou have good dealer support. I like the CVT drive in the Case 7010, the fact that it only has 3 belts and 3 chains I think on the whole machine!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Its not even a contest, putting a 590 vs a 9870 is like putting a 580 vs a 590. They are 2 different class machines. But I'll let you know how the 9870 performs in 2 weeks when we have ours in winter wheat.

·
Registered
566 Posts
my cousin demoed one last fall and he said its a corn eating machine. If I rember right he was running 7 mph in 150bu corn w/ a 12row corn head in the hills. He was very impressed with its performance over a 9660sts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on now Nebraska4020, I think that comparision remark is taking it waaaaaaaaay to far.
I know the Deere 9870 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay closer to the 590 than that.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Interesting that you mention a 580 vs. a 590 but not a 9770 to a 9870. Aren't the 9770 and 9870 two different class machines also?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Who did?

John Deere Did

Talking to a custom cutter that has 3 9770STS and told me that this is a great combine, out performs the 9760STS he had and we talked about the 9870STS that he has been around this season and is a higher class then it every was with the 9860STS.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Interesting that you mention a 580 vs. a 590 but not a 9770 to a 9870. Aren't the 9770 and 9870 two different class machines also?

Yes Muddy they are. With the upgrades both are super combines.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Same physical size combines, they are not of 2 different classes. When only difference in the 2 is 1100 sq of cleaning and HP. And coming soon both 9770 and 9870 will share the same amount of cleaning space. Really making the 2 the same combine with only HP difference.

Lets not forget that the 1100 sq. in. difference in cleaning area is really not in the most opportune location to maximize its potential benefit.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
That can be done even now if you want to put the Dyno-Flo II in the 9770STS, but the separator drives are heaver in the 9870STS for that HP, I know you can chip for more HP for the 9770STS but then what with the drives. But that is the big problem, what is truly a class for any combine then. That needs to be changed before everybody shoots down a combine or makes a combine look great.

EVEN ME

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Same physical size combines, they are not of 2 different classes. When only difference in the 2 is 1100 sq of cleaning and HP. And coming soon both 9770 and 9870 will share the same amount of cleaning space. Really making the 2 the same combine with only HP difference.

Go figure, a galvanized steel fan is also a deere expert . . . not so much. The 98 has alot bigger rotor drives, as well as a larger airflow system, larger clean grain handling system, higher capacity feeder-house slip clutches, optional powershift feederhouse with extra hp for you corn guys. I guess they are pretty small an unnoticeable changes . . .

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Lets not forget that the 1100 sq. in. difference in cleaning area is really not in the most opportune location to maximize its potential benefit.

Just let loose I would love to hear another muddy rant on how bad green paint is, I need a good laugh.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Come on now Nebraska4020, I think that comparision remark is taking it waaaaaaaaay to far.
I know the Deere 9870 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay closer to the 590 than that.
I'd say that comparison is a tad extreme as well.
Course I don't think anyone would miss the point.

Don

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lets not forget that the 1100 sq. in. difference in cleaning area is really not in the most opportune location to maximize its potential benefit. Also,muddy,Deere's way of cleaning may be a good design for the 9870,maybe thats all THEY need is the additional 1100 sq. in, plus other deere changes in the machine to help out. I'm not saying the 9870 is a Lexion killer, but maybe it be alot closer comparison than in the past. It really don't matter anyway, because by fall 2010 the 70 series will be history anyway. Deere is just tweaking & testing the current 70 series combines to get feedback, I beleive the 09 9870 STS will have the prodrive transmission & a self leveling cleaning device or SLS which I beleive will carry over to the all-new combine series.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
I'm not a Lexion or a JD man, but why on earth are you guys trying to compare a class 8 to a class nine? Wouldn't a 580/585 to a 9870 be a more fair competition?

This sounds like comparing a 7010 to a 9895...

Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Also,muddy,Deere's way of cleaning may be a good design for the 9870,maybe thats all THEY need is the additional 1100 sq. in, plus other deere changes in the machine to help out. I'm not saying the 9870 is a Lexion killer, but maybe it be alot closer comparison than in the past. It really don't matter anyway, because by fall 2010 the 70 series will be history anyway. Deere is just tweaking & testing the current 70 series combines to get feedback, I beleive the 09 9870 STS will have the prodrive transmission & a self leveling cleaning device or SLS which I beleive will carry over to the all-new combine series.

Or maybe Automatic Chassis Tilt.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts