The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are using a caseih adapter on the header, not having real good luck with feeding smooth all the time, it wants to throw straw over the auger in the center by the feeder house chain. Tried different adjustments with so/so improvements, it is new to us mid season 2009. Is anyone having good luck running these newer headers on the older series combines. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: 2008 2020 header on 2388

Make sure the auger flighting is as close to the feeder chain as you can with proper header angle by adjusting the adapter and feeder face combination. Set the auger speed sprocket on the high setting (stock is slow). You will see improvement adding the additional auger stripper kit as well.
You did not say how wide a head you have, you might have to limit the vertical auger float travel, but only if the auger speed increase does not solve it first.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I have 2020 on 2188. The mechanic where I bought it told me that the pitch is different on the back of the head than the 1020. To get a close cut in beans I have to adjust it way forward. He said to add some half links to the feeder chain and adjust it out closer to the auger to improve feeding. Mine also has the extra flights on the auger for the narrower feeder and that might help some.

·
Registered
74 Posts

We are running a 35ft 2020 on a 2388. Did add some feeder chain links. But the biggest thing we found is the front feeder drum has to be in the bottom position for beans and wheat to get them to feed properly.

·
Registered
657 Posts

michfarmer : also i know there is a speed up kit they offer to put on the 2020 heads to make it work better on the 23 25 series combines. know of two guys who were running 2020 heads on 2588s and were haveing troubles caseih told them about this kit since these model combines don't have variable speed feeder house. from what i have been hearing alot of people not happy with the way they are feeding

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

8010, When you are referring to the speed up kit, is that more then just changing the sprockets on the auger drive shaft to make it run faster?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When we had our 2020 on a 2388 it did the same thing. Look in the center of the drum and locate the 3 unused holes, they are in a straight line. There should be 2 sets 180 degrees apart. We took 2 inch angle iron and a 4 inch rubber flap that was very stiff and bolted on to the angle iron and then the angle iron and flap to the drum. One on one side and one on the other. Worked perfect after that. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts