The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
why do you need autosteer for corn? it doesnt take that much effor to glance at the cornhead....im still trying to figure out why everyone down south is still using 36" rows, you'd think they would wanna go to 20-30" to get a canopy and conserve moisture.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
We have a customers, that is two brothers that got a new 9770STS and new 12 row corn head with RowSense, they are on RTK so they will go done there rows. They are notill also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's pretty simple. Most farmers down here are on 36 or 38 inch corn because that is what cotton is on. It doesn't make much sense to knock down beds every year to go 30 inch corn and then knocking them back down at the end of the year to go back to 36-38 inch cotton, especially with the price of fuel like it is. So, most of the time we just hip it back up or plant it no till.

There are a few on 30 inch down here and very few on 20. That being said, if the return on cotton continues to be less than corn and soybeans, there will be a lot more people going to 30 inch rows.

About conserving water: Alot of the land down here is irrigated so it's not going to matter much about conserving moisture because down here, we cut the pivots on and usually don't turn them off unless it rains or we are changing oil in the engines.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We were running a 9760 john deere bullet rotor. 6 row 36 inch corn head. The tractor was a 4955 with a 590 killbros. there are 2 trucks, a frieghtliner, and an international. enjoy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We're having no trouble growing 200+ bu corn on 38-40" rows, only have to have one set of equipment and don't have to suffer through having our tractors set on 60" centers. Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's pretty simple. Most farmers down here are on 36 or 38 inch corn because that is what cotton is on. It doesn't make much sense to knock down beds every year to go 30 inch corn and then knocking them back down at the end of the year to go back to 36-38 inch cotton, especially with the price of fuel like it is. So, most of the time we just hip it back up or plant it no till.

. Okay,,,, educate me. I'm from Indiana and have never seen a cotton field,,,, so why does cotton HAVE to be grown in 36 or 38 inch rows?

Mark

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Nice pictures, Mason. That's some pretty countryside you have. I bet you can move at a pretty good clip with a six row header on that combine.

@Mark: Cotton doesn't have to be grown on wide rows. It's been grown successfully on 30s here out west for a while. In the western plains there has been a bunch of research with ultra-narrow row cotton (UNR) with spacings of 15 inches or less. UNR cotton can only be harvested with strippers, though. They're fitted with a special broadcast header that can work independent of row spacing and direction. I think Deere makes a picker that can harvest 15in rows, but they're probably more of a novelty. Most pickers are set up on 36-38s or 30s.

You guys from the South; is there any research that shows any yield benefits (or yield drag) when 30s are used compared to 38s, or is everything about the same?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Mason. Maybe the cotton discussion can be moved?

·
Registered
127 Posts
ebertfarms- We wern't using auto steer. We just have it there for soybeans and wheat when we run a 35ft head. As for the corn head. We always get out corn harvest out efficiently without a problem. plus we plant on 36inch rows.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah maybe we can move this discussion. Nice equipment mason.

But as for the spacing ?'s, I know that HERE everybody's on 40's because of the LACK of water. Dryland cotton on 40's will make quite a bit more that on 30's. We have a few neighbors that run on 30's. Plus cotton requires a lot of row crop maintenence like cultivating, fertilizer application, spraying, etc. and the wider rows make everything a lot easier, as well as conserves fuel. You can cover a lot more ground with an 8 row 40" stripper than an 8 row 30" machine. Also, you conserve water by using the LEPA applications on pivots as well. I'm not sure how guys on 30's do it, but the ones here just use splash pads on their pivots year round.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think there is some research about it, but I don't think the difference are enough to justify buying the newer equipment and knocking down the rows and go to 30 inch cotton. Alot of people that are going to 30 inch rows are doing it because they don't plan on having anything but corn, soybeans, and wheat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
oh yes the 9760 could handle a 12 row if it wanted. but we plant on 12 rows at a time. as for using a 6 row. well thats what we've always used an havnt hand any problems

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Any cotton I've seen from Dumas, TX on north is on 30s because that's what we plant the rest of our row crops on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts