The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new 1895 airdrill from my deere dealership for fall delivery 2009. My salesman told me that deere sold out of their 2009 combine production in 8 days this year. You have to place an order now to ensure a new combine in 2010. Is there truth to this?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I was told the same with the saleman that i work at also. But then they said that it could be changed and they did not say any more. So i really do not know, last year it was i think in the middle of Nov. that they sold out. But this is true for all manufactures too for being sold out or close to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got into a very short ordering availability window and ordered an 08 9770 in the fall of 07 and was told for several months following, that JD had not assigned a confirmed production date yet. My dealer told me it should be here approx. March 08, then he bumped it (still unconfirmed) to approx. mid July. I now have a "so called" confirmed build date of October 6 08. He told me even though I have a confirmed build date, that if by chance I get bumped out of this build date and put into an 09 production model, which is very possible (per his area JD rep) and that I will have to pay a 3% price increase on dealer net cost, (approx. $7,100.00) opposed to a 9 - 11% 09 model retail price increase. What's confusing to me is when I went to JD Harvester Works for a gold key tour to watch them build my 07 9660 on September 5th 2007 the tour guide told us this was the last production week of the 07 models and then they shut down to set up for the new 08 model year. It was a 60 to 70 series change, so maybe they are building the 08 70 series beyond September this year. My dealer said at this point all we can do is wait and see what JD is going to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Midas, Its amazing to me that JD can get away with telling you this. It doesn't even sound like your upset! You ordered a combine, the machine is considered "retail sold" this combine is going to a customer....Why is it so hard to lock down a build date when they know the machine is already sold? And don't say that every one wants Green. JD either cut production in the states or are more concerned with sending machines to the better market dollars oversees.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Midas, It could be that since it was a series change they shut down earlier to retool. Since they dont have to do that this year they can build the machines later into the year...
Bear, I dont think JD is trying to "get away" with anything, they are at capacity this year, and next year too i do believe, everything they build is sold. The reason why its so hard to lock down a date is you are depending on every part for every machine to be there and installed on time which doesnt happen. They were shut down early last week due to a storm that knocked out power to parts of the plant and some companys that supply parts to the factory. All those little set backs add up when you dont have downtime to catch back up.....
It could also be that they only get so many parts to make 9770's at a time, once you are out of 9.0 liter engines for example, you may have to build a different model number until the other suppliers can provide you with that set of parts.....sorry to get so long winded....from what i hear the guys and gals down at Harvester works are going to be very busy for atleast the next few years....
Its not that they cut production to the states, granted they do a run of Euro machines but they group them all together and they reset for NA machines, its just that they havent been this busy for quite some time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Midas,

It would appear your dealer is Prairieland (Nuefelds), Wichita branch. It would also appear you are a loyal John Deere customer. Did or do you have an executed/signed contract/purchase order?

It is a fact that Deere sold thousands of machines to Russia and CIS (eastern Europe) and is adding a second line to their combine factory. But, you did not get your machine for wheat harvest and the dealer is putting you off past your milo harvest. Do you really "need" a new machine? Commodity prices are not going up. If you don't have anything in writing , maybe the combine gods are telling you to wait a year or two. Combines might be a buyer's market.

No advice here, just think about it. If they promised you a machine, then Neufelds can probably get you a 9770, might not be yours, but a 9770 for milo harvest if you squeak enough.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Our dealer in SE South Dakota sold out their allotment of '09 combines in about 5-6 days. Our salesman there (we didn't buy a new combine) said they don't care if people back out of the deal because of delivery date because they have a whole line of people that want to take their machines. Absolutely crazy that you have to buy that far in advance. However, there will be a lot of good used machines coming to the market of all ages through people trading up, for us smaller farmers that don't want/need a new machine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tractor8100, I actually trade with one of the owning partners at The Prairie land Partners JD in Anthony Ks for my big AG equipment and the Prairie land Wichita store for my small tractors and yard stuff, it was formally Conrady Western.
87bearcat after getting all the inside hands-on scoop on all the upgrades to the 70 series at the factory tour, I actually called from the hotel room after the tour and wanted to order the 9770 when the ordering window came open. When the 9660 arrived I paid for it, never ran it or even picked it up and months later they sold it. To date they are holding a credit for the exact amount I paid for the 9660 to go toward the 9770 when it gets here. They also provided me with a decent loaner for wheat harvest, so how can I honestly complain, (I don't know about my soy/Milo harvest yet) In my opinion for something I started, they truly did bend over backwards for me. I did get a little upset over the extra $$ for an 09 so they offered me my 9660 $$ back if the 9770 comes in an 09 but it wouldn't make sense to take my $$ back and start all over somewhere else. I was not told why it might be bumped, overseas sales issues or the Quad City flooding, I was just told it can and might happen. The date still stood as of last week. I want to stress again that the dealer has gone way above and beyond his call of duty to make sure I'm taken care of and that's why he has my Business. I also ordered an 08 8330 50" rears and duels all around, IVT, ILS, and AMS/GPS auto steer and got it in Feb., Its one awesome tractor. The Gold Key tour at the Waterloo Tractor Works was a lot better then the Harvester tour was.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Midas, I'm glad your dealer is taking care of you, Its good to see that the dealer can step up and make sure things are right for you.
My rant leaned a little heavy on the JD mfg but it seems to be the procedure in almost all other colors as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts