The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
I was there and can verify that the corn was wet..the kernels and ear or two I found on the ground were not black layered...several kernels had milk line 3/4ths down the kernel. My estimate was 35-40%. I saw the loss from the 9120 on the first pass..second pass looked much better. Lexion had issues as well on the first pass.

· Registered
292 Posts
I agree that 35% is extremely conservative. Not all of the combines were emptying the tank when they unloaded. (no comment on unloading time relating to field loss) The corn (that I saw) on the ground behind the 9120 seemed to be in a narrow strip on each side of the shoe. I don't know if it would have been noticeable had the spreaders been running.

· Registered
292 Posts
You guys were all at the same event, were you?

These little demos strike me as rather pointless, I gather little area is used for setup,
conditions vary and it sound like harvesting corn at that moisture while not unheard of, is rare.
So overall what did one learn?

Don

Absolutely nothing!

And to anyone who happens to read this and is unfamiliar with corn (likely very few)...the plant continues to add dry matter to the kernel until black layer is reached, which blocks additional sugars from entering the kernel. When this occurs, approximate moisture is 32-33 percent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.