The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys we have a 9770 with around 1500 hours. Run 38 singles. With RWA. FD75 35' head.

Like the Greenstar autosteer on the 9770. But not sold on the machine. I'm 6'10" and 270. hard for me to grease a lot of the zerks. Blew a accelerater belt this year in beans. We were die hard red and went to deere. Had a 8010 loved it but our red dealer was not good on service.

I work a 45 hr a week job and run 1300 acres. So time is money for me. Quick service ability. Easy to work on.

I'm wanting to know how you guys running the silver seeder S's are getting along with them?

Would like to keep the Fd75 but I've heard good things about the dynas.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your like me a midnight and weekend farmer. We don't run as new a Gleaner as the S series but the machine is still similar. Gleaner has the fewest moving parts, gearboxs etc. You rarely hear about engine issues. They are easy on fuel compared to the others. I do all the work on our machine, they are so easy to work on. Need to pull the rotor out in .5 - 1hr. Everything runs on right angles, simple. The only downfall is dealers are hit and miss. We're lucky and have an alright dealer close by and AGCO parts depot is located 45min away. Their a physically smaller combine so it will save you some room in your shed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tootall I do not know anything about a Gleaner but the 9770 are know to be a reliable and fairly bullet proof machine. How long have you had the 9770 and have you had a lot of problems with it?
We have had it two years.

We have had problems with the propulsion sensor. With the pro drive. Will come to a stop and have to shut off the combine and cycle the key 10-20 times for it to move again...

Not a big fan of the feed axcelerator roll. Like case IH transition cone a lot better.

I feel like we have quite a bit of loss with this machine. Tried about everything.

We run about 700 acres of wheat. 600 row crops. Beans and milo mostly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your like me a midnight and weekend farmer. We don't run as new a Gleaner as the S series but the machine is still similar. Gleaner has the fewest moving parts, gearboxs etc. You rarely hear about engine issues. They are easy on fuel compared to the others. I do all the work on our machine, they are so easy to work on. Need to pull the rotor out in .5 - 1hr. Everything runs on right angles, simple. The only downfall is dealers are hit and miss. We're lucky and have an alright dealer close by and AGCO parts depot is located 45min away. Their a physically smaller combine so it will save you some room in your shed.

We have Lang Diesel 10 mins away in Salina. Very good on service!

But I guess in a way I'm brain washed with keeping with red and green... We only have one guy out west of town that runs silver. R60 I think. So not a lot of silver in my area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are in the right part of the country for Gleaner dealers and service. The machines run well if the header is set up right and accelerator roll lugs are in good shape. Compared to an R60 the S7 series is simpler on the drives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having the factory 45 mins away ain't bad either! Parts will defiantly be available.

Our deere dealer is really great on service and sales to so it makes it a hard choice. Guess we'll look at the numbers next.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hi Jim,

I'm the mug on Lang's 'Doing what it takes' video. As you can see if you watch the video, I can't complain about the service from Langs'.

I find it a little funny that you call our combines 'silver seeder' while complaining that you have excessive loss with your 'straight thru seeder'.

From what I have seen at the elevator, you can't beat a Gleaner for clean samples in beans. I get told all the time our beans are much cleaner than what is cut with a Deere.

I run a 2011 S77 with a 40' DynaFlex for wheat and beans and a 12 row corn head. For me the DynaFlex feeds well even in green stem beans. I was cutting beans in a field next to 2 S670's cutting beans also. I sent 3 semi loads to the elevator in the time it took the 2 S670's to send 4 semi's. I had a single grain cart while they had two.

That's my $.02, bias as it is.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also if this is an indicator of the quality of the design, we're covering the same amount of acres as you (durum, lentils, barley and canola) with a 30 year old Gleaner. Maybe spent $2500 on repairs this year (parts only) and this was above average.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
My custom cutters are runnin S Gleaners, they seem like the clear shot, half the fuel of green or red, simple, light weight. Only thing I recommend is the Rodono chopper and with the FD-75 you will want to make sure behind the center auger the shields cover 3" on both sides of the feeder house or you will have feeder chain nightmares. All and all they are good machines

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jim,

I'm the mug on Lang's 'Doing what it takes' video. As you can see if you watch the video, I can't complain about the service from Langs'.

I find it a little funny that you call our combines 'silver seeder' while complaining that you have excessive loss with your 'straight thru seeder'.

From what I have seen at the elevator, you can't beat a Gleaner for clean samples in beans. I get told all the time our beans are much cleaner than what is cut with a Deere.

I run a 2011 S77 with a 40' DynaFlex for wheat and beans and a 12 row corn head. For me the DynaFlex feeds well even in green stem beans. I was cutting beans in a field next to 2 S670's cutting beans also. I sent 3 semi loads to the elevator in the time it took the 2 S670's to send 4 semi's. I had a single grain cart while they had two.

That's my $.02, bias as it is.

I've always called the gleaners silver seeders. I guess I can call them that since I may have one of the oldest ones around! Well maybe.. We have a 1927 gleaner Baldwin sn 17. I think Hesston may have one on display down at the factory. We have the Fordson restored maybe going to get the combine redone. Anyways I'm not trying to bash the gleaners.

How do you like the 40' head on that class seven? Any problems with power?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've always called the gleaners silver seeders. I guess I can call them that since I may have one of the oldest ones around! Well maybe.. We have a 1927 gleaner Baldwin sn 17. I think Hesston may have one on display down at the factory. We have the Fordson restored maybe going to get the combine redone. Anyways I'm not trying to bash the gleaners.

I know you're not bashing Gleaners, I just found the comment amusing.

Last summer we rented the S77 we have now. I cut wheat with a 30' DynaFlex and couldn't push it fast enough. Since this is the highest horsepower combine I've been in, I can't say I've had any power problems. It does a good job for what I'm doing. The 40' loads the machine well at a reasonable ground speed. I'm sure the 8 series would be even better. I suppose a little more torque at times would be nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I know you're not bashing Gleaners, I just found the comment amusing.

Last summer we rented the S77 we have now. I cut wheat with a 30' DynaFlex and couldn't push it fast enough. Since this is the highest horsepower combine I've been in, I can't say I've had any power problems. It does a good job for what I'm doing. The 40' loads the machine well at a reasonable ground speed. I'm sure the 8 series would be even better. I suppose a little more torque at times would be nice.
What kind of ground speed are you traveling in 40-50 bushel wheat with that 40'?

Where are you located at?

How's the dynaflex work for you? Problems?

Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions but want to learn as much as I can about these Supers!

The only thing I've herd bad about the 8 series is the engine oil dipstick. I guess hard to get to for bigger fellas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
we run a new 2013 S77 put around 450 engine and 280 seperator hrs on it and the only trouble we had was a couple of clean grain paddles broke bolts and after the second paddle came off lang diesel said replace the chain because apprently they had to soft of bolts on some of the clean grain paddles. So one morning if took them about a 1/2 hour to put the new chain on. We run a 30 foot dyna flex i really like the way it cuts but the row dividers i am not a big fan of because they run down alot of soybeans. In corn we run an 8 row head and in nebraska running in 220 bushel per acre corn 1/2 mile long rows and 2 840 grain carts dumping into the bin it was all the grain cart drivers could do to keep up. I was running around 5.5 mph to 6 sometimes and i think around 3500 bushels to 3600 bushels per hour.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
We have had it two years.

We have had problems with the propulsion sensor. With the pro drive. Will come to a stop and have to shut off the combine and cycle the key 10-20 times for it to move again...

Not a big fan of the feed axcelerator roll. Like case IH transition cone a lot better.

I feel like we have quite a bit of loss with this machine. Tried about everything.

We run about 700 acres of wheat. 600 row crops. Beans and milo mostly.
Those wheat acres a gleaner is your best choice... They excel extremely well in wheat..

·
Registered
777 Posts
What kind of ground speed are you traveling in 40-50 bushel wheat with that 40'?

Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions but want to learn as much as I can about these Supers!

The only thing I've herd bad about the 8 series is the engine oil dipstick. I guess hard to get to for bigger fellas.
This year we cut 37 - 58 bu/ac dryland wheat moving 5.7 - 4.7 mph respectively. I burned between 14.4 - 15.2 gallons of fuel an hour. We also cut some 95 bu/ac irrigated wheat at 3.2 mph average still burning 15.2 gal/hr of fuel on average. All numbers are off the yield monitor. I've not had any big problems with the dynaflex.

My location is right below my name on the left. :D

I'd rather have the dipstick on the front side of the engine then where it is on my 2011 S77. At least on the front you can pull it straight out of the tube without twisting your arm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This year we cut 37 - 58 bu/ac dryland wheat moving 5.7 - 4.7 mph respectively. I burned between 14.4 - 15.2 gallons of fuel an hour. We also cut some 95 bu/ac irrigated wheat at 3.2 mph average still burning 15.2 gal/hr of fuel on average. All numbers are off the yield monitor. I've not had any big problems with the dynaflex.

My location is right below my name on the left.

I'd rather have the dipstick on the front side of the engine then where it is on my 2011 S77. At least on the front you can pull it straight out of the tube without twisting your arm.
Cutting wheat at 6 mph in 40bpa I burn about 17.5-18.0 gph.
Beans 6mph 40bpa 18.0-19.0 gph.
This is with the 35' mac don...

sorry I cannot see your location I am on my iPhone. The format is totally different on the computer than the iPhone. We are currently building a house so we are in a rental house with no Internet so are using our iPhones instead.

Thank you for all your input.

By the way do you run auto guidance? Top con? I'm in love with the Greenstar but have the Viper 4 for my Miller Condor. And get along with it fine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.