The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a 2011 chevy with a duramax diesel. It has 71000 kms and 1650 engine hours. The hours seem a little high for those # of kms. My 2011 6L gas engine truck has 846 hrs with about 64000 kms. My gas truck kms are pretty much all highway. Should I have any concerns about the hrs?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have one with about the same numbers. Really like the truck except for the DEF problems in the winter if you don't drive it far enough so it will work right.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Buying a 2011 chevy with a duramax diesel. It has 71000 kms and 1650 engine hours. The hours seem a little high for those # of kms. My 2011 6L gas engine truck has 846 hrs with about 64000 kms. My gas truck kms are pretty much all highway. Should I have any concerns about the hrs?
I bought a new Duramax in 2011 and I have 240000km and 6100hrs on it and haven't done anything on it except putting a def delete kit in it at 220000km that was the first time it gave me any problems and I was out of warranty, defiantly better fuel mileage after the delete

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Where did this truck come from? If it was in the oil patch, those hours are probably right. Alot of formans etc. take the truck out to the sites and just let them idle all day if it's cold out. Thats still pretty low hours so I wouldn't worry too much, even though it is a chevy!!! Now if it was a Ford, it would still have that new car smell!!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I bought a new Duramax in 2011 and I have 240000km and 6100hrs on it and haven't done anything on it except putting a def delete kit in it at 220000km that was the first time it gave me any problems and I was out of warranty, defiantly better fuel mileage after the delete
Just DEF delete or did you delete the DPF too?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
So what kind of def problems do these trucks have??
I just bought a 2015 and I'm curious how the def system works in the winter.
NOX sensors and DEF injectors did give problems some also had DEF level sensors that failed. These issues were more prevalent in the 11s as were TCM failures.
I had an 11, no DEF problems but a TCM failure(warranty).
I have a 13 now and no issues so far.
On your 15 you might want to have your dealer check the clamp the connects the down pipe off the back of the turbo, some have been loose or misaligned from the factory and will cause smoke or steam coming out especially during Regen when fuel is being delivered through the 9th injector. It wont take them long to check it, and may save you some hassel.
I had that issue on the 11 and it sounds like 15s have it too.
The heater for the DEF tank only heats in a small bladder
in the tank so your Def level may only show 30% when you are almost full.
Do not fill the DEF tanks full in winter when the fluid freezes it may bust the tank.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Or...
You could spend 10 less grand, remove nothing, be able to buy fuel anywhere, for 75% of the price.

Oh please, enjoy your diesels gentlemen.;)
i enjoy mine every day Don but mines an 06 so i didn't have to deal with the DPF or DEF but the cat and EGR system did fall off of it one day. :D

Can't beat the power and torque of a diesel and i won't be going to a gas truck anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,652 Posts
Sad but true, but gassers just wont pull with the Diesels.:(;)
There I'll agree.
Gas engines have also tightened the fuel economy gap, mainly thanks to multi speed automatic transmissions that don't benefit diesels as much.

My issue is I see diesel trucks bought for the same thing I use my pickup for...a glorified car.:rolleyes:

Obviously I have no idea how the trucks on this thread are going to be used, I'm just sayin you need one **** of a good reason to buy a diesel pickup these days, all things considered.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I work in the oil patch 7 months out of the year and I would drive a gas job but it's hard to find gas in some of these remote location and diesel is free 90% of the time

·
Super Moderator
2,652 Posts
My 2011 6L gas engine truck has 846 hrs with about 64000 kms.
Wow, you sure?
75.65 km/hr.
I had a '02 Denali that actually kept track of this, if I averaged 60.0 km/hr I was lucky.
And I thought I was driving the piss out of it.:eek:

Must have done lots of long trips?

·
Super Moderator
2,652 Posts
I work in the oil patch 7 months out of the year and I would drive a gas job but it's hard to find gas in some of these remote location and diesel is free 90% of the time
True in the sticks but on the road it can be tricky to find diesel.
And I'm talking a Three Hills to Winnipeg trip last year, 95% of which was along the Trans Canada.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Or...
You could spend 10 less grand, remove nothing, be able to buy fuel anywhere, for 75% of the price.

Oh please, enjoy your diesels gentlemen.;)
Actually the costs must be much higher Don, pulled into Timmy's the other day with our little Focus, shut it down and counted ten idling diesel pickups and boy did it stink! Must have troubles starting these engines and it's embarrassing to have a tow truck there rescuing you :p. What's really odd is go to anybody who sells or works on diesels and the first thing they tell you is "DON'T IDLE THESE ENGINES!".

That being said we did buy a 5.4 gasser with 150,000km and 8700hrs on the engine (that's 17.24km/hr average), it now has 9400hrs at 201,000km (now 72,86km/hr average). I did have to replace one rocker $56 and changed out the plugs. Engine seems strong, burns no oil and is good for another several thousand hours (hopefully :D).

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
One of My pet peeves as well is Idling Diesel Trucks !! 25 years ago they needed to run but not now, shut the thing off

1 - 20 of 73 Posts