The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
So what kind of def problems do these trucks have??
I just bought a 2015 and I'm curious how the def system works in the winter.
If you don't let them run long enough or drive far enough the def tank is froze after -12 or so and it messes the system up. Then you have to put it inside and warm it up and go for a drive to reset it. Happened 3 times last winter to me twice it went back to dealer last time I just put it inside the shop for 4 days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow, you sure?
75.65 km/hr.
I had a '02 Denali that actually kept track of this, if I averaged 60.0 km/hr I was lucky.
And I thought I was driving the piss out of it.:eek:

Must have done lots of long trips?
That's what it says. Pretty much only use it for pulling 5th wheel and trips to city. 400km round trip to Edmonton. Almost no city driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
That's what it says. Pretty much only use it for pulling 5th wheel and trips to city. 400km round trip to Edmonton. Almost no city driving.
K, that's possible then.
I live less than 8 km from town so while not city driving to get mail and milk it still makes up a higher %age of the trip.

I think I erased my total hrs/fuel on my current pickup, wish they made at least one totalizer fixed.

I have to see if it can be dug up somewhere else out of the electronic jungle.
Edit: Nope. Not by owner anyway. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't be scared of those hours/miles at all. After buying my duramax I don't think I'll ever go back to a gasser for most of the farm use we use it for. Even the 7.3 in my beater farm service truck sure beats the hec out of a gasser trying to lug the body and all the tools around.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I wouldn't be scared of those hours/miles at all. After buying my duramax I don't think I'll ever go back to a gasser for most of the farm use we use it for. Even the 7.3 in my beater farm service truck sure beats the hec out of a gasser trying to lug the body and all the tools around.
Agree, It would be very hard to go back to a gas job now and since the initial investment has been made trading from Diesel to Diesel isn`t bad, but the premium Diesel is holding over gas is a piss off and with the initial cost would make trading from a gas to a new Diesel very hard justify if you didn`t have the work for it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Buying a 2011 chevy with a duramax diesel. It has 71000 kms and 1650 engine hours. The hours seem a little high for those # of kms. My 2011 6L gas engine truck has 846 hrs with about 64000 kms. My gas truck kms are pretty much all highway. Should I have any concerns about the hrs?
Would not be worried about the hours. The LML style truck you are looking at has a better frame /suspension/brakes than previous models as well as some engine improvements.
If you are buying from a GM dealer have them look up and give you any info they can on Warranty/ service that has been done. It may give you an insight to what issues the truck has had and if its one that has been a DEF problem child.

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Major changes over the years!

When diesel pickups first started showing up the were so noisy I wouldn't have had one as a gift! What, a truck is supposed to noisier than my tractor?:eek:
But now, some diesels are quieter than some gas units.:)
They also don't stink anymore.

Much to some of your surprise perhaps I actually also own a 1 tonne diesel, circa 2011.
I don't care for the rougher ride, the even klutzier handling than a 1/2 tonne counter part, or especially the power deployed footboards the 1/2 has.:)

I've driven the diesel about 3500 km.
In a slightly shorter time frame I've put about 120,000 on the gas.
I always had the choice.
That tell ya anything?

Oh yeah, another dumb thing, the gas has a 136 L tank and the diesel 95 ish, so you have to fill much oftener with the diesel, since they use about the same.
Unless you don't drive it.;)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Yes Don, that tells me your using shed space that could be used for other more cherished but more useable items and as an offer, I am sure I could find shed space somewhere on this yard to store it :D

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Yes Don, that tells me your using shed space that could be used for other more cherished but more useable items and as an offer, I am sure I could find shed space somewhere on this yard to store it :D
Well actually...
My daughter uses it for pulling her trailer to horse shows, in fact she nicknamed it the "Fun Ton".:rolleyes:
It wouldn't affect my story, if both sitting side by side available I wouldn't take the diesel.

Funny you should say that though, my daughter and her boyfriend partnered and bought an acreage about 20 km away, they've had the Fun Ton for about three months.
Was just telling Jayne yesterday we should get it home before they invoke the possession is 9/10's law!;)

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
And before she gets any idea's of plastering one of those cheesy horse saying type bumper stickers on that you'll have a heck of a time peeling off :rolleyes:
No problem there, she just loves horses and horsemanship but has no vanity about it.:)

I have no idea where she got this.:confused:
Should I ask for a paternity test?;)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Although I've not personally had any diesel vehicles, my dad did years ago which meant an era of horrible starting units that smoked and belched in the middle of the summer if not plugged in and certainly would never think of starting during the winter unless plugged in. So I saw a lot of hassles which yes now I suppose these units can start but does that mean not planning ahead and plugging them in is good for them, I doubt it.

I still remember my brother inlaws disgust after an ordeal he had one winter of some idiot plowing into the fifth wheel king pin assembly of his holiday trailer because they flew off the road onto his lawn/drivway in town and causing damage to the trailer jacking system. So the brother inlaw was home at the time and rushes out and into his mid 90's chev diesel pickup and starts it up and tries to catch up to the guy who took off from the scene of the accident. He never caught up to anyone but instead blew his engine as it was now knocking like crazy because it had not sat and idled to warm up. He sold it and never bought a diesel again, stuck with his gas pickups for the limited amount he pulled his trailer as mostly it was a few kms of a drive to work and the around town driving anyway. Diesels certainly have their place, no question but its a bit of overkill to see one that putters around town and doesn't really go anywhere and for the most part haul or tow very little.

As to you're daughter Don, I think it would almost be a question of wonder if she did NOT love horses as its like a right of passage, a girl growing up anywhere near rural life is often going to be crazy about horses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have 2011 Dually, complete DEF system tank level error @ 70K miles . Threw truck into limp mode 200 miles from home. Do not let DEF tank get < 1/3 tank or the sensors will think it is empty even after you fill DEF tank

·
Registered
202 Posts
diesels are not always convenient but it pulls much better than a Gasser. each diesel truck is different some are terrible in the winter some start every time without plug in, just get lucky i guess.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Duramax's are typically good reliable trucks. Have an 06 Duramax, quite the upgrade from my old Chevy 1500 with 260k on the clock. It's been good to me knock on wood. Don't need a diesel most of the time, but when I do I wouldn't want to be without it. I can't justify or afford having a gas and diesel so just have the diesel. Bought it with 140,000 miles so it was half the price of a new gas pickup but is twice as capable. Works good for my situation. Like mentioned the hr meter is notorious for resetting. Good luck.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts