The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use my diesel to pull 30,000 lbs to the field three or four times a day all fall to the field try to get that going down the road with a gas truck you may do it but day in day out not fun.Im fortunate that it got a loaded gas truck that I call my car it goes to town for parts and the odd vacation but I think it's to light to be pulling loads like the diesel can.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Diesels still stink if they idle enough, I promise you...

I wanna haul thirty thousand pounds I use a real truck and haul eighty or a hundred thousand pound payload and get it done in a quarter the time.

My gasser starts every time reliably, no matter the temperature, no issues with summer/winter fuel, gelling, water etc. Start and go, fast warmup, no glow plugs to deal with, no DEF, quiet, even cold and after several thousand hours. Easier on the powertrain, environment, tires and the bank account. Change plugs every fifty thousand or so. Might lack a little torque but gets every load I've tried moving without issues. A little lighter but I can add weight and it'll float over where allot of diesels will sink. Blow an engine? I can get another the same day for the cost of a set of injectors for a diesel.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Picked up a new KW class 8 truck this fall. Funny thing was there was no "gasser" option. Just like it's no option for me in a pickup as well as EVERY other piece of equipment on the farm.

As to the OP the dmax has been a great engine. We have an 04 pushing 600,000km's and the thing still don't burn a drop of oil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love my '12 duramax. Don't mind the def at all since it cleans the exhaust right up. about 85k on it now and no issues. I also have a mint 96' sierra 1/2t I use to drive around with the rest of the time (my car). I agree the diesels are overkill in most situations so I mostly use it on long trips and for the fifth wheel and going sledding to BC. Much prefer the gas for driving around the farm and to town. Save the km on the diesel for where it's actually useful so hopefully I can keep it a long time and spend the money in better places!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I love my '12 duramax. Don't mind the def at all since it cleans the exhaust right up. about 85k on it now and no issues. I also have a mint 96' sierra 1/2t I use to drive around with the rest of the time (my car). I agree the diesels are overkill in most situations so I mostly use it on long trips and for the fifth wheel and going sledding to BC. Much prefer the gas for driving around the farm and to town. Save the km on the diesel for where it's actually useful so hopefully I can keep it a long time and spend the money in better places!
Exactly why I'm replacing my 6L gas with a diesel. I have a regular cab 1/2 ton for my running around. That's why my '11 only has 64K. It will be nice to have the diesel for long trips and pulling.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Don't really love driving my diesel around.
Just did the build your own on a 2015 platinum f-150. Pushed over 80000 msrp with all the bells :eek::eek:
It lists for more than a 2015 platinum f-350 diesel but a few more bells and whistles.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Just did the build your own on a 2015 platinum f-150. Pushed over 80000 msrp with all the bells :eek::eek:
See what you mean, although I had to add 4 or 5 grand of options I wouldn't actually order.

Love the 360 camera.:)

My sister in-law has a Jeep with that adaptive cruise feature, really neat setup.

But....
Is the auto 4WD system better functioning?:(
Is the electric steering tilt/telescope steering column about 4 times as fast?
Did the get that ******* on/off cruise switch off the steering wheel.:mad:
Give me a permentately detent able dash switch or even better eliminate it altogether just keep resume on/not on, on steering wheel.

I know, I know, first world problems but very annoying ones.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yes Don they're add this but eliminate that is sure a pain. You can actually order a Lariat with the power fold boards but not on the fx4 if I remember right. Would prefer the fx4 cause you can get colour bumpers with black grill. Also can't get the non console leather 40/20/40 unless you eliminate blah blah blah.
Ford is advertising 3000lb payload in a half ton but it's tough to get to 2600 with the truck I want. Yes am trying to get out of a Diesel as a main use truck back to a half ton but it's proving difficult. Plus the 80000 list of a loaded f-150 is a mental blocker.
Just want a half ton that can load two sleds on the deck with gear and still be under payload weight on door sticker. The F-350 is a nice highway truck with sleds on the deck and for pulling. But the rest of the time rides like a lumber wagon. Drive it all year with TPMS light on. 45psi instead of 80

How are the new GM Chevy trucks being liked vs the older ones in the diesels or gas?

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Doesn't brother me

I never worry about a 50+ post thread that may not be following the letter of the title.
It's generally run it's course anyway and who knows, maybe something will pop up that in a round about way may help/inform/or make people laugh.

I don't believe to run with strict guidelines would help nor make this forum any better.

If an original poster didn't get the answers ask again or start a differently titled thread.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I never worry about a 50+ post thread that may not be following the letter of the title.
It's generally run it's course anyway and who knows, maybe something will pop up that in a round about way may help/inform/or make people laugh.

I don't believe to run with strict guidelines would help nor make this forum any better.

If an original poster didn't get the answers ask again or start a differently titled thread.
Very true, and the OP hasn`t given many replies to help steer the thread anyway.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I was just picturing Farmer Ron heading down to the local Ford dealer to check out these $80,000 pickups :D, quite a jump from his $20,000 inquiry :).

What's a Rapter going to be worth then?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not to completely de-rail the thread but seams its too late so here goes. Both my pickups, my company truck (6.4 F550:rolleyes:), my fourwheeler, and my lawnmower are all powered by diesel. And I wouldn't change it for anything! Only thing I own that isn't diesel powered is my '51 H and that has even got me considering a swap:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Buying a 2011 chevy with a duramax diesel. It has 71000 kms and 1650 engine hours. The hours seem a little high for those # of kms. My 2011 6L gas engine truck has 846 hrs with about 64000 kms. My gas truck kms are pretty much all highway. Should I have any concerns about the hrs?
Back to original topic. Bought the truck today. On the way home Warning light about poor quality DEF fluid came on. Bin reading other forums on this and I am concerned. Sounds like it might be a big issue with the 11 and 12s. Anyone have any info on this. Maybe there was a reason it was such a good deal. Bought it from a GM dealer.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts