The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my 9540 last harvest for the first time and have had several issues which mostly have been solved with updates and other means.

Did anyone run theirs without a chaff spreader and find a bad concentration of chaff, wheat and soybean, behind the machine. The straw spread appears to be OK with a 35' flex draper head but the concentration of what comes off the chaffers with the door on the rear of the chopper open leaves something to be desired in my opinion.

Was told the 2014 rec's in sales manual strongly suggest getting chaff spreader for soybeans.

Just wondering if anyone else has this complaint about these machines. I really like the machine, quiet, smooth, easy on fuel, simple daily maintenance, easy access to most service points, I can go on and on but just to say I really like the machine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
We are not happy with the wheat straw coming out the chopper on our new to us 2013 9540. It is mostly coming out the left side of the chopper with very little straw coming out the right side. I don't think there is any way to adjust this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to look when I get mine back from dealer, they are doing updates and warranty work but I think there is an adjustment there to deflect the straw further to the right.

Has yours had the update to the discharge shute from the rotor to the chopper? They put one in mine last fall late in bean harvest and that did improve the distribution some for me.

I did not notice an uneven distribution of the straw in our wheat last year.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
There are adjustible deflectors at the back of the rotor to help even the straw flow to the chopper.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Your machine is equipped with a MAV chopper, right? I don't ever recall seeing a MAV with an additional chaff spreader on a 9500 series machine. However I'm in wheat barley canola pea country and I have no experience with Soybeans, but isn't there enough air flow off the chaffer to blow the MOG in to the chopper? Do you run with the door that fills in between the chopper and chaffer in the up position or the down position?

As Harsh said there are adjustable deflectors at the rear of the rotor. I would have to check to tell you exactly where the adjustment is. I'm sure it tells you in the book which way to move it if there is a distribution problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I will have to look for the adjustable deflectors. I also see that you have to block the material from the chaffer when in corn from going to the chopper. I guess it would throw cobs back and damage the chaffer. I would rather that it was spread with the chopper. Do I have to get the chaff spreaders. We will run an eight row head.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I looked today, to get to the adjustable deflectors its easiest if you move your chopper back to the drop straw position. You'll have to get in the back of the machine and look at the back of the rotor. On either side of rotor there should be 2 deflectors attached to about an inch pipe with some holes drilled in it. Those are the adjustment plates that were talking about. it can be done with out moving the chopper if your skinny.

I know nothing of corn, but I did notice that there is a corn and small grain setting on the deflector door. Since I have no experience harvesting corn, I hadn't even though that the chopper may throw cobs back into the cleaning area and damage things.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes I have the MAV chopper on the machine. The door on the chopper is used as the collection point for all the material coming over the chaffer and the material will not all go to the chopper, hence the concentration of the heaviest material behind the combine. It must be in the closed position for corn to avoid throwing cob back into the chaffer etc.

I have had an after market chaff spreader installed. I see no reason why this will not give me a better spread of the material coming off the chaffers than the open panel trying to suck in all the material.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I might add is that I have the air foil chaffer on my 9540. All the other Massey rotors I have had have had the same chaffer. I am now beginning to think that with that chaffer in the machine I am not getting the amount of air required to make it work proberly. On the other machines we found a way to speed the fan up to get the extra air flow needed to make them work properly.

I am going to start this year with the adjustable pre cleaner closed to try and force more air over the chaffers and see what happens. I am still going with the chaff spreader.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven't moved the chopper to look at the deflectors on the back of the rotor. I looked in the book and all it said was the deflectors could be replaced when worn and to repace both at the same time to keep the rotor balanced. The post below said there was an update to these. I don't thinl ours were changed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About the straw deflectors for the rotor.

Yes I recall there are two of them, one on each side that can be adjusted. We had to reshape them when we installed the update to the discharge panel that goes from the rotor to the chopper. The update changed the angle of the panel and the new panel interfered with the deflector plates.

I haven't seen the cover from the chaffer to the spreader as pictured above. I did have a cover installed from an update kit to keep the chaff from building up on the rear axle that helped that situation.

·
Registered
977 Posts
On our 2012 9540 there are 2 deflectors at rear of rotor , slide your chopper back and they are at top of discharge housing . Explained in Section D page 33 in our book . On our old machine 9690 and 9695 you could adjust from outside but the newer ones you need to get inside to adjust them . We get a nice even spread when adjusted correctly .
As far as chaff spreader with Mav chopper , our machine has both and works really good at spreading residue , but it did take a bit of tweeking of the discharge fins on the chopper last fall in tough soybeans to get it spread properly .
This year in some Wheat we ran the chaff spreader while windrowing the straw which seems to have worked out real nice , in the past we could not do that and always had a lot of chaff left by the baler. We have the windrow kit and that curtain talked about earlier.

As far as corn cobs doing damage , that is a reality , even with chopper door closed or in corn position there is enough space above the door frame for cobs to get thrown up and onto chaffer , AGCO bought us a new chaffer last fall after a day of running in corn . No fix yet , as far as I know , but we made up a curtain from some conveyor belting and hung it from a cross frame to remedy it . And if planning on using the chaff spreader during corn you will want to beef up the top tin work a bit as it will crack away from the frame .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts