The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always noticed our population is correct & it counts acres correctly but the spacing is erratic. The neighbors field looks so nice & even & can almost check it from the side. While planting the last field it dawns on me the radar speed varies from 5.3 -5.8 mph & the hydraulic drive must be trying to match the speed, it varies from 138000 - 142000 plants per acre. I've checked the radar mounting & has the correct angle. Are there better radars for accuracy than the one that came with the planter which is a small 4"x4" rubber mounted one? Our last ground driven planter placed the seed perfectly & could check it from the side.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Instead of a radar, try a GPS receiver. You can buy stand along receivers, that plug in, in the place of your radar. Much more accurate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer does not want to use gps signal because is not accurate enough. Says it will not read quick enough. Just watching the gps speed does the same thing.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
GPS will work fine, better than radar in my opinion. Radar can give false readings bouncing off stalks grass or other things than the true ground. What are you planting and what are you using for a monitor? Should be able to tweak things so the monitor and the hyd drives communicate better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plant both corn & soybeans. Using a Agco GTA II monitor & would like to start mapping & variable rate planting.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Where on the planter did you mount the radar gun ?

Ours (2013-8524) was back on a cross member in under the center fill tank , it bounced a bit .
We moved ours forward , built a bracket near the front of the tongue just ahead of the frame that holds the wings up during transport .
Make it good and solid and keep the gun from pointing at any wheel tracks or the dirt flipped up from the markers if you use them .
Solved our issues like you are describing.
Our last planter an 8516 , we used the tractor radar with a Y cable to steal the signal , it also worked good.

We use GPS to control rate on our sprayer and it sure seems to do a good job on that .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts