The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the CaseIH forum only because I compared the other units to my 9230's. I tried a 2014 CR9090 Elevation, 2012 John Deere S680 and a 2014 CLAAS Lexion 760. I am not sure how to lay this all out and whether I can even remember everything that happened during a busy harvest??? Maybe I will start with some general observations about each model and then subsequently post on fuel use, grain loss, etc. Here goes:

First one was the Belgian built CR9090. I had a combine down on a weekend and no response from my dealer so I figured it would be a good time to start the demo's. Upon arrival we realized that the feeder chain had jumped a link on one side, likely from the last demo going way late at night in tough canola.:rolleyes: We ended up taking more stuff off to fix this than needed but was a good way to become familiar with the feeder house....I suppose. Once going(in wheat) it was running fairly even with the 9230 in the field, faster when pushed. This machine went all day and right to midnight in some VERY heavy wheat, straw got really tough near the end. We quit because feeder house was plugging with great regularity on the 9230 and generally straw was not breaking up as much. Feeder never plugged once on the 9090!:) Straw chop and spread was similar to my 9230 with Magna-cut but knives were left down on the 9090. Cab was very quiet and controls were laid out very well. Only real problem was that we broke the concave shear-bolt once so I got to learn how to replace that, I can think of a few ways to make that job way easier... This was the only combine that I didn't drive personally as my normal combine guy was driving due to his being broken. He liked the machine.

I had a 2012 John Deere S680 out two separate times, once in canola, once in wheat. I drove it in canola once we finished weighing rounds for awhile. Although the controls were different I could tell that they were very refined and would be easy to use once familiar with them. First thing that stood out to me was the flimsy piece of plastic on the door.:( Unload auger was fast and controls were great. Having the autosteer function on the top of the monitor was very handy for changing a line or nudging. There was a few little error codes but this machine was the only one with any amount of hours on it, I believe around 600??? Machine was a little noisier than I am used to but current models would be better. When it got dark this unit likely had the best lighting package of all the units I tried. Feeder plugged after dark in canola although not nearly as often as my 9230's. Once plugged though the machine had to idle down to begin reversing and then throttle up after, if it didn't work first try...same nonsense over again. Did not like this reverser setup. Pick-up header seemed to throw more canola seeds around FWIW. I don't like all the little beeping that comes from JD monitors.:rolleyes: Looked to be well built, only machine with a steel fuel tank if that means anything. Pro-drive was best transmission by far except for a clunky shift right above field speed, I actually spun it out and dug holes climbing a hill!!!

I had a CLAAS 760 out for a day in canola and a day in wheat. Unload auger was by far the poorest of them all, did not swing far enough ahead and was very noisy. As a whole this machine was the noisiest of all the units. Probably the largest of them all too though. It was running cruise-pilot and cemos in canola and worked great until dark when I stopped using cruise-pilot because it was likely set wrong(almost plugged a couple of times). Of all the machines this one would be the hardest to learn for operating, lack of a touchscreen didn't help. I liked the c-motion handle. I didn't find the turning radius to be that much of an issue although it was less than the others. Stone trap was awful to dump as you had to crawl under and pull stuff out, a hockey stick would solve this.;) Turbo-chop worked very well. As big as the capacity is on these units they need bigger grain tanks. Window never got any dust on it in 2 days!!! I have no idea why, never even used the wiper. I blew out the air filter after but basically no dust at all in there either. Nothing close to a feeder house plug in two days either.:)

A little bit on my 9230's as well. You likely have heard me complain of chopper issues in the past... Turns out one chopper rotor was not straight and likely was the cause for all my bearing issues since new. Other unit never lost a bearing in two seasons. CaseIH has by far the best rear access ladder of all the combines. Feeder house is often the limiting factor on these machines. The dog-tooth clutch they added to the feeder chain on the 30 series often gives out, I can't count how many reverses we did this year! Going forward I would weld that thing up to avoid it slipping ever, there still is a slip clutch on the rock trap and chain together.

More to come but I will entertain questions as well.

Reactions: SWFarmService

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel use

I didn't compare every machine in every crop and all machines were compared only to my 9230's. In other words, I didn't have more than one competitor unit running on any given day. Here is what I have:

IN WHEAT
CR9090 burned 5.8 liters/acre, DEF?
CaseIH 9230 6.5 liters/acre, DEF?

IN CANOLA
John Deere S680 7.2 liters/acre, DEF none
CaseIH 9230 5.4 liters/acre, DEF?

IN CANOLA
CLAAS 760 6.1 liters/acre, DEF?
CaseIH 9230 5.27 liters/acre, DEF?
NOTE: 760 was parked in the afternoon and ran greater percentage of acres after dark when tougher so maybe not entirely fair???

IN WHEAT
CLAAS 760 4.21 liters/acre, DEF?
CaseIH 9230 5.15 liters/acre, DEF?

In general I would say that my 9230's use about 5% DEF as compared to fuel but I did not measure during these comparisons.

I would say that the C13 on the 760 used noticeably less DEF than my IVECO's from what I put in the tank, but again, I can't say specifically.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Losses

My grain cart scribbler is out in the shop so I will only give a summary for now on losses:

In wheat the CR 9090 was very slightly more than the 9230(a couple of grams in the pan). However after doing this we realized that after all the stuff we took off to fix that feeder chain we forgot to close the bottom door on the feeder house.:eek: I have to believe some wheat was being lost out of there so likely the 9090 would have an advantage??? Never got to compare in canola as I had none ready and machine went on to other demo's. I have, however heard from several people that say the Elevation combines are amazing for loss in small grains.

The Deere we weighed rounds in canola, it lost every one, sometimes by large margins. Finally one pass was close and we called it a draw, but that particular pass for the 9230 had a runway with no crop for about 300 yards. Rounds were both ways and over 1/2 mile long so large sample size, machines both ran same speed, about 4mph as I recall. In wheat my machine got slaughtered by the Deere...by like 2-3BPA. We had just switched varieties from Harvest to Muchmore and clearly things changed, my machine was not set right! We did pan tests and took pictures and the whole 9 yards. I joked to my guys that I likely became somebody's sales pitch that day!:eek: Once they left we got things cleaned up considerably but the S680 did a good job in the wheat for sure, sample was nice too. Shows how different varieties can really act different inside a combine!

The CLAAS 760 came to me having been dialed in for canola by a CLAAS tech and it did well, clearly beat my 9230's for loss in canola. In wheat we weren't running cemos and I was driving by the monitors, could have pushed it more. On repeated half-mile rounds in good heavy wheat the 760 was running very close to my 9230's. Within margin of error but if I had to I would give the edge to the 760.

I can get more specific when I get my book back...

·
Registered
561 Posts
It doesn't surprise me you have concerns plugging your feeder house on your 9230's. I have heard others and experienced that myself. I would like to know what settings you are using. I have had feeders plug easily especially in canola but raising the feeder drum and running the feeder 600 rpm+ usually nearly eliminated the issue. In cereals were u straight cutting or picking up swaths? In wheat I find running the front drum in the lowest position reduces the back feeding significantly. Finger timing on the auger and a long feeder chain help as well.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't surprise me you have concerns plugging your feeder house on your 9230's. I have heard others and experienced that myself. I would like to know what settings you are using. I have had feeders plug easily especially in canola but raising the feeder drum and running the feeder 600 rpm+ usually nearly eliminated the issue. In cereals were u straight cutting or picking up swaths? In wheat I find running the front drum in the lowest position reduces the back feeding significantly. Finger timing on the auger and a long feeder chain help as well.
All swath here so far. Running the chain faster does help but even over 600 rpm didn't solve it entirely. Faster speeds wears chain out faster too. I'd have to check on the chain height to be sure. I suppose I dwelled on the feeder house issue when commenting on these machines but to me that is a fairly important topic right now. The CR9090 had the large rock-trap drum and both it and the 760 had by far the best feeder houses of all the machines.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
2014 9230 here... If the feeder house was a bit weak that is all I could say there... Over all it would dam near stall combine... Don't think I would touch it... I run the steinbauer

Did 100hrs with s680 and s690sin wheat and canola...Doing on average 15 to 25 percent better, with much better samples.... Over the course of the week, never seen so many plugs of returns on Deeres... Almost laughable and dealer had no recourse.... Leave the hurtts buy them, would never waist my coin on them

Ran with latest big massey 9560 in swath canola, ran very well and was close to case in capacity, but was a bit less bu in hopper every round

Overall happy with case and other than a few factory bugs, it ran great, fuel was always less than Deere for same work finished

·
Registered
561 Posts
All swath here so far. Running the chain faster does help but even over 600 rpm didn't solve it entirely. Faster speeds wears chain out faster too. I'd have to check on the chain height to be sure. I suppose I dwelled on the feeder house issue when commenting on these machines but to me that is a fairly important topic right now. The CR9090 had the large rock-trap drum and both it and the 760 had by far the best feeder houses of all the machines.
If you don't know where your feeder drum position is I'm confident you would be amazed with the improvement. I have come to terms with adjusting it when changing crops, 5 min adjusting it will save you more than that reversing...

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was particularly interested in what you thought about the 760.
I think that you will be very pleased. This is a very big combine. Had I pushed it in wheat it would have waxed my 9230's but I was going by the loss monitor so they were similar in capacity. I have heard guys say just ignore the monitor because there isn't much on the ground even when it shows high. With the limited time I had I just didn't get all the little things figured out. Cab is smaller than other machines and ladder is narrow, climbing around to the right side of the cab will require the agility of a mongoose! It seems to me that the Germans who engineer this stuff must think everybody is 25 years old and in great shape.:rolleyes: Clearly function over form. Which actually isn't all that bad because, after all, it is a combine not a luxury car. I didn't like all the shields and the constant warnings on the cebis....of course I know that the lights are on in road gear....and it's not un-authorized because I turned them on myself!!! You will get to know where the ESC button is without even looking.;) I didn't like the fact that there was two monitors in the cab already and still no autosteer installed, could be a visibility issue??? It looks well made and very solid, components appeared to be very high quality.:)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you don't know where your feeder drum position is I'm confident you would be amazed with the improvement. I have come to terms with adjusting it when changing crops, 5 min adjusting it will save you more than that reversing...
What model are you running?

·
Registered
285 Posts
SW did the 9090 have asp or dsp stone trap in it? If DSP then I will warn you and others that if you plug this shutting the feeder off is not the answer to stop it as the stone trap runs off of the separator drive:( Can imagine what belt looked like after we figured that one out! One of the issues that the engineers at CNH should look at along with the shear bolts!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Feeder house is often the limiting factor on these machines. The dog-tooth clutch they added to the feeder chain on the 30 series often gives out
I have an 2012 8120 and we had issues with the clutch as well until the local dealer installed an extension for the oil reservoir housing and since them it's working awesome.....made a big difference! I think, we plugged it since them only 2-3 times anymore:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
What model are you running?
Specifcly 9230 (more crucial on them than 8230/9120/8120 as the more power the more has to get through the feeder house). We have always played with the feeder, either trying to make it run quieter or reduce plugging. Often setting it in the mid position trying to quiet it down but still offer traction in cereals. Last year we had big crops and was experiencing feeder plugging in canola so I rased the front drum al the way up and nearly eliminated plugging then went to straight cutting wheat with the drum up and it fed fine until the lodged areas then would back feed and plug. I lowered the stops to the bottom and eliminated the plugging. This particular scenario was very tough conditions, straw rotting wet canola swaths and standing (kinda) wheat 90bu/acre some of it too tough to test.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How was fuel consumption determined?
Good question. All machines started the day with a full fuel tank and set for the proper swath width in the monitor. All comparisons were picking up a swath to eliminate the variable of a straight head. At the end of the day the units were filled up with a metered pump. Sample sizes were from 65-100+ acres per day. When I had 2 of my combines running together I averaged them. I don't trust any monitor to be accurate.;)

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.