The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide on a seeder air cart combo for the 2015 season. The jd 1870 drill has been pretty much decided but the tank decision is still up in the air. I was leaning towards another bourgault tank but pairing it with a 1910 would be a lot cheaper and likely simpler. However, the more I look into the 1910 it seems to have a lot of nice features. In my area there are virtually no 1910s, all bourgault and seedhawk so not many people to ask about their tanks.

Ok here are my questions:

Has anyone used the remote hydraulic controls for moving the loading auger and did you like them?

General consensus on accuracy and ease of use/calibration of the hydraulic drive metering system. Looks like in most prior posts people are happy with them..

And do people like their tanks overall?

Any comments or recommendations be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I bought a 2014 430bu 3 compartment tank with conveyor paired with the 56' 1870 tool. I am very happy with both. We then put on a Pattison liquid kit with 4 sectional control valves for applying N and S in liquid form and pull their CB3300 cart behind the tank. Although we only ran it as a whole unit enough to get it all working and had to drop the caddy due to excess moisture, the crop looks great. We'll see after this weekend's turmoil washes out!

We are happy with the cart, have had older mechanically driven 1910's in the past and I think this was even more accurate. Calibration is super simple. My practice is to do a soft cal in the yard and then an accuracy calibration after 10ac of seeding when everything has settled. We were within +- 1% with our seed, planting barley, spring wheat, canola and soybeans. Were going to plant oats too, but had to bail on that and broadcasted canola instead on that 1/4. Conveyor was very well balanced (one arm stowable), though it may have trouble getting under a semi trailer. Meters are easy to clean and switch out. Only wish I would have put duals on it for this spring. The 710/38's weren't quite enough. The CPU crashed after 240ac, (moisture got into a connection in the harness b/w tool and cart) but warranty fixed it up and had no trouble after that.

Cleaned and parked waiting for next year!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide on a seeder air cart combo for the 2015 season. The jd 1870 drill has been pretty much decided but the tank decision is still up in the air. I was leaning towards another bourgault tank but pairing it with a 1910 would be a lot cheaper and likely simpler. However, the more I look into the 1910 it seems to have a lot of nice features. In my area there are virtually no 1910s, all bourgault and seedhawk so not many people to ask about their tanks.

Ok here are my questions:

Has anyone used the remote hydraulic controls for moving the loading auger and did you like them?

General consensus on accuracy and ease of use/calibration of the hydraulic drive metering system. Looks like in most prior posts people are happy with them..

And do people like their tanks overall?

Any comments or recommendations be greatly appreciated!
My area is also very much Flexi/Hawk/BG zone but one guy in the area has a JD and really likes it. He went from JD to seed hawk and back to JD. I know north dakota is loaded with JD tanks so they must be decent. The BG has more features and I think it a generally better tank but that doesn't mean the JD is bad. The remote conveyor option on JD is brand new, only got released a month ago. Sectional control is now available and in the past JD has done a very good job at this. If I had a JD toolbar I would certainly consider one, just the ease of hookup & resale(having the unit all one colour). Any other toolbar and I would would probably lean BG. Hooking a BG to a JD would also require some fab work.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I have no experience with the 1910 air carts. Can you meter any tank into any airstream? Meaning, can you pair tank 1 and 3 into one air stream and have tank 2 into another?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yes, any tank into either air stream.
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that the Deere cart offers that flexibility. We've been using those antiquated Flexicoil carts for years now and I'm sick of pairing tanks that are only next to each other due to their out of date manifold design. Plus for 2015, still no sectional control on the Flexicoil....:confused:.

Seeding canola, I suppose 1910 owners are utilizing the smaller tank 2 for seed and 1 & 3 for dry fertilizer?????. Can airflow be restricted at each tank via some sort of manifold so that when seeding canola less airflow is observed at tank 2 while still maintaining adequate flow for moving heavier rates of product out of tank 1 & 3?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that the Deere cart offers that flexibility. We've been using those antiquated Flexicoil carts for years now and I'm sick of pairing tanks that are only next to each other due to their out of date manifold design. Plus for 2015, still no sectional control on the Flexicoil....:confused:.

Seeding canola, I suppose 1910 owners are utilizing the smaller tank 2 for seed and 1 & 3 for dry fertilizer?????. Can airflow be restricted at each tank via some sort of manifold so that when seeding canola less airflow is observed at tank 2 while still maintaining adequate flow for moving heavier rates of product out of tank 1 & 3?
Yes. There is a baffle that varies the amount directed into each stream. If needed I suppose a small valve could be placed in the small tank's pressurization line if it was required to reduce in tank pressure. I found the baffle adjustment was adequate.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I bought a 2014 430bu 3 compartment tank with conveyor paired with the 56' 1870 tool. I am very happy with both. We then put on a Pattison liquid kit with 4 sectional control valves for applying N and S in liquid form and pull their CB3300 cart behind the tank. Although we only ran it as a whole unit enough to get it all working and had to drop the caddy due to excess moisture, the crop looks great. We'll see after this weekend's turmoil washes out!

We are happy with the cart, have had older mechanically driven 1910's in the past and I think this was even more accurate. Calibration is super simple. My practice is to do a soft cal in the yard and then an accuracy calibration after 10ac of seeding when everything has settled. We were within +- 1% with our seed, planting barley, spring wheat, canola and soybeans. Were going to plant oats too, but had to bail on that and broadcasted canola instead on that 1/4. Conveyor was very well balanced (one arm stowable), though it may have trouble getting under a semi trailer. Meters are easy to clean and switch out. Only wish I would have put duals on it for this spring. The 710/38's weren't quite enough. The CPU crashed after 240ac, (moisture got into a connection in the harness b/w tool and cart) but warranty fixed it up and had no trouble after that.

Cleaned and parked waiting for next year!
I agree with these comments. Have a 2014 430 tow between and was very happy with it. Had a few small issues, but nothing of any significance. Conveyor worked very well, and hyd meters were accurate. We put on the 20.8x42 duals, and they floated on top of the ground as good as the tractor. Cart is wired for the sectional control, so can put that on when it is available.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Sure would be nice to see a 550+ bu tow between cart. Not sure why they engineered the 550 cart into tbh only. They dropped the ball on that one in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
From what I here the 1665 Valmar uses 1.25" lines up to the towers. They have clamp on brackets that go on the up pipe, supposedly in the proper place for accurate distribution. I believe the tank uses it's own fan and can be run either off the Deere mechanical drive or with a hydraulic drive. I may not have all the facts right, just going off what I have been told.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ben Heide why the conveyor instead of the 10" auger?
Not sure why Ben put it on his cart, put we got the conveyor to be gentle on peas and so that it cleans out completely. Unfortunately the hopper design is poor, so to get it to clean out I took the screens off the hopper so I could wipe it out with my hand. I believe the capacity specs on it are comparable to the 10" auger as well so speed is not an issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.