The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With spring not far away we are all looking at the crystal ball trying to see what will make us all rich and no so famous. At the crop show in Saskatoon one canola seed company told me their sales are down 30%, and the others were not far behind. At today's prices there isn't much excitement to grow a lot. There so much going against canola, big US supplies, and a large SA bean crop looming. Prices are going to have to rise to buy acres but so far that is not happening. What are others thinking where acres are going to be?

·
Registered
880 Posts
ok so what is gaining ground then? sales of canola seed down 30% hard to believe but price reduction by 30% would be realistic in this situation. Too bad they make us sign up for our acres when the combine is still harvesting.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How about yellow peas? You could book them $7.40 off the combine next fall, canola was $9.20 off the combine the same day. My pencil says peas is paying better on a average year and that's before the benefit to the next years crop. I am too far north for durum or beans and probably to wet for lentils? Maybe flax?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Don't think canola acres will go down much in the parkland regions where canola is the bread and butter. The south has the conditions to grown the lentils, durum, and even chickpeas. Its a little to north here to produce those crops consistently so we are stuck with canola.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.