The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have 4 S690's in the field and I am combining at this moment. I combined with the 2015 model last night and it is taking the crop through the combine much easier. I combined almost 8000acres with a S690 and was really surprised to see what the new feeder chain, feed accelarator? ACI system on concave and discharge beater can do!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I see the most important bottle neck on the s690 was not looked at.... THey need a total revamp of their rethrasher Design...In tought crop conditions combine capacity is limited to rethrasher volume

They also could see help in hard thrashing small grains... Three percent Unthrashed is not acceptable for today's combines

My two cents

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Didnt Massey Ferguson do the same thing with thier concave by using spring loaded dampeners?
So john Deere did something with hydrolic accumulators. No wonder it weighs so much...

I m sure they realized the only way you can get the sts to thresh is by overloading it to the point of breaking...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Didnt Massey Ferguson do the same thing with thier concave by using spring loaded dampeners?
So john Deere did something with hydrolic accumulators. No wonder it weighs so much...

I m sure they realized the only way you can get the sts to thresh is by overloading it to the point of breaking...
LEXION combines have been using a very reliable hydraulically adjusted concave with overload protection since being introduced in '97. It's standard on all models.

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
LEXION combines have been using a very reliable hydraulically adjusted concave with overload protection since being introduced in '97. It's standard on all models.
True, but the focus of this setup is not overload protection but to isolate the rumbling and vibration of the obvious erratic feeding axial machines endure.
I've watch my concave meter, it takes a good wad to move the concave 2 mm, 1 mm is even rare.

The Deere setup is a different intention with the amount of rock and roll shown in the above vid.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a small grains combine.
Like Don said that combine dont have rumbling in the concaves. Nothing. We have Sunnybrook concaves in 3 combines and one dony have and those 3 is also better but not by far like the 2015.
The rethresher is not a problem for us. The wheat we grow is not bad for that.
Setup of your combine is always important and people should take more care to set them combines up properly. That is what is neat on the 2015 model. The computer/monitor has a option that you through steps to help you setting up the combine when you have difficulty etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A farmer nearby had the 2015 demo yesterday. He has 3 S690's and did more testing than us. Find out he can run 0.5 -0.6 mph faster with same losses. We will hear from another farmer who will test it i good oats Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
How can anyone use the hp of a S690 in small grains? Our S680 with throw it out the back long before it hits max hp. In canola, wheat, oats, barley, peas & soybeans a S690 is pointless. We did pan tests last year and with 40ft dry wheat at 3.5mph losses were 0.3bpa, at 4mph losses were 1.2bpa.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
What?!?!? :D Oh man, this year in the Dakotas you could bring a S680 to it's knees at any given time with lack of power in the green straw, hills, unloading on the go and high yields with a 40 foot head. Throw in some mud and yup....S690 would easily have been utilized. We powered out our 8230 all the time. I had daily averages with my S670 at 96% engine load.....all sorts of conditions where you are limited by horsepower, not loss.
You didn't state what your losses were. I can power out my 680s all day and then I can also seed the field for next year.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can tell you in our area of Saskatchewan it is easy to run out of power on any combine!! Had demos of Case IH and NH before and on our heavy 40ft oats and wheat swaths and hills and sometimes soft ground you need all of 600+ hp.
We have Sunnybrook concaves in 3 combines and they save some hp and get the tough stuff easier through.
Wonder if Sunnybrooks will be needed at all in the 2015 model? Don't think so.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
How can anyone use the hp of a S690 in small grains? Our S680 with throw it out the back long before it hits max hp. In canola, wheat, oats, barley, peas & soybeans a S690 is pointless. We did pan tests last year and with 40ft dry wheat at 3.5mph losses were 0.3bpa, at 4mph losses were 1.2bpa.
After owning a 680 for 3 seasons I concur with this statement. However, in our conditions there's usually an hour or so everyday where losses are low in standing wheat but we are hp limited with our 680 and a 35' cut. In canola I see no advantage offered by a 690 as losses occur well before we run out of hp. I spend at least an hour or so everyday monitoring losses throughout the day just to get the most efficency out of our unit since we are maxed out using one machine for our harvest. Still not enough of a difference to justify running a 690. Your mileage may vary though.....

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.