The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone's thoughts on lentils in 15? After the destruction in a lot of places wondering if growers had their fill? Root rot has gotten bad and excessive moisture going into spring will not bode well for this crop. But, high prices will get the attention of many regardless of environmental factors. I took the yr off growing lentils and didn't miss them. Not sure at this point what if i will grow any in 15.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If lentils and durum are the shining stars in the price world, then expect huge acres and overproduction unless there is a weather/disease event here that curbs that. Places that shouldn't grow these crops will. They might hit a home run on yields/quality if everything goes right or they will be left cursing the crop and vow to never grow it again, only to grow it again when prices are high. Feb-Apr prices for both old/new crop will have biggest influence on lentil acres. Pea prices should be decent so that might help a little. Quality lentil seed availability, especially greens might be an issue. Soggy soils across western Canada often lead to a poor start on lentils, especially with all the Aphanomyces showing up now but I still think if lentils come in over $.22/lb on new crop pricing, expect a lot to go in the ground. If this is the case, and I think it will be, it will be a "put it in the bin and lock the door" plan on both lentils and durum. Best thing going is that stocks on these crops should be non existent, but there will still be a marketing hangover after harvest if all goes well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
have a hard time seeing many guys sign up new crop unless its north of two bits on lentils in 2015 after the way they were burnt this past fall. .18 cent ddc contracts and price ran to .30 , guys getting bent over in areas that didnt produce big yields. huge replacement costs on those contracts. If guys sign everything will have an Act of God

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
A fair chunk of the lentil growing area in Australia took a massive hit with drought, alot never harvested any...will be I the resting to see how many have angonat them in 2015 and who can afford to, I'd say the safe haven of wheat barley and canola, even faba beans may be more popular? Time will tell I guess?

Ant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.