The Combine Forum banner

401 - 419 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quill lake. 2 hours east of saskatoon. Ground was cracking between rows already. 2 years in a row for that now. 10 miles away guys were up to 5-6 inches already since seeding. I guess I live in the driest 2 square miles in the area

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any one by the Manitoba USA border get hit with rain last night. Was looking at the raider at 5am this morning it didn’t look good. Got hit with a another 3” last night here. South of winnipeg
We are west from Winnipeg. We got 7 inches since last Tuesday. Last night we got hit with hail on 300ac canola.....well maybe next year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
with the heat probably using around 5mm a day especialy on corn and beans. got more moisture in last 5 days than the last 2 years combined. from the rrv so not afraid of a little mud.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
How are guys making out? Sounds like you guys out west are having new issues? Here in Manitoba it sounds like a little of everything. We haven't been getting much at all, just enough to keep things going. Crops look surprisingly good considering how dry it has been and so hot the last while. Wish we could get a good inch to help things fill out, would be enough to finish things up nicely I think. Some barley is close to laying down so hopefully will have good weight to it, so a little worried about getting a heavy rain. Heard there are storm chasers in Brandon today, that's not a good sign!!! Hear there is a chance of some wild weather for Alberta and Saskatchewan , hope nothing too crazy happens, well unless you have poor crops and are wanting hail!! Notice some of the lighter land in my area is burning up or already burnt.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How are guys making out?.... Hear there is a chance of some wild weather for Alberta and Saskatchewan , hope nothing too crazy happens, well unless you have poor crops and are wanting hail!!
Well I don't know what the crops around Macklin were like but after today it doesn't matter to the farmer where these pics were taken. (Not mine - these were sent to me) 20190730_222412.jpg

20190730_222457.jpg

·
Registered
637 Posts
2 months ago it was dry here then the rains came, it's looking pretty good. Sat. a big hail storm went through the area,it went west about 20 miles. Today golf ball size hail went through, luckily I've missed both storms.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My friend at Stettler said they got the golf ball sized hail today, destroyed siding on houses, dents on his truck look big, not good. Crops here in Red Deer look as good as I’ve ever seen. Literally had rain ever few days the whole growing season, not sure I’ve seen that before. Just need that ugly crap to stay away. I feel for those people who got hit, never good to see. ☹

·
Super Moderator
3,051 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How are conditions where you’re at Don? I imagine there’s going to be good crops in most areas of the prairies, minus a few.

My friend said that storm came out of nowhere. He heard a bang outside, thought that was odd, looked on the deck and saw the golf ball sized hail, which then lasted about a minute before the hail became smaller in size. He texted me right after to see if our crops were okay. We didn’t get anything.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I know the drought is over for most of you on here, but is still going on around here. I was thinking the other day we might have had 5 inches since the snow melt, but got talking it over with dad yesterday and we came up with a number around maybe 4 inches. For whatever reason though, the crops look decent. Have just opened up some barley and it looks to have filled and should yield decent and looks to have some weight, will know better in a week or so. Canola seems to have filled to the top, won't be like last years crop by any means, but ok. Dug out a soft spot in front of the bins last week and there was moisture down there, surprised at the ground moisture. Have a few pics of The Little Saskatchewan River, not a ricer any more, almost zero water flow, the only water going down stream from the dam is what is leaking through the dam. Normally it gets lower this time of year, but where the rocks are in these pics would be mostly under water and would be a good 6-8 inches of water going over the top of the spillway. No oldtimers have ever seen the river stop like this before. I imagine most of the fish have died that were in the river, the lake has so much algae they don't advise going in it, some peoples pets have gotten sick from it and one person had to put her dog down because of it.

Sorry, will have to put the pics up later, you know, great internet service.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Be careful, last year i had a beautiful wheat crop for seed, pounded the nutrients on it. when i swathed it it was amazing to see the swather choke on the heads. the day after rained for a month, 2% sprout, considered feed. Was so dry before i swathed it, i was worried it didn't fill completely. Don't let the dry cloud your better judgement. lol

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Here's one. Internet.... sooooooo....... slowwwwwwww.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yup it ain't pretty. ~1/2 inch in June. We got 4-6 inches in the first 3 weeks of July depending on which way the clouds went. There was a freak thundercloud that went right over the majority of our prime bean ground gave it an extra two inches but we haven't had more than a misting in 3 weeks now. Gonna be long term averages at best, guess that's why they're called that.

Unless we get fall 2008 again I don't think we will be needing the tow cables this year.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yup it ain't pretty. ~1/2 inch in June. We got 4-6 inches in the first 3 weeks of July depending on which way the clouds went. There was a freak thundercloud that went right over the majority of our prime bean ground gave it an extra two inches but we haven't had more than a misting in 3 weeks now. Gonna be long term averages at best, guess that's why they're called that.

Unless we get fall 2008 again I don't think we will be needing the tow cables this year.

We were close to the same. June 25th we got 1 3/4, then 5.5 inches in July, followed by nothing until August 10th when we got almost 3 inches up till Monday.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
When it rains, it pours! Almost doubled our total rain for the year today. Maybe 4 inches since the snow melted, got 3.5 inches in the last 24 hours, and 2.5 inches of that was in about 45 minutes after supper. Lots of wind and coming down hard, I figured the oats and canola would be flat as a pancake, but surprisingly all still standing nice and straight! Dodged a bullet there. Still have some barley in the swath and was hoping to get it off before it got rained on, but am actually a little relieved to finally get some rain, nothing for about 5 weeks, made me a little nervous about fires. Tried to work a fire guard around the yard, made 3 passes and can't even tell I tried. Now hopefully it knows enough to stop!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
When it rains, it pours! Almost doubled our total rain for the year today. Maybe 4 inches since the snow melted, got 3.5 inches in the last 24 hours, and 2.5 inches of that was in about 45 minutes after supper. Lots of wind and coming down hard, I figured the oats and canola would be flat as a pancake, but surprisingly all still standing nice and straight! Dodged a bullet there. Still have some barley in the swath and was hoping to get it off before it got rained on, but am actually a little relieved to finally get some rain, nothing for about 5 weeks, made me a little nervous about fires. Tried to work a fire guard around the yard, made 3 passes and can't even tell I tried. Now hopefully it knows enough to stop!
Ouch never good when I have had more moisture then you

401 - 419 of 419 Posts