The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this head work on a 2388, i've thought about a harvestmore header and also using a 600 deere head but I have a lead on a brand new NH head that has set on a dealers lot for a couple years and has a very attractive price! This is the same as a 2020 cih head with an adapter, and just wondering if they can be as good of head as the others?

I'm satisfied with the 1020 at lower speeds but anything over 4.0 and it starts to push the beans, and yes my guards and sickle are fine. I've seen the neighbors running 7 with the 635 and they dont push over the beans. I've also talked to John Young (harvestmore) and his head will cut at high speeds too. The 8010's and some 2388's running flex drapers also run between 5 and 7 mph.

I'm wondering if the 2020 will cut at these speeds as our beans are normally short and dry and will it feed properly into the smaller feederhouse of the 2388? Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wondering if you or any one else on here runs high speed pulley on knife drive? I always did on 25' but did not try it on our 30' thought it might be alittle hard on it to drive 30' at high speed? got a new 30' 1020 with Carary air reel coming and have high speed pulley and belt in shed won't need it for wheat might install for beans though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your in the market for a new header get a Mac Don. 973 if your ground is fairly flat or 974 for rolling ground. You won't be disappointed. We had a 1020 before we traded for a 973 5 yrs ago and that 1020 we couldn't get close enough. Or it would get all ropey when the dew was coming on. The 2020 can cut a little closer than the 1020 from what I understand but still nowhere what the Mac Don will do. Plus the draper makes your 2388 probably 10% to 15% better machine in beans or wheat just in how it feeds. We now have a 974 on an 8010 and love how it follows the ground. I think I could still get by with a 973 on the 8010 because we are pretty flat but the 974 was all they had used at the time.

If the header has been sitting on the dealers lot for a couple of years it is because nobody else wants it. Meaning it probably won't do what you want it to do or there is another header that does a better job! You'll save more beans with a Mac Don than with a 1020 or 2020. I gaurntee it. The only issue with the Mac Dons that I have is reverser issue. However that is a small price for what you gain IMO. I know I didn't really answer your question.

·
Registered
109 Posts
bobeagle
Were you able to compare 1020 or 2020 with "air reel"to the draper? we have been able to go all nite in heavy dew and even fog sometimes. I've seen that the draper can cut lower but we run over so much gravel land that the down time would kill me mentally. lol. right now we are able to trade ever 2 years for reasonable. any ideals running cost of the macdon per acre? (just repairs) I would have to demo before I would purchase!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Parsky-

Yeah back in 03 when we were trying the 2388 out that we were going to buy the dealership brought it out with a 1020 and Crary air reel. Don't get me wrong the air reel does help allot to keep the beans off the cutter bar, however it still doesn't feed as smooth as a draper does which in turn you get that rumbling noise in the combine. You don't hear that rumble with a draper on the front. I would say on average you are probably 1/2 to 3/4 mph faster with the draper than an auger header and it is easier on your combine. As far as running your header on gravel I hear what your saying, but if you get a Mac Don with the cylinder in between the attachment and the header you can tilt the guards back and have it cut more like how the 1020 or 2020 cut. I don't have any costs per acre for you because other than changing guards and sections I haven't had to put any money into them. Those drapers will run for a long time. Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts