The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Oddly enough, I heard from someone I know who does contract R&D for Case and has a lot of close contacts in the company, that for quite a number of years, even the insiders at Case joked that John Deere was their R&D department. Case was pretty conservative risk adverse for years when it came to trying new things. Case did develop the QuadTrack, but that was quite a long time ago now. Over the years they tended to let others lead the way first, with things like GPS technology, remote data collection, combine automation, etc. And even now after they built their two autonomous demonstrator tractors a couple of years ago, they've done nothing with it since, nor explored where automous machines might fit in their customers' farms.

Even the automatic turn feature that was developed a few years ago just sat until recently when they decided to have their dealers push it to customers. My cousins wrote the code for that which is how I know; they had hoped it would get more use so they could have feedback on improving it. But Case sat on it like they do with so many things.

While other companies are bringing the GPS techologies in-house, Case continued to use Trimble, which is just fine, but now they're starting to bring it in and do it internally with better integration (is that good or bad?) in the next generation system they are rolling out in the next year or two.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Case copied the quad track idear from Caterpillar loader prototype with 4 tracks, had a photo somewhere don't think it went into production.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Near as I can tell, the first articulated 4wd tractor was made by a little company called Wagner in the 50s. Then sometime around then the Steiger family farm built their first tractor. And a little while after that John Deere got Wagner to make them a tractor which they called the 8010 (and later 8020). Deere's good at that sort of innovation. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Case an john deere both making changes for 2021 case dealer told me that magnums will reach 500 horsepower an steiger will go to 700 so I'm sure deere will follow soon

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Well I wouldn’t count on Deere following that quickly, they were slow to introduce a class 9 combine and 600hp tractor. The intro of the 8RX makes me thing an updated 9 series would be in the future.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Well I wouldn’t count on Deere following that quickly, they were slow to introduce a class 9 combine and 600hp tractor. The intro of the 8RX makes me thing an updated 9 series would be in the future.
Your running a 9RX correct ? Any changes you would like to see ? My complaints are can’t see the hitch, hood is to heavy to open, cab fan is to loud above my head like other Deere equipment. As far as the actual tractor, we are quit happy with them. Maybe put the battery disconnect back for the Cummins engine,

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Your running a 9RX correct ? Any changes you would like to see ? My complaints are can’t see the hitch, hood is to heavy to open, cab fan is to loud above my head like other Deere equipment. As far as the actual tractor, we are quit happy with them. Maybe put the battery disconnect back for the Cummins engine,
Running a 9r, had 1 of the 2 came with factory battery disconnect. Agree with everything else you said. Biggest would be to see hitch pin. Would like a variable speed drive but don’t think that’s coming for awhile.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Other thing I thought of, we have a cleanfix variable speed engine fan coming. It auto reverses to keep rad clean. That should be factory standard.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
I’m still running a Case 620, the next one will be Deere, I have spent a small amount of time in Deere, only things I would really complain about is the precarious climb to the fuel tank, I wish they would remove that upholstery bludge on the right hand side so you have foot room when you swivel, and more ballasting options.

Reactions: bjtjjl

·
Registered
273 Posts
Near as I can tell, the first articulated 4wd tractor was made by a little company called Wagner in the 50s. Then sometime around then the Steiger family farm built their first tractor. And a little while after that John Deere got Wagner to make them a tractor which they called the 8010 (and later 8020). Deere's good at that sort of innovation. :)
Deere released the 8010, but there were a lot of problems, so they recalled them all and updated them to 8020 specs. The 8020 was a tough sell too and not without problems. Deere then teamed up with Wagner to release their tractor in green badged as the John Deere WA. The story of the WA is in the most recent Two Cylinder Club magazine.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Say what you want about Deere but if you look at some of their newer products like the 8RX and they are leading the way, easily the nicest and most comfortable equipment to run.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That upholstery bulge is smaller on the new 8r cabs.I always sit with the seat swiveled sideways all the way, and because there is no leg room because of the bulge the one side of my back and neck hurt like heck at the end of the day.New cabs have more leg room.As for seeing the hitch we have a camera mounted beside the ISBOUS connector on the back and have it set up to come on the 4600 when tractor is put into revers, you can line up the two holes in the drawbar better than you possibly could if you saw it through the rear window.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts