The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know if the new jd will share something with the Liebherr, but at moment JD declare more power and the production plat in waterloo.
We have to wait for specs and dimensions to understand more.

About the application they don't have product in their tractor portfolio that can be served by this engine.
The new 13,6 with 685 hp will cover perfectly a new 9R series as long as they don't want to make a bigger model.
I don’t know exactly but JD and Liebherr have a sort of joint venture in engine developing and Liebherr have a 18 liter 6 cil engine so my guess it's going to be this engine:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure if the 9R updates will be ready for 2021. We saw prototypes of the new 8R's popping up well over a year before they announced them and they still aren't fully released yet. Plus, the recent economy is pushing back more than a bit.

At any rate, I follow patent applications and grants often and a lot of the designs I've seen point toward a combination of diesel-electric drive. I've also seen a combination with a commodity cart with electric driven axles similar to the Joskin liquid hauler and 8R.

Given that the upcoming 18.0L isn't due until 2022, I have my doubts to whether it will be used as of yet. I believe the target purpose of this engine is the Wirtgen line moreso than tractors.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wonder why deere always wants to make big HP with small displacement. Put the 18L in at 700 HP and have something that lasts, unlike the piece of garbage 13.5 they currently put in their machines.
I agree with this but it seems to be what they are all doing!

·
Registered
517 Posts
camera mounted beside the ISBOUS connector on the back and have it set up to come on the 4600
s6704940, is it possible to hook a camera inside the jd 1910 tanks or also in the back of the cart to view the NH3 tank thru the 4640. It would be great to get rid of extra monitors on the right side window of the 9r tractors. Is there a place on the back of the 4640 you plugged the camera wires into? I noticed a place in applications where it showed a camera icon. I wondered how many cameras can be displayed at once.
My only complaint of the 9r is the cab fan. why oh why john deere, my old 9530 was so quit with the fan behind the seat. is there any remedy to this besides ear protection arrrh.............. Strange when you have a heated seat with a vibrator on it and top notch cab layout that something as simple as a fan can ruin the whole experience.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
How do you stop the tractor with the shuttle shifter springing back to the center position? My neighbor has a New Holland with this style of shuttle shifter and he hates it. I can't remember how the you call for neutral. Maybe you pull it towards you or soemthing. His mom was running it one day and nearly had an accident when she couldn't get it back into neutral in the heat of the moment because she was used to the kind that have a tactile detent and a clear neutral position. I'm sure you get used to it, but I prefer the mechanical slot and detent (even though it's all electric anyway).

Chrysler flirted with this sort of thing for the shifter on their SUVs. People hated it and at least one person was killed because of it so they've gone back to normal PRND system with detents. Wish tractors would go back too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Both Deere and Cae should have 18L and 16L engines in their largest tracked machines. They should be ~750-800 hp. Fact of the matter is the transmissions and final drives to handle the hp/torque would be have to be much heavier. The tractors would have to be transported in 2 pieces or on specialized trailers. I'm not sure how they will proceed.

Perfect opportunity for Big Bud to make a resurgence...

Just ask Reimer Tuning what happens to 620 quads tuned to 750 pto hp.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
I can only guess what would happen to the PTO when it’s supposed to be kept derated when engaged to 473 HP. They probably shouldn’t have done that.

I’m not sure about the rest of the power train on any of these modified tractors with power shifts. I think they need to go back to some old school mechanical reasoning and stop depending on computer code alone to save the day. These transmissions are still just crash boxes that induce magnified torque spikes into the final drive system, and I think that’s what hurts most of them in the end, the power doesn’t usually prematurely wear things out, the bearings especially get work hardened and chip from the shifting. The Bowflex couplers to the flywheel are good at preventing sympathetic vibrations between the engine and the transmission but damper couplers are not torque fuses.

I always wondered why the larger old Allis Chalmers tractors always launched and power shifted so nice. It turns out they have a torque fuse bolted to the flywheel. It’s a simple single disc dry clutch with coil springs, but it has no actuator pedal of any sort, just the magic amount of spring pressure to prevent power train torque spikes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I can only guess what would happen to the PTO when it’s supposed to be kept derated when engaged to 473 HP. They probably shouldn’t have done that.

I’m not sure about the rest of the power train on any of these modified tractors with power shifts. I think they need to go back to some old school mechanical reasoning and stop depending on computer code alone to save the day. These transmissions are still just crash boxes that induce magnified torque spikes into the final drive system, and I think that’s what hurts most of them in the end, the power doesn’t usually prematurely wear things out, the bearings especially get work hardened and chip from the shifting. The Bowflex couplers to the flywheel are good at preventing sympathetic vibrations between the engine and the transmission but damper couplers are not torque fuses.

I always wondered why the larger old Allis Chalmers tractors always launched and power shifted so nice. It turns out they have a torque fuse bolted to the flywheel. It’s a simple single disc dry clutch with coil springs, but it has no actuator pedal of any sort, just the magic amount of spring pressure to prevent power train torque spikes.
Older Case non articulated 4WD had the same system which can and did fail. When I was a kid I got a job on a road gang driving a Case with 3spd powershift pulling a grid roller. Foreman said it wont compact much at slow speed so give it hell. so I did......Up and back for weeks caning it to get above 15kmh. I started feeling the shifts not being quite as crisp and mentioned that to the foreman, keep going he said. After another day it could barely move with the engine reving up but the transmission slipping. Turned out there was a clutch coupler on the flywheel that had fried.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Both Deere and Cae should have 18L and 16L engines in their largest tracked machines. They should be ~750-800 hp. Fact of the matter is the transmissions and final drives to handle the hp/torque would be have to be much heavier.
I think once you'll get to 750-800 hp, traditional transmissions will not be used (power shift or CVT).
At that size Electric drive makes more sense : diesel engine only running a generator, everything is driven by electric motor(s)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Take the 950 hp Big Bud to NTTL and see if its Efficiency is Adequate or is its Traditional engine/drivetrain layout just throwing Good Corn out the back like these Million dollar Combines do.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Take the 950 hp Big Bud to NTTL and see if its Efficiency is Adequate or is its Traditional engine/drivetrain layout just throwing Good Corn out the back like these Million dollar Combines do.
While it may be efficient its not nessarily convenient or easy to use. Without a powershift or CVT you are marrooned in one gear while working so in hilly country or whatever reason you cant change ratio without stopping and going through all the palaver of lifting out, reversing or circling etc. An electric drive on the other hand will have maximum torque at startup so I can see it being of benifit.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The 950 doesn't have a Powershift? Definitely agree on Cumbersome especially with 1100 LSW's duals for most farm applications. Was the 525 Big Bud, Steiger Tiger 525 & possibly the 1156 Versy the Pinnacle of Efficiency in size and weight for the Majority of Ag Operations.

Cost on Diesel Powered Electric Drive Setup? What Downfall or Tradeoff besides cost? Not against this since its employed in Mining equipment etc. Articulation maybe has reached the the Law of Diminishing Returns because of tires or Drivetrain limitations, etc.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts