The Combine Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Far as I know it has a Twin Disc 2610 9 speed modified I Assume. It may be antiquated for some folks definitions of powershift, but that was the company's step into higher horsepower (beyond 550 or 600hp) efficiency in the Series 3 Tractors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think once you'll get to 750-800 hp, traditional transmissions will not be used (power shift or CVT).
At that size Electric drive makes more sense : diesel engine only running a generator, everything is driven by electric motor(s)
Deere will likely have electric drive, or some variation of it, in tractors as low as 300-400 hp. Their upcoming eAutopower will likely be the first step in this direction. Currently, Deere doesn't offer an IVT at or above 400 horsepower. The likely answer to a high hp IVT-like option would be the eAutopower.

Deere does have designs, specifically towards articulated tractors that utilize electric drive. The eAutopower, at least the version advertised for the 8R, is also capable of about 135 horsepower to an implement. They displayed this with a Joskin manure tanker with an electric drive axle. They also have a design that incorporates this concept on a commodity cart.

Where high power issues are causing problems currently is more in track design than within a traditional powertrain. At the heaviest pulling loads, tracks and track units are experiencing a variety of issues.Track tension and lug shear are just the start of it. There is also downforce and uplift on the track unit created by torque generated at the drive wheels. Deere is looking into multiple track drive wheel options and torque compensating systems to counter these phenomenons.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would guess if some one wanted to there is probably a Powershift out there that could take the load. Many buds ran truck transmissions anyway so possibly and automated 18 spd. I would guess as tractors become more fickle and more expensive to repair more people will look at simpler tractors closer. Much they same reason boxcar magnums and Deere 50 and 55 series row crops hold their value

·
Registered
227 Posts
Deere will likely have electric drive, or some variation of it, in tractors as low as 300-400 hp. Their upcoming eAutopower will likely be the first step in this direction. Currently, Deere doesn't offer an IVT at or above 400 horsepower. The likely answer to a high hp IVT-like option would be the eAutopower.
Our factory started production of 360 hp E-drive. We expect to have initial demonstrators in USA/Canada in near future. See 360 hp Electric Drive Tractor Presentation

61 - 66 of 66 Posts