The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For **** sakes when you put your claim in do you care if your 20bu short at $10 a bushel or 20bu short at $20. Point being it looks like we’re going to be at the highest coverage level ever by a long shot.
That said I’ll be really surprised if they carry on as is.
I’m not worried about being short bushels. I’m worried about paying the highest prices every for every single input and piece of iron on farm and prices don’t hold. And yes you can forward sell but how well did that work for everyone in 2021?

Growing 40bu Canola in 2022 and selling at 12bucks is digging a hole even if crop insurance says your covered for 38bu at 20 bucks a bushel.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If your not worried about getting your 40bu forward contract!
All kinds of tools to deal with marketing at a profit.
It’s that crack ***** Mother Nature I’m at the mercy of as far as I’m concerned

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If your worried about grain prices falling way back, revenue insurance will be the one to have next year, not yield insurance.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Wonder if GARS will even be around next year! 😂
Agristability only real trigger is a ramp in expenses along with the bottom falling out of the markets. As long as you have a healthy margin the potential payout can be significant vs the tiny premium.

·
Registered
25 Posts
GARS will be around next year. They signed on to administer that heat blast insurance that is being included with Nexera canola for next year

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Anybody ever been paid from them? Have not heard anything good about them

·
Registered
768 Posts
I’m worried about paying the highest prices every for every single input and piece of iron on farm and prices don’t hold. And yes you can forward sell but how well did that work for everyone in 2021?
This statement sounds like you dont have a plan. One thing I have learned over 25 years of farming on my own is one year does not reflect the next year and the best way to stay profitable is to contract at a profit. I guess it depends on your debt load and soil moisture heading into next year , but worrying does not make a situation better or worse. Bankers dont care how much you worry.
Next year looks like a great potential for myself and I am not about to stop forward pricing oats at 6 bucks or canola at 17 bucks next fall just because I had to buy out the odd contract this year. True, the last 2 years pricing out at harvest has worked well but hoping for that result again is not a plan.
This year has provided us the best 2022 new crop prices I could ever imagine and it would be a fool not to grab some this winter. I cant believe guys dont get the concept of crop insurance:rolleyes:!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I’ve been paid by gars a couple times. Worked exactly how it was suppose to.
I sure want to see how GARS deals with all these contract buyouts and these new input dollar amounts. And exactly what they tell everyone there flax, wheat and Canola is worth in there bins. Inventory sheets could wipeout or be like winning a lottery depending how they spin things.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I’m starting a pool board to see how high durum acres will be next year. One square for $25 or three for $70. Sell a bu of durum pay for your square. 😂😂
Durum isn’t there yet ... it’s only a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
You are insured for yields not dollars. The dollar figure comes from your insured yields times there so called price and the grade spreads they dream up after each harvest if applicable.
Assuming this is alberta insurance? The fall numbers are not dreamt up. You can go on the Alberta Wheat Commissions website, and STATpub for pulses, and they list the daily price. The AFSC fall price will be the average of those daily prices over this month, October. They can only go up a max of 50% from the spring price however, a price that is dreamt up as it is purely a projection. Every crop that I personally grow is almost certainly going up the full 50% at this point.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
The payout this year has to be absolutely massive.
Not so sure. They only pay on revenue and even with low yields this year revenue is up because of high prices. Bet GARS came out pretty good. I know a few guys that looked at it prior to this year and wouldn’t have gotten paid much more than their premium back despite 16bu durum.

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Anyone know (for sure) how the variable price benefit is calculated in Alberta?
Because how I understand it, every marketing day in October is averaged and that becomes the new price level, up to 50% over the sign up spring price.
And what markets are tracked especially for crops like peas, lentils or flax?
Any crop for that matter?

Because my 35,000‘ view suggests all crops must be up the 50%.

Assuming this is alberta insurance? The fall numbers are not dreamt up. You can go on the Alberta Wheat Commissions website, and STATpub for pulses, and they list the daily price. The AFSC fall price will be the average of those daily prices over this month, October. They can only go up a max of 50% from the spring price however, a price that is dreamt up as it is purely a projection. Every crop that I personally grow is almost certainly going up the full 50% at this point.
Oh, should have read that first, thank you.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This statement sounds like you dont have a plan. One thing I have learned over 25 years of farming on my own is one year does not reflect the next year and the best way to stay profitable is to contract at a profit. I guess it depends on your debt load and soil moisture heading into next year , but worrying does not make a situation better or worse. Bankers dont care how much you worry.
Next year looks like a great potential for myself and I am not about to stop forward pricing oats at 6 bucks or canola at 17 bucks next fall just because I had to buy out the odd contract this year. True, the last 2 years pricing out at harvest has worked well but hoping for that result again is not a plan.
This year has provided us the best 2022 new crop prices I could ever imagine and it would be a fool not to grab some this winter. I cant believe guys dont get the concept of crop insurance:rolleyes:!
Tough to have a plan when you don’t have the bushels in the bin.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts