The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
$650 expenses. 45 x $18= $810. 25% margin and you can get crop insurance to cover most of the downside. Could be worse.
Let’s see. 10bu x 18. Sign me up!!!

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Merimat2 BASF said you were too lake for this coming crop year and you will not be able to get canola seed till 2024. Their clever marketing scheme of shorting the market and jacking up the price 20% to create panic buying worked better than expected. Ha Ha
They could give it to me for free and I’m still not growing it.
Most guys in my area struggled to hit 10bu.
We’re a mustard area not a Canola area

Reactions: mustard

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I have no doubt basf certainly is profiteering like most companies are these days, and that is morally and ethically reprehensible, but I do know the shortage of seed compared to the demand is real. Production is down for all sorts of reasons including natural disasters like hail, and there are only so many areas in Western Canada where they are set up to do hybrid seed production (irrigation and leaf cutter bees required) and there's pretty stiff competition for those acres with other valuable crops. Also many acres are not eligible for seed production because of volunteer pressure and certain weeds. No one I know enjoys multiplying seed for canola, so when there are other crops that are similar in revenue, we do them!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have no doubt basf certainly is profiteering like most companies are these days, and that is morally and ethically reprehensible, but I do know the shortage of seed compared to the demand is real. Production is down for all sorts of reasons including natural disasters like hail, and there are only so many areas in Western Canada where they are set up to do hybrid seed production (irrigation and leaf cutter bees required) and there's pretty stiff competition for those acres with other valuable crops. Also many acres are not eligible for seed production because of volunteer pressure and certain weeds. No one I know enjoys multiplying seed for canola, so when there are other crops that are similar in revenue, we do them!
I call bs , they can grow as much seed as they please and even more in South America.
with returns like that don’t believe there’s a shortage all bs

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Would any of you sell anything for less than you could actually get for it ?
I did not see anyone offer to sell their canola this last winter for $17 or $18 when the price was north of $20 because at $17-$18 they were making money so they didn't NEED to get more. I wonder how much of the increase in seed prices goes to the growers. Nobody is going to grow seed canola for the same price, or even close to the same price as commercial seed. Price of commercial canola goes over $20 for the first time in history, what do y'all think that will do to the price being paid to the seed growers??.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There making hand over fist at 12 never mind 16 or 18 bucks a pound. The seed treatment is peanuts in that price. And I’m sure the guy with pivots in Southern Alberta is doing better growing seed canola then Sugar beets, potato’s or silage barley.

·
Registered
30 Posts
seed price is same as last year for us. when you spec out invigor with buteo its just over 700 but basic invigor hasnt really gone up. dekalb hasnt changed either. canadian fertilizer plants will be making some pretty healty profits since cost hasnt gone up since last year but now they get to use the europe gas shortage as an excuse. companies will only be able to use logistics and shortage excuse for so long since freight has dropped significantly and price of raw goods getting closer to pre covid times. cost of doing business and labour has gone up and i think companies are unsure of what future markets will be like so gotta make money before an economic down turn.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Canola does not have the same allure it once had as wheat and other crops have made leaps in yield potential and price at a level it’s competitive with canola but less risk and more responsive to fertility. I’m not growing any more per acre with canola than 10 years ago and margin has gotten worse. Wheat my yields have steadily improved and price makes me wonder why I risk $80 per acre seed and worry it doesn’t get eaten coming out because of a bunch of factors. Really it’s about time other crop options are competitive cause the canola industry has taken this for granted too long. When all new crush capacity comes on line I swear we will be importing canola to keep it going.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I cannot say for sure what the size of the seed crop was this year, but every grower I've spoken to recently has been disappointed this year (were disappointed last year too). And the seed company agronomists felt things were below their expectations. And I know several large operations near me that were wiped out by the hail back in July. Most of their canola probably grew back but it won't be eligible for seed.

Usually when there's a glut of seed, the companies will all cut their acres way back. The last two years acres have been up. The indications we're getting is that the demand for seed acres will be the same or greater next year. So the companies are hungry enough for seed.

I'm not sure how their southern hemisphere operations work. I know our parent seed lines often come from their south american operations. Whether they could multiply seed for Canada down there I don't know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depending on your weed pressures I understand needing the traits, but has anyone looked at photosyntech or rubisco canola seeds? I know this spring there prices hadn’t changed much and the non gm varieties seem to be doing the best yields. Here anyway.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Depending on your weed pressures I understand needing the traits, but has anyone looked at photosyntech or rubisco canola seeds? I know this spring there prices hadn’t changed much and the non gm varieties seem to be doing the best yields. Here anyway.
Do you grow winter or spring varieties? I assume winter ones have an advantage over spring for crop competition against weeds. Winter varieties which could stand our winters would be the holy grail.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
When enough producers get sick of feeding the PARASITES maybe, just maybe, things will change. Because that's what these companies are. They're constantly feeding off of us.

Imagine no one buying a lick of canola seed or fertilizer. Or better yet, imagine 20 or 30 or 40 thousand farmers telling the parasites what price we are willing to pay for their products. We have to make money at this too you know and as the years go by there's less and less meat on the bone left.

We easily forget who actually holds all the power in these toxic relationships....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts