The Combine Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There making hand over fist at 12 never mind 16 or 18 bucks a pound. The seed treatment is peanuts in that price. And I’m sure the guy with pivots in Southern Alberta is doing better growing seed canola then Sugar beets, potato’s or silage barley.
Wrong.
Potatoes easily #1
Seed canola is a good cash crop, but it is only one of many cash crops in irrigated Southern Alberta.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
No doubt seed canola contracts have built a lot of farms in my area.

But potato growers are in another game altogether. When potatoes are good, they are really good. Typically I believe potatoes gross almost double the money per acre as canola seed production. There's even more expansion of potato processing happening, so there's even more pressure for the acres. Normally potato growers stick to a four year rotation.

Last year with canola prices, a regular crop of canola equaled if not beat a crop of seed. Flax definitely beat it. Actually Durum last year beat it. If that were true every year, few of us would bother going to all the work of doing seed canola. It's a pain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you grow winter or spring varieties? I assume winter ones have an advantage over spring for crop competition against weeds. Winter varieties which could stand our winters would be the holy grail.
Depends entirely on year and rotation but we try to plant winter varieties. But we only have a two week window to get it in after wheat on a normal year. If we’re late getting wheat off we’ll go spring.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts