The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having problems with feeding on this head? In winter wheat, and it is doing one of three things:
1) Stalling out and wrapping around center draper
2) Stalling out drum
3) feeder clutch stalling out

Biggest problem is the straw coming under the center draper and plugging it up. We have taken out some of the pieces at the front of the center draper thinking maybe the straw could pass through without plugging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Know exactly what you mean. We have been fighting this problem for the last three weeks and have now ran out of crop. We do not have the problem completely solved but it is much better than it has been. The two big changes we have made that seem to have helped were shifting the side decks in so that they are 39.5 inches apart, ours were at 45.5 inches and then we also changed the hydraulic motor that drives the center canvas and drum. This seems to have made a great improvement. We are running a 30 foot head on a 2388 with field tracker. We have had this problem in 50 bushel spring wheat up to 125 bushel winter wheat so crop conditions do not seem to matter. What set up are you running? We have tried changing the drum height of on the head to the upper position, changed the drum in the feeder house to the up position and moved the feeder chain out as far as we could. We have also changed the pitch of the fingers in the drum on the head but that did not seem to help and in weedy conditions seemed to cause more problems. Very frustrating problem as we have had it plug 8 times in 25 acres on somedays but I think we are slowly getting it figured out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you located? We just started in winter wheat going 60-80 bu/ac - biggest problem is when in weedy parts, it just wraps right around. Then the stalling out - when ever in heavy parts it just stalls.
Did you dealer help? Did they contact Macdon? Is this a brand new head?

·
Registered
82 Posts
We are located in Southwestern Ontario. The head that we have is an 04 model that we bought out of Missouri late last fall. They told us that the head had done 1200 acres of beans last fall and that is all it had been used. We put 400 or 450 acres on it this summer in wheat. When we bought this head it was only the 3rd one in the province at that time and since then a few more have been sold. We have not been dealing with our local dealerships as they have both just sold one each for this season and their mechanics have no field experience. We have been using a dealer a little over an hour west of us that sold the first flex draper in the province 2 years ago. We figure there extra experience is worth the larger service call price tag. For the most part we have been pleased with this dealership but there have been a couple of issues. They did contact Macdon for us and reps from Macdon did then phone me but it has been hit and miss service you could say. Have had them call on a long weekend to follow up on the previous days conversation but then have also been waiting for a phone call from them and still have not heard back from them, so sometimes impressed with them sometimes not.

As for the weeds wrapping right around. What are they wraping around? The drum or the center canvas? If they are wrapping around the drum I would guess that the aggressiveness of the tines in the RTD as they call (the drum on the head) is set too aggressive. If you tip the head all the way forward on the hyraulic center link and look on the right side of the head where the shaft comes through the drum to bolt to the adapter there will be 3 holes on both sides of the shaft. To the front side of the shaft (side towards the front of the head) if the bolt is in the top hole the bolt on the backside of the shaft towards the combine will be in the bottom hole. If this is the case then the tines are in the most aggressive setting and will stay out longer before retracting. What you would want to do is to remove the bolts, they take a 3/4 inch wrench and turn that plate counterclock wise to put the bolts in the middle holes. This will make the tines less aggressive.

This has become windy enough so I will leave it at that but I am curious to know what is happening when you say that it stalls out in the heavy spots. Feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can send you my phone number if you have further questions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Before you condemn the head, you may want to look at your combine feeder house setup, as the 14-2300 Axial-Flows need to have a very aggressive feeder house setup in order to keep up with the extra capacity of the draper heads. Learned alot of this 10 years ago when we first started selling MacDon heads(much of it was leaned the hard way).

First thing is the feeder drum on the combine. A stone retarder drum is an absolute no-no with a MacDon(especially with a Field Tracker machine). MacDon and CaseIH draper head setup manuals will even tell you that the drum is not recommended. Either put a flat drum in the combine or else weld some straps around the stone drum where the feeder chain runs to get the chain away from the drum.

Get the feeder drum as close to the front of the feeder as possible. On Field Tracker machines, this may require some extra feeder chain links. You want the chain to be no more than 2" away from the center canvas on the draper-any more than that and the center canvass can not get rid of the material fast enough, causing the problems you mention.

Serrated feeder chain. Here again, for an extra aggressive feeder house.

I usually set the side drapers so that they cover the center draper by about 1" on each side. I think thats about 42-43" deck opening. That's an "average" setting. In bushy, fluffy crops you can try a wider deck setting; in short crops you may need to go to the narrower setting. Usually I have the feeder drum on the combine in the high(corn) setting; in dry years or short crop you may need to lower in to the middle setting. Also, if you are using a rock trap, use the slowdown sprocket for the rock trap for better feeding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts