The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying an 8010 but do not know if we want a auger or draper head. We farm steep ground and are concerned with the drapers ability to feed. If anyone has any experience let me know. The pic is harvest this summer we had lots of old red iron chasing a rented 9860 still going with an 8010 though!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
From what I've read the old 2062 drapers aren't the best in fluffy tall wheat, stuff tends to boil up on the middle belt in front of the small feeding auger. I think that 98j has a solution for this but I've never seen it, maybe he'll jump in here and tell us more about it.

The 2162 draper is a different head altogether. The head is centered and the center belt is about twice as wide as the 2062's. The center feeding belt is actually wide enough so that it feeds soybeans into the feeder auger in 2 separate streams. I run a 2162 in soybeans but have never harvested wheat with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a large JD and 8010 demoed on my farm this year. The JD threw over loads on high yielding wheat on FLAT ground. How did it do in the hills with it's non leveling sieve??

·
Registered
722 Posts
Impressive looking convoy crawling along the hillside there, 8010when.
Thanks for the shot.

On steep hillsides with a wide span head and a long uphill climb on the low belt, it does bunch up sometimes. I was thinking of short tines mounted on the slats on the belts to hold the crop better. What do others think about this idea?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Definitely go with the draper head. Had a MacDon on 8010 this fall and went 6.0 plus on uneven ground and it cut beans like a golf course green. Don't buy a deere. Several guys in our area switching this year to 70-8010 after corn harvest w/ 200bpa and 20-26% corn went right out the back of the JD STS, no matter the model or header size. 8010 in same field, no problems at twice the speed. Was told the deere doesn't have enough sieve and i'm sure the leveling of the red ones helps.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
[quote author=8010when board=Case thread=10673 post=84908 time=1230065271]Looking at buying an 8010 but do not know if we want a auger or draper head. We farm steep ground and are concerned with the drapers ability to feed. If anyone has any experience let me know. The pic is harvest this summer we had lots of old red iron chasing a rented 9860 still going with an 8010 though!!

How steep does it get?????? Steeper than this??????

Buy the draper........it's the only way that you are going to get
'nuf wheat into that Bad Boy. The new 2588's that are coming on
line down here all have drapers. MCGG had a demo 2388 out a
couple of years back with a 30' draper; made it a real tiger.
Our ace 8010 operator tells me that he does have some minor
issues feeding with the 2060 ( on something real steep, long
belt to the downhill) ........he compensates with the reel. He
loves his flex draper. The big issue that we had with the 2060 had
to do with the reel hitting the grain dividers when the platform
flexed into the up position. Our dealer ( MCGG ) is very good, but it had them stumped. Mac Don was NO help ( hey, we are Mac Don,
we don't HAVE to care) We kept thinking it was an adjustment
problem that we somehow missed. Nope. Had to lock out the
upward flex to finish up the '06 run. Cured it in the shop before
the '07 run and no problem with that since.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey 98j, you guys get that winter blast out there? I thought maybe you'd have some pics' of that ol' 8010 with a snow blower mounted to the front of her clearing the mountain passes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A cousin of mine farms around Tensed Idaho/Tekoa Washington area. He has been running drapers on 8010's for a few years now, as far as I know he really likes them. Pretty sure they are Macdon 36 footers. Pm me if you want his name and number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
go with a draper for shaw bit more maintenance but you will have heaps of time to do it over a tin front , in west oz (dry conditions except current harvest) we have found latest mcdon to be far superior to thier last model. new one has wide centre belt and centre auger running into the draper more seems to take crop off side drapers without relying on centre draper as much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
98J thank you for your response we do have hills like that in our area but the majority is not that steep. We sent a guy down to the Dalles this year to look at the header and also a Headsight auto head system, was wondering if that was your operation?

Thank you all for your responses think that drapers are the way to go sure wish the wheat market would spike like last year so this wasn't such a scary strain on the pocket book!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts