The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are running 36 foot 2062 draper headers on our 8010's. The problem is in heavy 75 bushel wheat straw or heavier we can't get it to feed up the feeder house properly. we've tried speeding up the drum and feeder house, raising and lowering the drum, sliding it out to grab it and pulling it closer to the feeder chain. We've slid the outside drapers out to spread the mat of straw over a wider area, but it still balls up on the center hydraulic cylinder. It seems like it needs a little beater drum to knock it down in front of the feeder house so it won't ball up. We used to have 1052's on 2188's and the long auger above the drapers, but they would shake the header apart. so we took them off. are the new ones better? Love the combines but right now the limiting factor is the headers, the combines want more but I can't feed them. any other tips?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your adaptor does not have the auger above the center draper? That is a must in heavy crops. All our heads have those on them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is that the auger that Macdon calls a "upper cross auger"? I'm no good with links but maybe I can tell how to get there...go to the Macdon home page and click on the draper section, in the draper section click on options and that will show you the upper cross auger option.

If you read 98j's posts he talks about this issue and that "steep" is supposed to have a fix for it in a future post. In 98j's pics you can see that they don't have this auger on their draper.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
what do you mean about the auger in front? I just bought a new 2162 MD FD70 will it need one in soybeans ? the 2162 has a larger auger and center belt looks better to me

·
Registered
809 Posts
You shouldn't need it with soybeans. They get so tangled together and feed easy, wheat is fluffy and slick.

So you went with the 2162, Macdon has really changed the way your new one feeds as compared to the 2062 in Hopalong's pic. Your center belt does not come under the draper feeder drum, it ends in front of it, and the center belt on the 2162 is much wider. Let us know how you make out with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Trade off your 2062 for a 2162. We never got our 2062 to feed properly all year last year, and ended up parking them because we had so many feeding problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do have the auger in the adaptor but I was wondering about one out in front on the header to keep straw pushed down? Because straw flows nice until it hits the center then it starts building up on the center hydraulic cylinder for the reel lift and hinders a lot of the flow in big straw. In Spring wheat they do great, but in Winter Wheat I think the 35 foot auger header would be more efficient right now, just frustrated. and really want them to work, instead of trading for new ones. Any other ideas to try?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you tried speeding the side draper up or slowing them down? We swath with one this year and the draper speed was very critical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes we have slowed the side drapers down trying not to over load the center draper, helped a little, but still not the magic fix. We've done a lot of little things that have helped some, but still not as efficient as they should be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I tried slowing it down also but I found out it needs sped up because if you slow it down it loads the side draper all the way up. With them loaded up that is that much more material going on to the center draper. Give it a shot...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hi Bandit,
We were having the same issues in a 50 bushel wheat crop and we needed to go faster. We did the same as you moving the little drum around, up and down, speeding the canvasses up and nothing seemed to help until we took the black dust shield off the front of the 8010 feederhouse and lifted the feeder chain to the highest setting. We picked up a couple of mph and that bunching or grain stalling in front of the little auger seemed to really go down. We do have the upper cross auger on our head and I don't know if it would help you in this case because with ours the wheat still stalled or hesitated in front of that little auger.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,234 Posts
bandit

Does a 8010 have smooth or serrated feeder chain slats? Serrated better.
Dust shields removed as per cnotill suggestion? I also doubt upper cross auger would help unless crop crawling back draper panels before cross draper. But it would hurt not feeding "but they would shake the header apart"? Why? Your cross auger has bolt on serrated teeth (adapter auger that is I think, been a while) are they in place? Yours is an 873 adapter and not like the flex draper adapter in Hopalong's post correct? I hope you get this to feed I know how frustrating this is.

Fred.

·
Super Moderator
4,234 Posts
farmertony/midwest

I run a D 60 D/CA 20, same as 2162 adapter but not a flex header.We have to have upper cross auger for peas and canola, not sure on other crops.
All feeding problems disappeared with CA 20, limited by feeder house-- engine power-- while OK grain loss (9860).
Have heard that new headers work well with the King Kong of header testers the 590R.

Fred.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same feeding issue too. I raised the upper cross auger as high as it would go. Got rid of the black dust shield also that was mounted on the front of the 8010. Widen MacDon's plastic guide shields in front of the feeder house. And as cnotill said make sure the feeder chain stop blocks are in the high position. I sped the side draper belts to the 5 position and I had no more feeding issues.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
so have you had any luck with the drapers?

we don't cut wheat or id love to help.

we sure like our 2062's in beans..

good luck with it

I did cut some wheat this year but nowhere near your yield lol

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
going to have a big tough bean harvest around here. was going to get a 2062 until I saw 2162 (,originally was going to upgrade to a 35'2020 ) but the way it looks to me everyone will use drapers before long my dealer has sold a couple 2062's hope they work allright

·
Registered
104 Posts
2062 in peas was a nightmare - don't know about beans.

I read all the previous posts....we tried everything. What did work best was parking them in our yard and swathing the rest.

It took us the better part of 1 month last year before we made the decision...and we lost the best days of harvest, and lost ALOT of $$$$$ on crop quality.

Until someone can prove otherwise, there will not be another macdon in my yard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We love our 974 MacDon in beans. We had a 03' 1020 flex before and what a piece of junk! The Macdon shaves the ground like you wouldn't believe and no more bunching or wrapping around the cross auger. It just feeds so smooth you can start earlier and go later with the draper both in wheat and beans.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is how we set them up today. We staggered the feeder chains and pulled the dust shields. The feeder chain is already in the high position and they are serrated. My next question is the auger right now is in the middle position, we put it in the highest, but then the fingers hit the top of the header. We could have left it in the high position, but would have had to slide it back. Right now we feel its more important to get the auger in the adaptor as far forward as posible to grab the wheat. Or is it more important to get the auger high? we weren't able to try these settings today because of rain, but I do thank everyone that has offered some advice. If these setting don't work I think we'll look at putting those full top augers in, I believe they are called bean augers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bandit, put the cross auger as far back and high as you can. There is suppose to be only 1 1/2 to 2 inch clearance of the cross auger and your feeder chain in an elevated position. ( meaning material lifting your feeder chain up) I stuck a block in there and measured my clearance and I could only get it to about 2 1/2. However it worked for me! Make sure to to have your side drapers on the #5 setting for speed. I had the same type of yields you are experiencing too and this worked for me. Let me know if this helps or you get it figured out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts