The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2188 it will show it charging for about the first half-hour every morning then for the rest of the day it just keeps getting lower and lower. Then toward evening it shows only around 12.2.(as read on the volt reading ont the yield monitor.) I never run with the lights on for very long. It always starts in the mornings, but just barely. My batteries are two years old. It started after sitting all winter, so the batteries never were dead. I have cleaned both the positive and ground connections on the cab. I just put a new alternator on, no difference. It just seems like every 21/23 I've ever been around is like this, I just would like to see them charge better. Sometimes at the end of the day I've had to turn off the lights and AC/fan to get the separator/feeder to engage. No I haven't dove into it with my multi-meter, I need to do that. There has to be a bad connection or cable or wire somewhere. Or is it just that those alternators loose that much efficiency when they get hot?

·
Registered
54 Posts
We've had several problems with those alternators. I used to go through about 2 a season. I tried taking off the downspout every morning and cleaning it out so it would run cooler but still no dice. I also tried replacing the voltage regulator and brushes and that seemed to be a total waste. One one combine we did find the ground cables weren't making connections to the frame. There is also a ground strap in the right front shoulder of the combine by your cab filter that makes a difference. If you can put your volt meter on and read the actuals it helps to troubleshoot. I finally put an end to my problems when I was introduced to buzzanator alternators.

http://www.fondyautoelectric.com/webpages/BUZZANATOR.HTML

there is only one small electrical connection you add to make it work great. I have had one on now for 3 years and 1000 hours on it and it's still going strong. I'm a dealer for them and they cost way less than the factory one. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts