The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 03 2388 since new, and the only time we have all six lights working is when we have taken them out, cleaned them up and held our tongue right when putting the housing back up. Never have had six in the field. The bulbs don't seem to seat properly in the socket, even after moving the contacts and checking all connections.
I'd sure change if they were available.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'd recommend buying some hella fog lights, maybe even one or two driving lights for a longer distance forward view. Even when all the lights are working on a 23xx, they are lacking a bit.

HIDs are nice, however they are expensive. HIDs can be made to produce many different temperatures of light, so mixing them with standard halogens only works right if you match them correctly. If the temperatures are too far apart, it is going to be hard on your eyes.

My impression with the lights on a 2388 is not so much an issue with the bulb, but rather the harness it plugs in to. If you spray some electrical contact cleaner on the connection when you replace a bulb, that might help them from loosing contact.

-Lance

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
We use WD40 in all our "problem" connections. You could put in those really bright blue or green fog lights in the out side 2 lights, might cause some UFO reports though

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:...You could put in those really bright blue or green fog lights in the out side 2 lights...

The fog lights I were referring to from hella have to do with the beam pattern, not the color. Check the link to see a driving beam vs a fog beam.

Proper fog lights are a yellow/gold color, but that doesn't help us at all on a combine. All of the colored lights get their color from a tint on the bulb or the lens. Either way, that tint is a color filter, thus reducing the light output. While colored lights on a car look cool, they aren't as bright as a non-filtered light.

http://tinyurl.com/2frzue

-Lance

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was at our dealer and saw that Case is offering a replacement headlight for the cab lights on the 2100/2300 combines for improved reliability. Has anybody used these? They were $28 each but it seems like we can never keep all six lights on our 2366 working at the same time and the other two machines we had were the same way. I've got to double check some numbers to be sure but I think I found some HID conversion kits for the same number of bulb as the original lights on ebay for around $130 per light and I may try a couple of those instead. I've got one HID light on my planter tractor plus I want to buy another before fall so I can mount one on each mirror mount on our 2366 about 2' out from the cab to try to put some light where it won't shine on all the dust coming up from the head and feederhouse.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've got a pair of 100 watt KC flood lights on my planter tractor along with the HID (the HID actually replaced a pair of 100 watt long range KC lights) and I prefer the color of the HID. The HIDs are expensive but by swapping them between my planter/sprayer tractor and the combine they will be getting alot of use throughout the year and they require very little power to run compared to halogens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:I was at our dealer and saw that Case is offering a replacement headlight for the cab lights on the 2100/2300 combines for improved reliability. Has anybody used these? They were $28 each but it seems like we can never keep all six lights on our 2366 working at the same time and the other two machines we had were the same way. I've got to double check some numbers to be sure but I think I found some HID conversion kits for the same number of bulb as the original lights on ebay for around $130 per light and I may try a couple of those instead. I've got one HID light on my planter tractor plus I want to buy another before fall so I can mount one on each mirror mount on our 2366 about 2' out from the cab to try to put some light where it won't shine on all the dust coming up from the head and feederhouse.

These headlights are the way to repair the troublesome problem, what usally happens is a poor connection between the bulb and the socket and it will normally work intermitantly till it eats off the lead contacts on the bulb. The new light gets rid of this set up and is noticably brighter. It plugs directly into the factory wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts