The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting machines ready for wheat. The 2144 feeder will quit a moment after reaching full speed. No head attached. It might have something to do with the seat switch but I haven't had a chance to look yet. What else might it be?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
i think theres a sensor on lh side of feeder house, if your setting on seat shouldn't be a issue, can jump seat switch, scott.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would have to agree with scott. Probably one of the first things to check would be speed sensor on reverser/rock trap chain. Plug might have got pulled apart or wire got caught on chain if feeder was removed and wire didn't get routed properly when put back together. Sensor itself could be defective also, that is not unheard of. Or maybe a mouse got at some wiring (hopefully not !). Hey goalie, you guys are running a 35 ft. draper on your 6088 correct? If so I was wondering how it handled that in wheat. I'm sure that it would be fine in beans, I just thought it would be a fair bit in wheat especially if you were taking a lot of straw in 75 - 100 bpa crop.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are actually running a 36' 2062. The 6088 handles it fine, we just don't go as fast as the 2588 with a 30'. I've never understood why people have a concern about header size. For the most part you just drive to the capacity of the combine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good morning. I think most farmers that are concerned with speed are still thinking of auger heads. When you have to grind along at a snail pace there is more loss with the auger throwing grain forward without the constant force of material against it. The draper heads have eliminated the need for forward speed to be effective with the harvest. I agree with you completely that there is too much worry about how fast you can go. I like to, so called, "grind" across the field and spend more time filling the truck because the yield is good than impress the neighbor by how many acres I can cut in a day. The same is with the corn head, big head, slow speed, less breakage on the machine and better grain samples. It keeps your cart man from spending too much time on the phone. A question, how much weight did you have to put on the rear end of your 6088 to carry the 36' head? How close is your harvest? We are 10 days away. Every crop looks great here in the middle of the state, especially if you were planting on Apr. 12th or so. Corn is shoulder high to a short man, boob high to a tall lady. The soys are closing the 15" rows. Be safe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh Billy,Billy. Noone measures corn like you do. How have you been keeping? I assume your Russian harem has gone home and left you with memories that make you smile.

We didn't add any extra weight to the 6088. We ordered it 12 row ready.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Russian, Siberian, ladies are still here. I will grieve next week as they are leaving Chicago Sunday morning. I am planning a full day in the windy city tomorrow and overnight in a hotel before the early flight. It is a wonderful experience to have traveled amongst the countries of the world and to have them come visit your home. I am "farmerly" pleased that they are beautiful to boot. We have shared many good times and compared the machines and the crops in my region. Two years will have to pass before I can be blessed again in their home. I am glad your machines are coming together for the harvest.
I added beet juice or something like that to my rear wheels when I added the 35' 2062 last year. I can hardly wait to cut the soybeans this year. A few more rains and we will be harvesting a great crop. The Lord blesses us that recognize His desires and returns all we give in bounties far beyond our giving. Yes, I do have different ways of measuring corn. A blessing that I have such measuring devices. More rain is on the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts